Need an example to give my son

SlickRodz

My son (a 2 seed) has a horrible 2nd round match (assuming he gets there). In my opinion he has the state champion at his weight class. I need an example of where a wrestler, considered a lock for the state finals, was upset before he got there. If this happened in the last five years that would be best. Would be someon he knows. I do not intend to name the wrestler as it really has no berring on the situation. Would just like an example of a true stud getting upset. Not the standard 4 beats 1 that happens every year.

I must say my son has the right state of mind to pull a huge upset, I just want to give him some additional fuel.

Thanks.

NCAA Darren Cladwell vs Brent Metcalf!!!!!!!!

Perfect...I have this match on my DVR from last year! I should have thought of this. Darren put Metcalf on the defense for the entire match. It is the game plan we have for tomorrow. If a wrestler is on defense, he cannot run his offense!

Thanks

My son and I were sitting in the Iowa section that day....................they were shocked to say the least!

I was sitting in front of 4 Iowa old timers who didn't stop talking about Metcalf for 4 straight days.  At least I got 5 weight classes of silence after that match.

2002 NCAA Tournament:

#1 Mike Zadick - Iowa  (senior who was undefeated) lost to a then unknown  freshman from Ohio named Jake Percival in the quarterfinals. Zadick went on to take 7th place and Percival took 4th.

Watch the match here: (starts around the 11:30 Mark)

I encourage your son and all HS wrestlers & Fans to watch this entire documentary.The passion, seriousness, dedication, & work ethic this team shows is Inspirational.

Following the 2001-2002 Iowa Wrestling Team From Beginning To End

http://indianamat.com/messageboard/index.php/topic,13489.0.html

2002 NCAA Tournament:

#1 Mike Zadick - Iowa  (senior who was undefeated) lost to a then unknown  freshman from Ohio named Jake Percival in the quarterfinals. Zadick went on to take 7th place and Percival took 4th.

Watch the match here: (starts around the 11:30 Mark)

I encourage your son and all HS wrestlers & Fans to watch this entire documentary.The passion, seriousness, dedication, & work ethic this team shows is Inspirational.

Following the 2001-2002 Iowa Wrestling Team From Beginning To End

http://indianamat.com/messageboard/index.php/topic,13489.0.html

Thank You DevilDog,  that was awesome.    Our family and friends will watch this tonight for sure!!!!!!!!!!!

As a sophomore and a junior, Gable went undefeated as he wracked up an impressive list of records, awards, and other honors including two individual NCAA championships, an NCAA record for most consecutive pins (25), and the Most Outstanding Wrestler of the NCAA Tournament (during the first of two consecutive championships for Iowa State). He also won the Gorrarian Award for the most pins in the least time in the NCAA Tournament (he pinned five opponents in a total of 20 minutes, 59 seconds). Having set these records, Gable was described by the Amateur Wrestling News as "the greatest pinner in college history."1

During Gable's senior year, Washington sophomore Larry Owings set out to do one thing: Beat Dan Gable. Owings had very publicly stated his intentions, and had dropped weight so he could wrestle in Gable's weight class. The two grapplers met in what would be Gable's final collegiate match, the 1970 NCAA title bout. The match did not start well for Gable as Owings established an early 7-2 lead. Gable rallied back from that deficit to tie the match at 8-8 in the third period, but Owings pulled off a stunning 4 point move in overtime and won the match 13-11. The upset was shocking, but Gable got right back on the horse two weeks later when he won an AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) tournament and was voted Outstanding Wrestler. Even today, he wonders about that loss:

"One of the mind-boggling things for me in my profession and in my life so far has been why, how, did I ever end up losing that last match in college?  I say that because I feel like there's no way I should've lost that match, and it shouldn't have happened.  But then I look at what that match did to me, and I'm not so sure that I would change that either, because that match, that loss, probably drove me - even though it shouldn't have, a win should have done it - but I don't think it would have done it, to be honest with you."

Dan Gable's record:

As a Wrestler:

High School Record: 64-0

College Record2: 118-1

Freshman : 17-0

Sophomore: 37-0

Junior   : 30-0

Senior   : 33-1

Total    : 118-1

My son (a 2 seed) has a horrible 2nd round match (assuming he gets there). In my opinion he has the state champion at his weight class. I need an example of where a wrestler, considered a lock for the state finals, was upset before he got there. If this happened in the last five years that would be best. Would be someon he knows. I do not intend to name the wrestler as it really has no berring on the situation. Would just like an example of a true stud getting upset. Not the standard 4 beats 1 that happens every year.

I must say my son has the right state of mind to pull a huge upset, I just want to give him some additional fuel.

Thanks.

Well my son is in the same situation, if he gets through first round Raley will be waiting for him the second year in a row..

As a sophomore and a junior, Gable went undefeated as he wracked up an impressive list of records, awards, and other honors including two individual NCAA championships, an NCAA record for most consecutive pins (25), and the Most Outstanding Wrestler of the NCAA Tournament (during the first of two consecutive championships for Iowa State). He also won the Gorrarian Award for the most pins in the least time in the NCAA Tournament (he pinned five opponents in a total of 20 minutes, 59 seconds). Having set these records, Gable was described by the Amateur Wrestling News as "the greatest pinner in college history."1

During Gable's senior year, Washington sophomore Larry Owings set out to do one thing: Beat Dan Gable. Owings had very publicly stated his intentions, and had dropped weight so he could wrestle in Gable's weight class. The two grapplers met in what would be Gable's final collegiate match, the 1970 NCAA title bout. The match did not start well for Gable as Owings established an early 7-2 lead. Gable rallied back from that deficit to tie the match at 8-8 in the third period, but Owings pulled off a stunning 4 point move in overtime and won the match 13-11. The upset was shocking, but Gable got right back on the horse two weeks later when he won an AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) tournament and was voted Outstanding Wrestler. Even today, he wonders about that loss:

"One of the mind-boggling things for me in my profession and in my life so far has been why, how, did I ever end up losing that last match in college?  I say that because I feel like there's no way I should've lost that match, and it shouldn't have happened.  But then I look at what that match did to me, and I'm not so sure that I would change that either, because that match, that loss, probably drove me - even though it shouldn't have, a win should have done it - but I don't think it would have done it, to be honest with you."

Dan Gable's record:

As a Wrestler:

High School Record: 64-0

College Record2: 118-1

Freshman : 17-0

Sophomore: 37-0

Junior  : 30-0

Senior  : 33-1

Total    : 118-1

Sounds a lot like the premise of a LEGENDARY wrestling movie. A man on a quest to beat the unbeatable.

Thank You DevilDog,  that was awesome.    Our family and friends will watch this tonight for sure!!!!!!!!!!!

your welcome, sharing is caring! Semi-State Tomorrow so tonight is perfect just kick back relax and watch a great wrestling documentary. Will deff fire u up and get the blood flowing I found myself yelling at my comp screen watching it for the 1st time haa

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.