Coaches...Seriously?

wildcatcountry97

Hardcore fans do not notice because they come for the wrestling.  Casual fans and administrators do notice however.  When the people that make the most important decisions in this sport see that coaches dress poorly they will assume we do not take the sport seriously.  You may be the best person in the world and donate all your free time to charity, but when someone that does not know you sees you coaching in sweats or jeans they will judge you based off that.  You never get a chance to have a second first impression, so make sure it is good.

TOTALLY AGREE! NICE POST

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be wearing my finest jorts with my black tuxedo t-shirt Friday night in protest! If my wrestler wins I continue wearing the same, unwashed, attire to every meet next year. However, if he loses, I will wear khaki shorts with my tuxedo shirt!

I will be wearing my finest jorts with my black tuxedo t-shirt Friday night in protest! If my wrestler wins I continue wearing the same, unwashed, attire to every meet next year. However, if he loses, I will wear khaki shorts with my tuxedo shirt!

Don't forget to grow out your mullet before the state meet.  You would have to beat the chicks back with a stick. 

Hardcore fans do not notice because they come for the wrestling.  Casual fans and administrators do notice however.  When the people that make the most important decisions in this sport see that coaches dress poorly they will assume we do not take the sport seriously.  You may be the best person in the world and donate all your free time to charity, but when someone that does not know you sees you coaching in sweats or jeans they will judge you based off that.  You never get a chance to have a second first impression, so make sure it is good.

Do you honestly think coaches wearing jeans constitutes a lack of respect for the sport?  Really?  I hate to be the one to point out the obvious here, but the separation from football & basketball and sports like wrestling have everything to do money. 

It isn't the time an effort that the coaches and competitors put into it, it isn't the venue, it isn't the parents and it isn't the referees...it most certainly is not what anyone is wearing.  It is money.  If you think that coaches in other sports are placed on a pedestal because of the clothes that they wear...and if you think that wrestling with magically gain the respect it deserves if every coach wears slacks, you are fooling yourselves.  The bigger sports get more attention because they bring in more money...simple as that.  Most of you cannot even name your golf coach and his threads are probably better than all of ours. 

I certainly agree with the basic point to have self-respect before you can attain others' respect...but arguing jeans vs. slacks?  Please...we have much more to worry about than that. 

Do you honestly think coaches wearing jeans constitutes a lack of respect for the sport?  Really?  I hate to be the one to point out the obvious here, but the separation from football & basketball and sports like wrestling have everything to do money. 

It isn't the time an effort that the coaches and competitors put into it, it isn't the venue, it isn't the parents and it isn't the referees...it most certainly is not what anyone is wearing.  It is money.  If you think that coaches in other sports are placed on a pedestal because of the clothes that they wear...and if you think that wrestling with magically gain the respect it deserves if every coach wears slacks, you are fooling yourselves.  The bigger sports get more attention because they bring in more money...simple as that.  Most of you cannot even name your golf coach and his threads are probably better than all of ours. 

I certainly agree with the basic point to have self-respect before you can attain others' respect...but arguing jeans vs. slacks?  Please...we have much more to worry about than that.   

Wahoo to you sir!!

Yes I believe by showing up in jeans constitutes a lack of respect for the sport and lack of respect for the school you represent.  No one has said this will magically fix any problems with the sport, but it is something that can go a long way in the view of the sport from outside of the hardcore fans.  I know our AD and principals have all commented that we look good as a coaching staff compared to other coaching staffs and we simply wear khakis, a polo shirt and a pullover jacket.  When someone new goes to watch a match and sees the coaches in jeans, hats and tshirts it makes the coaches look like a bunch of hillbillies.

Small changes can go a long way in changing the perception of this sport and this is a simple and small change that the people in charge will notice.  As a matter of fact, the NCAA about 5 years ago instituted a rule that no coaches shall wear jeans at competitions.  

Yes I believe by showing up in jeans constitutes a lack of respect for the sport and lack of respect for the school you represent.  No one has said this will magically fix any problems with the sport, but it is something that can go a long way in the view of the sport from outside of the hardcore fans.  I know our AD and principals have all commented that we look good as a coaching staff compared to other coaching staffs and we simply wear khakis, a polo shirt and a pullover jacket.  When someone new goes to watch a match and sees the coaches in jeans, hats and tshirts it makes the coaches look like a bunch of hillbillies.

Small changes can go a long way in changing the perception of this sport and this is a simple and small change that the people in charge will notice.  As a matter of fact, the NCAA about 5 years ago instituted a rule that no coaches shall wear jeans at competitions.  

Levi Strauss just rolled over in his grave...

If I see another pair of khaki pants at a wrestling match, I might as well just go back to the office...

I agree Y2!

I like to look in the corner and see at least a pair of slacks and a nice shirt.Ties are not required,that would be a personal choice.But some of the coaches with their sweat pants tee shirts,sweat shirts,long sleeve pajamma tops,etc. along with a hat just does not look good to the casual fan the sport is trying to sway.

Thanks to the coaches who do dress respectfully!!

I can't be sure...but was that our future Coaches Association President in jeans Fri and Sat of the state tournament?

If so, he had a slew of very good wrestlers at the state tournament...he obviously cares or he wouldn't want to be president...he must be respected or he wouldn't have been voted in.  You are right...he didn't look ready for a business meeting, but he wasn't at a business meeting...or a wedding...or a funeral.  He was at a wrestling tournament and he didn't look like a hillbilly either. 

