has there ever been a state champion that....

sneaker

Lynn Fiechter was a state runner-up as a junior at Adams Central.  The next summer he became a member of his church and gave up wrestling because he didn't feel he could be Christ-like while trying to pin his opponent.  He's still the same conscientious and wise man today.  His four sons; Vince Troy Darren and Ben reflect his personality as they wrestle for Southern Wells.

I could be wrong but wasn't there someone who won state his junior year, signed to play football at a D-1 school and they didn't want him to wrestle his senior year?

I think you are thinking of Bemenderfer from Penn.  He placed third his junior year then didn't wrestle his senior year because he had a football scholarship to Northwestern.  The only one I can think of that fits this criteria is Galka from Hobart.  He won state as a freshman then quit wrestling for a year, then came back to wrestle again his junior or senior year.  I don't remember if he ever won state again, but I think he did place high his senior year.

I think you are thinking of Bemenderfer from Penn.  He placed third his junior year then didn't wrestle his senior year because he had a football scholarship to Northwestern.  The only one I can think of that fits this criteria is Galka from Hobart.  He won state as a freshman then quit wrestling for a year, then came back to wrestle again his junior or senior year.  I don't remember if he ever won state again, but I think he did place high his senior year.

Galka

State Champ FR -- 103

State Qualifier SO -- 119

State Champ JR -- 130

State Runner Up SR -- 135

Never took a year off.

Galka

State Champ FR -- 103

State Qualifier SO -- 119

State Champ JR -- 130

State Runner Up SR -- 135

Never took a year off.

I stand corrected.  I think what stuck out to me was that he won state one year and didn't place the next.

I stand corrected.  I think what stuck out to me was that he won state one year and didn't place the next.

I think you might have been confused on Galka because he was to wrestle 112 as a Sophomore and took a growth spurt once the season started that made him unable to do so.  He ended up wrestling 119 for the State series after a team mate at that weight was injured, if I recall correctly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.