Coaches...Seriously?

wildcatcountry97

I don't think jeans should be worn but i don't think you have to wear a suit and tie either.

but then again, who am i to judge? 

I will say this, you would never ever see a football or basketball coach wear jeans to coach in.

If we are going by football coaches, can wrestling coaches wear shorts?  Is that okay?  It sure gets hot in the gym sometimes. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are going by football coaches, can wrestling coaches wear shorts?  Is that okay?  It sure gets hot in the gym sometimes. 

Only if they are cut off dress pants.  Just don't cut them too short and let the pockets hang out below the end of the legs.

totally classless they should of had there coaching passes revoked and bared from any tournament for 3 years....i'm more concerned about watching a young man fighting from his back in his match and watching BOTH COACHES sit back in there seats, hands on top of there heads..not even yelling. there wrestler was in the lead prior to being put on his back...however they did have nice slacks on, so they should get some mercy...

If you are referring to the incident I think you are.....are you saying that the coaches could do anything by yelling?  The wrestler in question surely knows what to do to get off of his back doesn't he?  I guess if you are making a point here, I would be interested in knowing what it is.

If you are referring to the incident I think you are.....are you saying that the coaches could do anything by yelling?  The wrestler in question surely knows what to do to get off of his back doesn't he?  I guess if you are making a point here, I would be interested in knowing what it is.

Agreed.  In Tony Dungy's book "The Mentor Leader", there is a great section about a lesson he learned from a legendary basketball coach about how coaching is done during practice.  Once it's game time, there's really not a whole lot more you can do by yelling instructions.  They've either learned it or they haven't...much like students taking a test.

hahaha to comment on the shorts. If it's ok i would LOVE to wear my casual pair of Jorts...Jean shorts for those unfamiliar with the terminology. Possibly mid thigh light fringe on the bottom of it..i will do this if you guys promise not to start a post about it! See you in Indy...i will be in the shorts!

Their is a difference between being appropriately dressed, under dressed, or even over dressed for the occasion.  To me the goal is to look presentable and dress respectfully because the occasion warrants it.  In some ways it would be nice if some of the fans who are worried about appearance also dressed respectfully since some strongly believe the occasion warrants it.  However, in the end the focus and attention of the crowd should not be drawn away from the athletes because of how under dressed you are or how over dressed you are trying to be.

on second thought...i would love to see some old school zubaz pants this weekend.

While I agree this statement is humorous,  as a professional educator and coach, don't you think this is a little ridiculous? As Mitch and Tony try to tear us down and give us less pay and no due process, people on this forum think it's OK to dress unprofessionally? I have a masters degree +30. I take my job as an educator and coach seriously and I would hope tax payers appreciate that. It's the least t I can do to dress appropiately for the kids and community I represent.

It?s the same argument we have been making for years; I made it on the old board.

If you want to be treated respectfully you dress that way. The way you present yourself ?SAYS? (non-verbally) how you feel about the situation you are in.

If you are on a job interview you wear a tie, not jeans .

If my mother passes away and you attend the funeral you wear a jacket or tie, not jeans.

If my son has dedicated his life to a sport and foregone all the parties and alternative options to represent his family, school, and sport and you show up in a Bass Pro Shop cap and jeans, I feel disrespected as an educator, spectator, and a total slap in the face as a parent.

Your poor dress shows you do not care. Bottom line.

Sometimes I read some topics that just start to drag on and on and on and on.  This is 1 of them.  I have been around this sport for over 30 years and have been coaching for over 20 years, and if you think this is what makes our sport look bad then you guys are crazy.  The biggest concern I have is not what I wear to coach, but trying to convice parents and kids that wrestlers no longer starve themselves to make weight.  Trying to keep my program alive and keeping kids intrested in the sport and hoping that it grows is no going to be based on how I am dressed in the coaches chair.  Yes there is a time and place to dress up, I have seen several people show up to funerals in jeans and did not think less of them for paying their respects.  The coaches at Bellmont have had great success and much respect from the wrestling community and they coach in polo shirts and jeans, or should we turn the state tournament into a fashion show like they do in the Illinois state tournament?  This is 1 discussion that is going to come down to what you think is apporiate to wear as a coach and sorry to say, but each person has their own opinion on the matter.

a polo shirt at that!

that was amazingly ridiculous looking as i watch that movie today.....my young sons (14 and 16) about fell off the couch when they saw that.....but back when it was made, that musta been cool?....seriously?.....lol......my how times have changed.....i saw an older coach (probably mid 60's) last weekend that had nice dark jeans, penny loafers, a button up long sleeve shirt with an argile vest over it....i thought he looked very professional but most of all he conducted himself very professional....he seemed to get alot of respect from alot of people so in that case i don't think the jeans had any bearing on our sport looking bad......

Being that this is such a big event.  And being the athletes deserve the respect. Maybe dressing halfway nice for the occasion is warranted.  However it seems like if some of the fans are so concerned about it then they would also be dressing in a was that showed respect for importance of the event too. Just saying if for some people it seems to be all about the occasion then they should have no issue having similar expectations too.  How about we just agree to dress better than a bumb  and let the focus be on those that are wrestling.

I have a different perspective on this than most.  I have been the head coach of three different sports (Cross Country, Boys Track, and Wrestling) and I will say Wrestling is the only sport I have worn a tie or suit to coach in.

Now for me my rational is Cross Country and Track with both outdoor sports and I would wear a pair of slacks or jeans with a school polo.  Since wrestling is a indoor sport I just always wear a shirt and tie.   Even when I coached at Track State and last year when I took my cross country team to Semi-State I wore pants and polo.

Just my input since I have coached multiple sports at the high school level.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.