Just sayin. 

I can't be sure...but was that our future Coaches Association President in jeans Fri and Sat of the state tournament?

If so, he had a slew of very good wrestlers at the state tournament...he obviously cares or he wouldn't want to be president...he must be respected or he wouldn't have been voted in.  You are right...he didn't look ready for a business meeting, but he wasn't at a business meeting...or a wedding...or a funeral.  He was at a wrestling tournament and he didn't look like a hillbilly either. 

Just sayin. 

All the big wigs with the IHSAA saw that we had numerous coaches who don't think the state finals even deserves business casual attire.  When they come to maybe a handful of wrestling events a year and see that, they take notice.  Believe it or not, administrators do see things like that because they take in more than the wrestling, they take in the WHOLE event.  Administrators probably pay more attention to the coaches than the wrestling action.  They notice what they are wearing, their matside demeanor, how they treat the kids after a win or loss and how they treat the officials. 

Just sayin. 

Wahoo Redskin!! I guess some people would rather look good and lose (no names) than look bad (like hillbillies) and win.

No teacher/coach works for the "BIGWIGS" of the IHSAA (unless of course one of the bigwigs are one of their admin), they work for the "BIGWIGS" ie. admin and school board for their local school districts.  Who cares if the "BIGWIGS" from some other school district doesn't like the way you wear your mullet?  Now if your admin doesn't like it, you might consider it.

By the way, if I was still coaching, I would dress to the nines at state.

Those bigwigs with the IHSAA are the ones deciding if we have wrestle-backs or a team state series.  So I would like to put forth a positive impression upon them.  Unfortunately the wrestling coaches do not do that. 

Uh huh.  Yeah right.  That will make the difference.  We just have to talk to them with ties on.

So those bigwigs don't make the decisions that affect this sport?  Are you serious?  You don't think making a good impression on them is a good thing to do?  I take it you also don't think it is a good thing to make a good impression on your boss do you?

These people got to see over 100 coaches from all areas of the state this weekend and say probably 1/3 of them that don't care enough to even put on their nice slacks for this event.  It makes an impression on them when we have coaches that wear everything from jorts to suits and ties.  Some coaches care, some do not.

So those bigwigs don't make the decisions that affect this sport?  Are you serious?  You don't think making a good impression on them is a good thing to do?  I take it you also don't think it is a good thing to make a good impression on your boss do you?

These people got to see over 100 coaches from all areas of the state this weekend and say probably 1/3 of them that don't care enough to even put on their nice slacks for this event.  It makes an impression on them when we have coaches that wear everything from jorts to suits and ties.  Some coaches care, some do not.

I truly understand your passion here...and when proposals are presented for the needs of IHSAA wrestling...the presenters should dress accordingly...for business.  I don't think the "big wigs" will base their decisions on whether or not the coaches in the corner were wearing slacks at the last evet they attended (if they ever attended one).  I am not claiming to have all of the answers here and I do not know how to get where we need to get...but I am confident that if we do not make our proposals with a clear demonstration of how changes will make more money without adding a lot of time, we are in trouble.  I think it is unfortunate, but I think it is true. 

With everything I have said...of course there are limitations to everything.  And if you leave it to everyone to decide for themselves what they think is acceptable dress, you never know what you are going to see.  I just happen to think jeans (not ripped, cut-off, muddy, patched or grass-stained) are acceptable dress at an athletic event.  I do not by any means believe that a coach with slacks cares more about anything than the coach with jeans.  So...I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here. 

As for the other random clothing mentioned...I have no opinion...this started as a jeans vs. slacks discussion :)

I was able to talk my wife into going to the state finals this year for the first time in a few years.  I think she really enjoyed the wrestling, the competition, and the atmosphere.  There was one wrestler in particular that she was most interested in watching and he won his weight class, so she was excited by that.  My son had to travel to Iowa and back yesterday on business so he was unable to attend.  So at lunch today we were giving him the low down.  I talked about the key moves and the ebb and flow of the match, etc.  When my wife had a chance to get her 2 cents in, she talked about how nice the coaches were dressed, 1st in sharp business casual attire and then in dapper dress suits in the finals.  She expressed how proud she was at how well these coaches represented their school, both with their dress and with their demeanor.  Being there solely to watch wrestling, I guess I didn't pay much attention to the clothes the coaches wore, but it sure made an impression on my wife.  So I'm thinking that perhaps Y2 and others may have a point about the impression on casual fans.

Well I also brought my wife and she loved it.  She had never been to it, but she was as disappointed as I that the guy who said he was going to wear the jorts and tuxedo short didn't.

I'm not exactly sure what jorts are, but that probably would have been a sight to behold.

I went to my first state finals and loved it.  I sat for Fridays sessions and all day Saturday. I did wear comfortable pants and my gym shoes so I was comfortable.  I have to say that I did pay attention to the coaches and did notice the ones dressed up looking dapper!  I like that in a coach.  I know if I was coaching at a state championship, I would wear my best attire! The coaches that didn't dress up probably don't ever dress up. 

I may be wrong, but didn't Garrett High School have an individual REPRESENT their school in the Parade of Champions Friday night wearing jeans and a t-shirt?  He might not have been a coach but why would someone who is so focused on improving the perception of this sport allow someone to REPRESENT their school in front of "the Big Wigs" dressed like a hillbilly? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.