Completely ridiculous: Brad Harper

Penn04

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since it was a lineup discrepancy, one must assume it was at team regionals.

"Harper said those two wrestled the first match of the year at those weights, then flip-flopped the rest of the season. The mistake wasn't detected through the sectional, team regional, or individual regional and semistate." Read the article...

I know when I was coaching at Griffith and we were wrestling Merrillville for the Regional Team title, Alex Tsirtsis was questioned about being able to wrestle 140 and Bobby Cox was present.  We had to show him that on our Sectional roster that Alex was indeed listed at 140 and according to Bobby Cox, he stated that Alex could only wrestle 140 and 145 as per the rules.  It is a good thing that this  is the only punishment that Penn received, it could have been worse.  I know Brad and he is indeed a straight up individual, just like he said someone made a mistake.

I know when I was coaching at Griffith and we were wrestling Merrillville for the Regional Team title, Alex Tsirtsis was questioned about being able to wrestle 140 and Bobby Cox was present.  We had to show him that on our Sectional roster that Alex was indeed listed at 140 and according to Bobby Cox, he stated that Alex could only wrestle 140 and 145 as per the rules.  It is a good thing that this  is the only punishment that Penn received, it could have been worse.  I know Brad and he is indeed a straight up individual, just like he said someone made a mistake.

So is the issue here that Manspeaker was listed at 135 on the list submitted to the state and wrestled at 130?

So is the issue here that Manspeaker was listed at 135 on the list submitted to the state and wrestled at 130?

That is the issue. 

The coaches have to submit the roster PRIOR to the sectional meeting.  That way a coach can't get there and find out where kids are and perhaps dodge someone or change their line up anymore than allowing a kid to wrestle up one weight class from where they are listed on the sectional roster.  My guess is Penns AD sent the wrong roster for the sectional roster and no one at the meeting checked it.  Otherwise when the seeding was going on they would have been able to say that Manspeaker was listed at 135 and he is NOT allowed to wrestle down a weight. 

If it is caught early enough, I belive the IHSAA allows you to change, however there is a fee to do so. 

If it is caught early enough, I belive the IHSAA allows you to change, however there is a fee to do so. 

A fee??? Is the IHSAA there for the kids or just to create revenue for their own lazy tail do nothing jobs?  Don't answer that.

I guess we should just be grateful that Cox didn't punish the student, as the IHSAA is apt to do.  What a bunch of clowns.

The same basic thing happened to the coach from East Central......they had the choice of a kid not wrestling in the Semi-State or the schoolpaying a $500 fine and the coach not being allowed t coach at the State Finals.  They took the suspension and fine.

A fee??? Is the IHSAA there for the kids or just to create revenue for their own lazy tail do nothing jobs?  Don't answer that.

I guess we should just be grateful that Cox didn't punish the student, as the IHSAA is apt to do.  What a bunch of clowns.

I am sure the hefty fee/fine is to make sure mistakes don't happen very often.  Not sure all athletic departments have an extra 500 bones laying around.

I agree this is a nice ruling by the IHSAA because it still allows the kids to compete. 

I am sure the hefty fee/fine is to make sure mistakes don't happen very often.  Not sure all athletic departments have an extra 500 bones laying around.

I agree this is a nice ruling by the IHSAA because it still allows the kids to compete. 

it's a coaching mistake. I can't imagine the uproar if they banned the kids from wrestling.

it's a coaching mistake. I can't imagine the uproar if they banned the kids from wrestling.

Happened at the Warren Central Sectional. I don't know if this is a different violation but Franklin Central and Beech Grove both had wrestlers on the entry list but not their Alpha List. FC entered a back up, BG didn't have one so they had to forfeit that weight.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.