Who has the studs to win the Coaches trophy?

oldtimer1984

Don't speak of   "that which shall not be named!"   Talk of it may anger the powers that be into disliking the team tournament.   ::)  But, yeah a few teams have the individual power needed to have a legit shot of garnering the points needed to win "that which shall not be named."

Keep in mind i am of the old school way of things. I heard it will return to the old ways next year. Is this true?  

Thus, my earlier tongue in cheek post (via Harry Potter reference).  You can find previous threads regarding team state issue further down the board.

I like a sleeper team like Indian Creek!! they impressed me at semi state.

I agree.  The other teams listed here have the largest man power to score high.  But, if those teams don't have several high placers, and Indian Creek get a few champs and high placers they have a great chance to win it.

Indian Creek only has a shot at 215 and thats it , everything else is a prayer .

Lets see 135 ..Past state Champ- Past Runner UP and the Only Super 32 winner ever from Indiana

189 - 3rd as soph..went Ot with state champ - undefeated and NO 1 all of last year until he hurt his knee. undefeated this year!

I would say....even without the prayers there is a chance..Plus if the Heavy wrestles like he can....they could have 4!

I first want to say I am a big fan of the Indian Creek kids.  Aaron has worked out with me many times.  Ethan and Trey grew up competing with my son and even working out together.  They are studs and also great kids.  With that being said, here is my problem.  Indian Creek can win a state title without fielding a full team.  Everyone wants to jump on this wagon of the team state is flawed and yes, there needs to be some changes but I will contend that the old system was flawed.  Seriously, how can anyone think that a team that is not even a full squad and would lose to over 125 teams according to the Genious rating should be state champs.  Now that is flawed.  Lets work together to keep something that is working.

M109R,

I could not agree with you more.  Not to take anything away from any school that has a chance to win Individual State, but this is such a screwed up way to determine the Team State Champs.  If we lose Team State, coaches are going to be sitting there watching two kids who are not even on their team determine whether or not their Team wins state.  Maybe I am different, but I would much rather have my wrestler determine whether or not we win a team title.  Then the TEAM that wins a TEAM title at Individual State can have a huge celebration on the floor with the 5 guys that are wrestling on saturday and the 3 coaches allowed on the floor.  Everyone else will be in stands and at home...dumb.

Class Team State....clap, clap, clap....Class Team State...clap, clap, clap...

I will never understand how anyone could not think that this is absolutely the best direction for our sport.

Darrick Snyder

Then the TEAM that wins a TEAM title at Individual State can have a huge celebration on the floor with the 5 guys that are wrestling on saturday and the 3 coaches allowed on the floor.  Everyone else will be in stands and at home...dumb.

And this comes from a Coach who has won the coaches trophy.  I think the guy is in his element here.  He knows what he is talking about.  I concur sir!!  Having team state forces a coach to spend time and concentrate on a kid who might otherwise be left behind because he cant score points in the individual tournament. 

Lets see 135 ..Past state Champ- Past Runner UP and the Only Super 32 winner ever from Indiana

189 - 3rd as soph..went Ot with state champ - undefeated and NO 1 all of last year until he hurt his knee. undefeated this year!

I would say....even without the prayers there is a chance..Plus if the Heavy wrestles like he can....they could have 4!

sounds like indian creek has some studs......good luck to them.....

This is not a criticism of Chesterton.  It's just been so long I can't remember all the details.

In 1989 when Chesterton was the team state champion (under the old system), what was their dual meet record?  Did they win the DAC that season?

At state, 1st place Chesterton scored 59.5 points and Lawrence North 51 team points.  That wasn't the lowest total in history.  However, that certainly was on the low end compared to other state title teams.  I am trying to recall if they were one of these super teams who won based upon 4 or so guys.  I recall Davidson won and Jackson got 3rd or so. 

I think that both championships have value.  I think that team state should be classed to make it relevant, and it needs to be saved to determine who is the best duel meet team in the state.  However, I also like to know which team has the most wrestlers wrestling at the highest level.  Why does the IHSAA have to be offended if we continue to crown an individual state tournament team champ. 

... for that matter, why can't the IHSAA just award both trophies themselves.  You know, make it official.  So they have to pay for another award... totally worth it.

I first want to say I am a big fan of the Indian Creek kids.  Aaron has worked out with me many times.  Ethan and Trey grew up competing with my son and even working out together.  They are studs and also great kids.  With that being said, here is my problem.  Indian Creek can win a state title without fielding a full team.  Everyone wants to jump on this wagon of the team state is flawed and yes, there needs to be some changes but I will contend that the old system was flawed.  Seriously, how can anyone think that a team that is not even a full squad and would lose to over 125 teams according to the Genious rating should be state champs.  Now that is flawed.  Lets work together to keep something that is working.

We did have a full squad this year but I agree with you a 100%, without a team state  tourney they better come up with a better way of scoring than they do now for the Coaches Trophy.

We did have a full squad this year but I agree with you a 100%, without a team state  tourney they better come up with a better way of scoring than they do now for the Coaches Trophy.

At the very lease they should add the scores from sectionals through state for each team.  While this also has its kinks it at least accounts for the scores of the entire team not just those studs who made it to the state finals.  I would think this system would show the top team match up with the squads that end up with a large semi-state individual showing more than just have a few studs make the final rounds of state.

So are all you team staters sayin, that Teams prior to the Team State tourney, were not TRUE CHAMPS? 

I am with you. I wrestled for Delta from 1980 to 1984. We won the State Title all four years, also in 1985. So, five years straight at MSA actually the first five Tournaments there. We only lost one dual in those five years, it was only by a couple of points and we had one of the toughest schedules in the state. My point being, we won it the old way and I challenge anyone to say we would have not won it in todays format. That being said, there are positive things for both sides, but the old way allows the smaller schools to have a chance to win state....look I love Wrestling and this is how I see it. At sectionals, everyone has a full team. After sectionals most teams lose some wrestlers, the ones that have some left, wrestle for the regional title, the team that has the most place winners wins, but they may have lost a few wrestlers along the way to the finals....we do this until the best of the best are at the state meet. If you have two wrestlers left,  that could win titles your team places high, but may not win, because another team had one champ but 4 placers...1982 '83 we won, because we had one champ, one second, two thirds, and a fifth place winner. Oh, to the person who said only five on the mat celebrating a State Championship. It is awesome and the whole team got rings and was with us through all the practices up to the finals, total team effort....just something to ponder. What made that format great was the fact that if you got beat you were done. So, you, as a wrestler had to make a decision, work harder to accomplish your goals or go out for basketball. Most of our guys took it as a challenge and ended up wrestling in the finals their senior year and if not win a title, they placed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.