Evansville Updates?

wrestler68

Unfortunately, that's goes under the heading "turnabout is fair play"

Mtv2112,

Not sure what you mean by that?  Our guy beats their guy in the previous tournament so you root against him the rest of the way.    You say "turnabout is fair play"  I say "sour grapes". 

AngryIrishman,

No need to respond - you make yourself look bad enough.

My rule of thumb for local SIAC, Big 8, and PAC wrestlers is that I cheer for them anytime they're wrestling against teams from outside of the area.  I'm fairly certain most people in our area have the same mindset.

I'm not calling out ALL MD fans - I'm sure some were not cheering for Rieker but from my vantage point (straight across) it appeared so.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Congrats to Gibson Southern Coach Branam for his first state qualifier in his 2nd yr as coach.

And to Tim Dunkel for qualifying for state"

Let me add my congrats to both these young men, Tim Dunkel and Coach Branam.  Conference Champs and 1st state qualifier in over a decade.  Coach Branam you must be doing something right in GS

Mtv2112,

Not sure what you mean by that?  Our guy beats their guy in the previous tournament so you root against him the rest of the way.    You say "turnabout is fair play"  I say "sour grapes". 

AngryIrishman,

No need to respond - you make yourself look bad enough.

My rule of thumb for local SIAC, Big 8, and PAC wrestlers is that I cheer for them anytime they're wrestling against teams from outside of the area.   I'm fairly certain most people in our area have the same mindset.

I'm not calling out ALL MD fans - I'm sure some were not cheering for Rieker but from my vantage point (straight across) it appeared so.

Jon - what he means is all of the times at semi-state that the reitz fans cheered against MD wrestlers.  got it?

The only thing sad here is it seems every year MD gets screwed with SEEDS.  @125, why was there 3 ranked wrestlers in the lower bracket and only Moody in the top bracket?...Reitz hosts this event right?, that's  probably a big swing there.  I am Zach's biggest fan and I realize there is more to life than high school wrestling, but why can I not boast my opinions like everyone else?  Is it because I am a MD fan and alumni?  Is it because I don't like your wrestler?  But the best wrestlers at 125 from the E-ville semi state are not going to state, say what you will, you will be wrong! 

But the best wrestler won!!!!..... and I think it was a tech fall in the ticket match. 

I've spent ALL DAY the past three Saturdays at wrestling hearing the entire gym explode like CRAZY when any MD wrestler went down (and many, many years of this happening), so I don't think ANYONE from this area should be complaining if MD fans cheeer against a kid here and there.  I wasn't cheering on Reiker, however, I did want him to win, but not because I don't like Trevor, we've known that kid for years.  If something would happen and one of the qualifiers would be unable to continue onto the State tourney, Henderson would be the alternate because Reiker beat him in the round to go, so that could be why some of the fans were cheering for Reiker.  That being said, I was cheering like crazy for a lot of kids with no association with MD...Johns, Whetstine, Wedding, Hoehn, Konrath, Rueger, Stein, Kelley, Mastison, Welch (and Welch and Welch), Rickenbaugh....bottom line, when they aren't wrestling an MD kid, I want kids from my area to win - quality wrestlers is what keeps our Southern programs strong, and they continue to become more competitive.

On a side note...Most Impressive stat under the lights...

"Trevor Moody, ranked #1 in his class with a 4.0 GPA!"...now that's impressive :)

I though Baron Riekers had one heck of a day considering who he had to beat all the way through.  I was unsure about his ticket round match and he blew that one out of the water.  Then the competition jumped even higher with his semi-final or finals match and he stepped up big in those too.  He definitely earned his semi-state championship for sure.

Some great wrestling yesterday...I was very impressed the caliber of wrestling and their were many standouts...here are the ones that stood out to me:

103 Boomsma- not sure he gave up an offensive point all day (correct me if I am wrong)

125 Baron Rieker- I've watched him for 4 years and not sure he has looked more impressive

130 Molloy- WOW!! Most impressive wrestler at this semi state, if he is beatable I would like to see the match. 

135 Raley- Not much can be said but dominate

145 Weekly- Just manhandled his opponents

160 Chad Welch- Walked through

171 Stein- Looked very good

215 Reese- Doesnt look like a 215...technically superior.

Just some guys that stuck out to me.  Good luck to all at state!

