Updated Wednesday 2/16/11: Coach Uncle John Friedt needs a lot of prayers today.

Andy Friedt

Coach Friedt has more wrestling knowledge than anyone I have ever met. If I ever was in a slump or had trouble with my shot and couldn't get it fixed I went to coach Friedt.  I remember one time especially my sophomore year when I was struggling.  Friedt came up with multiple different workouts for me and got me right back to normal.  I too would not be the wrestler I was without him.  For what I can say about him as a coach he was an even a better person.  I always had fun with coach Friedt.  My prayers go out to John, Mary, and the Friedt family.  I know you can pull through this. 

Thanks for everything you have ever done for me John.

Doug Linthicum

To Mary, John , and the rest of the Friedt family,

You are in our prayers for John to make a full recovery and for God to give you his strength and comfort during this difficult time! Your family has had a great influence on the sport of wrestling in the entire State from the littlest wrestlers through the  college wrestlers.

God Bless You,

Columbia City Wrestling Club

As I was growing up in the Decatur/Bellmont area, my parents would tell me there were 2 words that I should not use in a phrase. Always and never was preached to my sons over the years. Not untill today I found a meaning to use these words for a purpose. When my eldest son John started wrestling with the Decatur Wrestling Club in 1992, and youngest son Will in 1995, more than I can count we were the last to leave practice. Thank you John Friedt for NEVER telling us that it was time to go, and Thank you John Friedt for ALWAYS being a gentleman. Your guidance helped my sons become men over the years.

Jeff Sheets

We talk about the heart and soul of Bellmont Wrestling often and what great role models/coaches we have.  We truely lost a large part of that today. John was a true champion, a great role model and wonderful coach!!!  I will truely miss seeing him on the sidelines and in the shadows where he always was when it came to the sport.  May he now find peace and others that have gone before him and rumble the wrestling mat's in heaven.  And may the ones who have been touch by his abilities as  a coach and simply a person continue his legacy of encouraging others. RIP Big John we love you and will think of you often!  :'(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.