Who has the studs to win the Coaches trophy?

oldtimer1984

So are all you team staters sayin, that Teams prior to the Team State tourney, were not TRUE CHAMPS?  

They are team champs based on the only criteria available at the time.  That doesn't mean that that system was the best way to determine a team champion.  It more of an issue of trying to figure out the best way to determine should be the criteria that constitutes being the Team Championship.  Clearly a team vs. team  dual meet situation is a more well rounded way of showing the best team compared to an individual tournament where the whole team is not represented and when multiple other individuals are also factors.  Yes, in some years the individual tournament point system does get it right.  But the proof this seems to be in the fact that in many years the team that won the Coaches Trophy didn't even make it to the finals of  team state.  But, obviously the IHSAA stance seems to be that the individual tournament may be the easier functioning system to go about determine the Team Champion even if it is not quite the best way of doing it.  As, mentioned above if they are going to go back to the old way I'd at least like to see them add each round of the tournaments series points together thus allowing the entire teams point to be factored.  Maybe not the prefect system but seems a little better than just adding the points earned by a few members.  If they want to develop a class system around those point then I guess that is an option too.

I still say their is something special and different about the feeling and atmosphere of a team state competition that you just don't get at individual state.  Regardless of it we loose the event or not, it is worth attending this year just to see what happens when everyone on the team is looked at as a major roll player win or lose and not just the top athletes.   FYI, yes I was actually saying it would be fair and helpful for development if we had a 3 class team state system way before the talk of removing the team event.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.