The best moment of the day:

It was either Riggs of MD or Whestine of Memorial that attempted to flee the mat while Weekly had his leg/ankle.  Weekly jumped to his feet and drug  the kid to the center of the mat while looking the other way.  It looked like he was pulling his opponet off the ropes and to slap on the scorpion deathlock/sharpshooter!

Matchick,, you were cheering for Welch and Rickenbaugh?   Werent they wrestling each other?  That must have been difficult

Funny...I was cheering for Rickenbaugh to make it to the finals with Welch...once Sims wasn't going for the title, I was for Welch all the way.  I don't think I've made it any secret that I'm a fan of those Welch boys, love to watch them wrestle.  In fact, I was just talking about the State brackets and was thinking that the Evansville Semi-State, for the most part, got kinda crappy draws...except the Welches...oh that's right...they are the bad draw...:)

Some great wrestling yesterday...I was very impressed the caliber of wrestling and their were many standouts...here are the ones that stood out to me:

103 Boomsma- not sure he gave up an offensive point all day (correct me if I am wrong)

125 Baron Rieker- I've watched him for 4 years and not sure he has looked more impressive

130 Molloy- WOW!! Most impressive wrestler at this semi state, if he is beatable I would like to see the match. 

135 Raley- Not much can be said but dominate

160 Chad Welch- Walked through

171 Stein- Looked very good

215 Reese- Doesnt look like a 215...technically superior.

Just some guys that stuck out to me.  Good luck to all at state!

Boomsma...1:34 fall, 16-0 TF, :35 fall, 4-0 over a very good Kuhn...this kid is on fire!!!

Ditto on Rieker...although Princeton's Griesemer could be a sleeper...thought he wrestled well all day

Malloy -TOTAL BEAST

Phelan Montgomery...impressive

Weekly...he was so aggressive and his brute strength - WOW...but Richey looked good too

I agree with all of your statements...we've got some talented wrestlers in the Evansville Semi-State

The only thing sad here is it seems every year MD gets screwed with SEEDS.  @125, why was there 3 ranked wrestlers in the lower bracket and only Moody in the top bracket?...Reitz hosts this event right?, that's  probably a big swing there.  I am Zach's biggest fan and I realize there is more to life than high school wrestling, but why can I not boast my opinions like everyone else?  Is it because I am a MD fan and alumni?  Is it because I don't like your wrestler?  But the best wrestlers at 125 from the E-ville semi state are not going to state, say what you will, you will be wrong! 

What seeds?  You don't know by know that the draw for the regionals, semistate, and state is determined by the IHSAA?  The formula comes from the state and all you do is plug in the wrestlers.  It happens every year that some excellent wrestlers are left home.  This year is no exception.  You could go through most any weight class and make the statement.  The only way around it is having full wrestlebacks.  Which will happen about the same time as pigs grow wings.

angryirishman

you are a idiot that is all i can say bout that

and in my eyes a high school kid should never get booooed by a adult maybe its time for some of them adults to grow up

moody is good or he would not be goin to state, henderson is good and i do feel bad for him but its life if henderson was not sick he would have beat that kid that he had in the ticket round! so you cant blame that on the seeding zach just had a bad day

henderson is good and i do feel bad for him but its life if henderson was not sick he would have beat that kid that he had in the ticket round! so you cant blame that on the seeding zach just had a bad day

Funny when someone unexpected steps up and wins semi-state , someone always has to come out make up excuses as to why the kids he beat didn't win.  If henderson is such a stud, then a little cold wouldn't have stop him. He got beat 19-3, thats the end of the story there.  Besides, it wasnt even in the finals.  Rieker stepped it up and beat 2 other good solid wrestlersin Moody and Giesmeir  to win the whole thing and I don't see either one of  them on here crying about it.

