John Friedt passed away today around 9:30am.

Andy Friedt

Mary, The Entire Friedt family, and The Belmont Wrestling Community,

You have are our deepest sympathy and condolences for the loss of your husband, father, grandfather, uncle, and mentor. You will be in our prayers for the days, weeks , and months ahead.  May God give you his comfort and strength during this very, very difficult time. Be assured that John is at peace in a much higher place and God has one of the best wrestling coaches on His team in heaven!  PLEASE if there is anything we can do or provide for you just ask and we will be there!

God bless and comfort you,

The Columbia City Wrestling Club

Mary and family:

As you know I have gone through 3 totally unexpected deaths with my dad and brothers. My thoughts and prayers are with you all I can say is emphasize the good memories in your mind, it will help you get through this time. Sincerely, Old 1988 , John M. Schattner

Thank you for what you have done for this sport and so many young men Coach Friedt.  Your legacy will no doubt  live on through their lives.  I do not know Coach Friedt personally, however, any family that was willing to allowed him the time to help guide so many young men deserves our thoughts and sympathy at this time. 

Thank you Coach Friedt,  Thank you for helping me with my stand ups, Thank you for helping me with my firemans carry, thank you for staying after practice to help me lose weight. Thank you for all the words of encouragement. I know its been over 20 years but it feels like yesterday that you were helping me. Its amazing how one person can make a difference.  You made a difference.

Coach Mendez Scottsburg wrestling

John and Mary Friedt ARE the heart of Bellmont wrestling.

We were broken today. We will cry and we will hurt, but Friday night 7 wrestlers will  march and John Friedt will be right there behind them, smiling that big smile, just as proud of them today as when they were 5 yrs old and shooting their first double leg. Close your eyes, you will see him.

We all love you Mary, as we loved John.

John Friedt, simply the best!

John Kintz 

So after an afternoon and evening of talking to Bellmont Alumni Wrestlers, I was asked to spread the word to all former wrestlers to wear their State Medals ( Individual/Team) to the viewing for Coach Friedt. I, as other wrestlers think it would be a great way to pay tribute to a man that not only taught us about wrestling, but taught us about life. So to all former Bellmont wrestlers who were graced with having John Friedt as a coach, help us pay tribute to a man that the tradition of Bellmont wrestling is all about.

"Aim High, The Arrow Will Fly!"

John and Mary Friedt ARE the heart of Bellmont wrestling.

We were broken today. We will cry and we will hurt, but Friday night 7 wrestlers will  march and John Friedt will be right there behind them, smiling that big smile, just as proud of them today as when they were 5 yrs old and shooting their first double leg. Close your eyes, you will see him.

We all love you Mary, as we loved John.

John Friedt, simply the best!

John Kintz 

Great post John. 

Mary, Dan, Jenny and all the Friedts, we are grateful for not only the coaching, but all that John did for us ! 

Jeff Myers

When i heard John had passed i was at work and kinda had to put it out of my mind as best i could, But once i got off and was driving home all i could do was think about him and how he was as my coach,  And how much pain Mary and his kids must be in. It was hard to drive while fighting back tears. Now I was not one of the best wrestlers in the room. when ya have a state championship team like we did in 1994 it was hard to keep a varsity spot. With Myers, Krider, Werst, Hays, Girod, Anderson, just to name a few, So I was in and out of a spot all that year but no matter what John was one of those coaches who would treat you the same as he did a state champ. He always made you believe you could be there too, and that is a really good quality you want to have in your coaches. I know all the coaches Bellmont has currently are the same caliber as John was. He never really got mad. He tought you not to sweat the small stuff, if you didn't get a move right away he was patient and work extra on it with you even when the rest of the room was going on to the next move. And if you didn't smile around John there was something wrong with ya! The guy could make you laugh no matter how bad your day was. his daughter Jenny was like a sister to all of us being a mat maid and camera/stat girl. plus she was friends with my sister and played softball on the same teams. So John and Mary were like extended family. John also coached my little brother in his highschool years. He was there for both of us durring freestyle practices, Not to mention the countless weekends we all spent at AAU Wrestling Tournaments! Anyone who knows the Friedts know that wrestling is in there blood just like the Faurotes. Mary and John are like mother and father wrestling. I feel like we just lost our Dad. The pain from loosing John is Terrible. It all seems so unfair and way to early for him to go. I feel sad for the kids coming up in the middle school program that will never get to meet and be coached by such a great teacher and man. Mary, Dan, And Jenny I am so sorry for your loss and i pray that God helps you get threw this very dark and hard time. Our family is always here if you need anything.

We love you John! We will miss you!

Jason Hendricks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.