Picks for 189 at State

SlickRodz

What a great match up -- Fun to see the depth at a big guy weight.

From what I've seen it's a 3 dog race between Stevenson, Sliga and Berry (haven't seen Garret Goldman - so I can't really comment)

I would have said only 2 until seeing Berry at the Al Smith.

That being said...

In Semi's -- I'll go with Sliga over Stevenson in a tight one -I give the edge to Sliga on the feet and the edge to Stevenson on the mat. The difference coming down Stevenson failing to score a takedown due to Sliga's freakish splits on the edge of the mat.

Sliga obviously had a GREAT summer and he just keeps getting better - scary better. Stevenson missed a lot of the summer with injury (knee - I'm pretty sure) - Just trying to find any edge I can as these 2 are both great

Finals -- Sliga over Berry for the championship. If this match up happens it will be interesting to see how/if Sliga handles the strength and aggression of Berry.

Regardless of the outcomes - should be exciting to watch and they are great kids that represent our state well.

How is Berry's endurance though? He's a big guy, can he hang with these guys for 3 hard periods or will he get gassed? I've never seen him, just heard about him.

Again only saw him at the Al Smith but he pushed the pace in the matches I saw.

In the finals he was a take down machine, looked like he could go for days.  I don't think his endurance will be an issue.

Every one had Atwood as a lock after Stevenson was injured; Stevenson was the lock last year until he was injured. If Stevenson would have not gotten injured last year the out come at 189 would have been completely different.

I don't think you can say Stevenson was a lock last year.  Atwood beat everyone bad all year including Johnson-Jones, so to say that Stevenson was a lock is absurd. 

I don't think you can say Stevenson was a lock last year.  Atwood beat everyone bad all year including Johnson-Jones, so to say that Stevenson was a lock is absurd. 

Stevenson Beat Atwood for the freestyle State championship in 2009, Stevenson also beating Johnson-Jones a total of 3 times in 2009, with the closes match being 8-3

What a great match up -- Fun to see the depth at a big guy weight.

From what I've seen it's a 3 dog race between Stevenson, Sliga and Berry (haven't seen Garret Goldman - so I can't really comment)

I would have said only 2 until seeing Berry at the Al Smith.

That being said...

In Semi's -- I'll go with Sliga over Stevenson in a tight one -I give the edge to Sliga on the feet and the edge to Stevenson on the mat. The difference coming down Stevenson failing to score a takedown due to Sliga's freakish splits on the edge of the mat.

Sliga obviously had a GREAT summer and he just keeps getting better - scary better. Stevenson missed a lot of the summer with injury (knee - I'm pretty sure) - Just trying to find any edge I can as these 2 are both great

Finals -- Sliga over Berry for the championship. If this match up happens it will be interesting to see how/if Sliga handles the strength and aggression of Berry.

Regardless of the outcomes - should be exciting to watch and they are great kids that represent our state well.

as far as wrestling in the off season Stevenson beat  the NHSCA Sophomore National Champ, James Suvak of St. Ed?s,  9-1, 6-2,

Stevenson as a sophomore lost to the Champ (who now wrestles D1) in overtime, Stevenson placed 3rd that year.

Sliga, well everyone knows his accomplishments.

What has Berry done?  not being a smarta** just curious to what his resume looks like. 

Goldman over Berry  then Goldman over Boots

Stevenson over Sliga 2-2 in 45 overtimes

Stevenson over Goldman for championship

How about 189 next season Berry vs Sliga Berry's only loss was the 1-0 loss to State Champion Garret Goldman 

Hard not to see these guys meet next year!  I think Berry kind of let Goldman up thinking he would have time to shoot and score but it never came.  Then hats of to Goldman because he rode him like a horse. 

Goldman winning it all says a lot about Berry's 1-0 lose. 

Atwood and Johnson-Jones were better than the Fargo cadet field (Atwood senior national finalist); and Stevenson is top 10 in the nation, so he's better than the Fargo cadet field as well.  If you're talking cadet 189 vs. Indiana 189 the last two years, yes, Fargo was easier.

What's the actual age difference between Sliga and Stevenson? I had heard that Sliga has just recently turned 16, while Stevenson is already 19 years old. I'm just thinking that this would be a pretty big age gap for a 16 year old (even Mitch) especially against someone as good as Stevenson.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.