Joe Kieffer GOT ROBBED

kiefferfan

on a side note - I do remember 8th grade at state I was fighting off a pin and was disoriented, thought i was going out of bounds as time was running out and let the kid roll me over....unfortunately it was the small circle and not the out of bounds line....that NEVER happened again.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i will look at the video tomorrow and do exactly that, and let you know the outcome, unless someone can do it sooner...very interesting situation and know personally that jarred has worked long and hard for this and am very proud of him, just wish i could have been there to see it...taking nothing from joe, understand your frustration of wanting to have the trio together to represent, as to having it happen....personally have seen it first hand, at semi state in 99 in the ticket rd where my brother a Returning state champion had andrew bradbury on his back for 20 sec and received no td or nearfall, (video evidence) but he got up respectfully shook his hand walked off the mat and watched as bradbury finished 2nd that year in the state, but to this day accepts what happened and moved on.....so YES I UNDERSTAND.....

This is a situation I would go to court over.  I hate being that way.  Normally, I would say just let it go.  But this goes beyond a bad call.  It reminds me of the situation after the Olympic Trials where someone had to go to court.  One of the worst robberies I have ever witnessed.

Kieffer and his family deserve better from the IHSAA.  If IHSAA hasn't offered to fix the situation already, I say go to court at 8 a.m. tomorrow and fix the problem yourself.  And when you win (and I ran this by two different lawyers who both thought there was a strong case), I would ask the officials be suspended.

:o :o :o 

Are you kidding me?! By the time this would even get to court, State would already be over.  Talk about being a sore loser.  Im sorry, i understand a mistake may have been made but what this boils down to from what Ive gathered so is Kieffer stopped wrestling before the whistle was blown, had he kept wrestling, totally different ending im sure.  I hate to say that but thats moral of the story, wrestle till stopped.

But  Ive read this thread probably 5 times now, I still cant tell you what happened because of the stories changing and being different.  If the ref made a mistake, ok deal  with that but until the video is posted, nobody is going to be able to understand exactly what happened. 

I believe the issue with the time was that they went out of bounds once and the clock wasn't stopped. How is counting in your head 5 seconds after the clock runs out even a viable option in this situation?

I do not have a dog in this fight but I am curious.

Which is right, was the clock not started after action resumed or was it not stopped when the wrestlers went out of bounds?

In the first scenario, a grievous mistake was made and the wrestler deserves better.

In the latter, while at this level one would hope that a clock situation would be handled better, the wrestler has no one to blame but himself (never let up especially if your opponent hasn't).

Joe was ranked #11 and his opponnent was unranked.Joe took him down with the scored tied at 5 with only 18 seconds left in the match.The referee scoring the match saw a reversal and a nearfall after official time had expired.

The official in charge of the time added 5 seconds to the match without informing the coaches or the wrestlers.When the clock read 0:00 it should have been over period. The official is a lying,egotiscal fathead who should not be allowed to continue officiating.

He told Mr. Kieffer that he had informed the coaches of the added time.The coaches said they had no idea what he was talking about.He lied!!

We always have taught our kids to never leave the outcome of a game or match to the officials if you can control the issue yourself because officials make mistakes.They always have and they always will that is why the pros have instant replay.

But for an official to make such an obvious and grevious error and then lie about it is inexcusable.He should be punsihed in some fashion.

Thank God we live in America and I am entitled to my opinion.Thanks to the board and the forum you provide.

Mr. Kieffer,

Thank you for your letter of concern.  I have concluded my investigation after conferring with the Meet Director, the lead Official, and the assistant official.  Following is the information that I have gathered.

At :48 remaining in the third period of the match the wrestlers were ruled out of bounds.  As they were being reset, the clock operator started the clock.  When the lead Official signaled the start to wrestle, the assistant noted the time difference.  The assistant notified both benches of the clock malfunction and then notified the lead Official.  The wrestling action did not stop for the remainder of the period, thus no opportunity was presented to reset the clock.  The assistant counted the additional five seconds and informed the led Official of the end of the match.  At the conclusion of the match, the lead Official conferred with the clock operator and the assistant . The lead Official made his decision and the results were communicated.

After having heard from the three meet officials I believe the following is in order.  The ruling of the Official is final.  This is consistent with our rules as can be found in Rule 9-5 of the IHSAA By-Laws.  Further, the officials acted in good faith.  The acknowledged error of the timekeeper could not be corrected before the end of the match, thus the countdown by the assistant.  The official communicated the information to both benches.  The results of the match will stand. 

Robert E. Faulkens

Assistant Commissioner

Indiana High School Athletic Association

Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 2:23 PM

To:

Here is the explanation I received from the IHSAA today. In this email he never asked either one of the coaches if this info was correct. He asked the officials. If the official  would of said something to someone would you not think someone out of eight ears would of heard. Maybe past that info on to the wrestlers. So you figure it out. Someone is not telling the truth.

well, the truth comes out.  and after all the discussion it sounds like the ref got the call right.  It sucks to lose like this but do you think its fair to the other kid who got back points to tell him..."sorry, but kieffer thought the match was over, therefore, you don't get any backpoints."

If anyone would have been robbed it would have been jarred had it gone to OT and he lost.

well, the truth comes out.  and after all the discussion it sounds like the ref got the call right.  It sucks to lose like this but do you think its fair to the other kid who got back points to tell him..."sorry, but kieffer thought the match was over, therefore, you don't get any backpoints."

If anyone would have been robbed it would have been jarred had it gone to OT and he lost.

agreed, ive seen alot of mistakes by clock operators during the course of this tourney, but it still sounds like the ref got the call right.  Now should it have been corrected right away yes but it wasnt. 

well, the truth comes out.  

Wow, what an inaccurate assessment.  I read the email and weigh that against the wrestlers & coaches perspective and say now we have about six different versions of the 'truth.'  

Imagine if Carmel was playing Ben Davis in the basketball SS. And it was a similar situation.  A clock was not stopped during an out of bounds.  So the official decides with his crew that he will just count off five more seconds.  Yet the players and coaches from Carmel say they never heard the official say a word about the five extra seconds.  The buzz sounds & the clock reads :00 and Carmel walks off the court and Ben Davis drops in a lay up to win the game a few seconds after the buzzer.  Ben Davis is declared the winner.  B0y, that would be national news.

I would be in court today getting an injunction against the IHSAA if this was my kid.

How anyone can say that the refs got the call right blows my mind. Had the ref informed the wrestlers that there was more time, then maybe I could see that. However the wrestlers were not informed and if Keiffer saw the clock hit zero while he is trying to prevent himself getting put to his back why would he have any reason to believe that the clock is not right. This should never happen!

At :48 remaining in the third period of the match the wrestlers were ruled out of bounds.  As they were being reset, the clock operator started the clock.  When the lead Official signaled the start to wrestle, the assistant noted the time difference.

Why and the hell wouldn't he stop the match right then and fix it? I've seen them stop and reset for things a lot less important than the fact that the match is going to run over by more than 10% of the time remaining on the clock.

I was sitting matside front row and never notice the additional official approach either set of coaches, and I'm the type of guy that notices things like that. I'm guessing there is video out there that could prove it one way or the other, wish it would surface.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.