Baron was the best wrestler that day, hands down.  I spoke with his father during the finals, nice man, nice fan base and one heck of a wrestler he has...x3.  My ponder is only this.  It seems the top bracket(that moody was in) seemed to only have moody in it, if the GS wasn't there then it would have been Oakley from central, correct?...Castro from Jeff probably would have lost to Oakley(my opinion here) and won the next round to face moody in the semis(giving them both a ticket to state)...OK, henderson and riecker had to face off in the ticket round, that makes no sense to me...why keep one of those kids from going to state? If henderson would have lost to Oakley at regionals and got his SEED, he'd be going to state!!!...it makes no sense to me.  why load one side of the bracket?...

to Justind283 - I assure you, I am no idiot...

After sectionals there are no seeds.  Its just the luck of the draw due to the formula set after regionals.  I'm not trying to stir the pot, but what was going on the the 189 consolations with Boots and Sandwith?  There was a moment towards the end of the 3rd period where Boots gave a little extra-curricular activity after the whistle and it looked like he was saying something to Sandwith while he he getting back up.  The official didn't do anything about it and even patted Boots on the butt on the way back to the center.  I believe that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.  If I'm wrong tell me but I am just trying to get some clarification on the subject.

For the love of God... This is not a seeded tournament. You have 4s vs 1s and 3s vs 2s. Those numbers represent the athletes placement at their respective regional. The ihsaa formula pairs the regions for semi state matches. No seeding and no input from any school. The host school looks at the ihsaa formula and gets the results from each participating region and voilà , ya have your bracket. This is not the first time a good kid has not made it out of semi state. It happens every year. It's just a part of our great sport. Call it a character building experience. No one deserves a trip to state, you only deserve what you earn.  Four young men earned the right to wrestle at state and 12 did not.  Good luck next week to all the southern Indiana wrestlers!

Mtv2112,

My rule of thumb for local SIAC, Big 8, and PAC wrestlers is that I cheer for them anytime they're wrestling against teams from outside of the area.   I'm fairly certain most people in our area have the same mindset.

Jon H,  I have the same basic philosophy as you and I think you are sincere, but the complete dislike for EMD is very palpable from a majority of fans (all schools) in the gym at sectional, regional, and semi-state. I'm sure there are some that root for local boys, but there are certainly loud vociferous fans in the Reitz section loving every EMD loss. It's the nature of being the top dog that everyone wants to see you knocked down a peg. I prefer a strong and dominant EMD because that will make our area better. From what I can tell, no other area program has the strength and/or stomach to carry the torch.  EMD has earned every bit of their success. They work harder to develop kids in their youth program than any school in the area. I see no reason to root against someone in high school sports that does more with less resources.  To do so would be sour grapes, if you will let me borrow your phrase.  I don't know you but suspect you may actually agree with much of this post; however, it is my opinion, unpopular as it may be, that the average butt in the seat for Reitz or any other school, doesn't appreciate the top dog for the work it takes to become the top dog.

Full disclosure, I am not an EMD alumni nor do I have kids that attend or will attend EMD.

Ok, I admit, MD is our rival and I love to beat them. They are the the top dogs around here. However, I have a lot of friends at Mater Dei. If we aren't competing against them, I wish them good luck the same I do everyone from our little corner of the state. If you don't feel the same way I'm good with that too. To each his own. I just don't get booing kids. I could kind of understand booing a sore sport or a dirty wrestler and even officiating. But other than the fact Moody beat Henderson I don't get it. I had the pleasure of coaching this kid in elementary school. He has ALWAYS wrestled defensively and scored low. That is his style. He is a very good student, never wrestles dirty and shows good sportsmanship. He always wants to challenge the best wrestlers in the state. Goes to many camps in the offseason. Has won several ISWA state championships. Really, booing this kid? Show some class. You don't need to boo a kid, just talk to your neighbor and voice your opinion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.