200 career HS wins?

FCFIGHTER170

Per Mat  Burns

236-0 A. Tsirtsis Griffith  

229-5 A. Hernandez Griffith

223-1 A. Escobedo Griffith

221-8 M. Taylor NC

210-8 M. Jaggars NC

K. Guard NC was one away and N. Walpole PM two away.

Under the current system of how team have to schedule meets not to many kids has an opportunity to get in 50 matches a year to have a chance at reaching 200.  

To dig a little deeper. Alex's total puts him in the top 100 families by himself without even counting Jason or their older brother Michael.  When Jason finishes they may be #2 all-time on the family list behind the five brother Doherty clan form Jeffersonville who had some impressive records themselves.

Per Mat  Burns

236-0 A. Tsirtsis Griffith  

229-5 A. Hernandez Griffith

223-1 A. Escobedo Griffith

221-1 M. Taylor NC

210-8 M. Jaggars NC

K. Guard NC was one away and N. Walpole PM two away.

Under the current system of how team have to schedule meets not to many kids has an opportunity to get in 50 matches a year to have a chance at reaching 200.  

To dig a little deeper. Alex's total puts him in the top 100 families by himself without even counting Jason eventual total.  When he finishes they should be in the top 10 with just two of them.The Howe brothers HC are the current highest two person group at 27th and one match behind the Levitz brothers from (PH) and Elkins brothers Portage at 29th.

hmmm I had about 17 losses on my high school career to 3 guys from that list  :-\  there's actually 3 Tsirtsis brothers

Did/Does the 3rd brother wrestle? Is he older or younger? That would be interesting to see a third brother have some of the same success.

he was older. He wrestled for griffith in the 90's, not real sure what year he graduated though

Did/Does the 3rd brother wrestle? Is he older or younger? That would be interesting to see a third brother have some of the same success.

Oops.  Forgot about the older brother.  I'll go back and make the correction above.

They are 46th all time on the family list currently (minus Jason)  Michael graduated in 1997 with 68 wins.

On another side note their dad and his brothers are 88th on the family list.

New Castle gets a lot of matches in! When was their last state champion?

[Reminds me of Roncalli a little bit...lots of great wrestlers (Ryan Schoettle and brothers, Matt Hickey, Mark Koers, Huser brothers, Nick Himes, Wiley Craft, Jake Blackwell, Kieffers, etc.) but can't remember their last state champion. Anyone remember Ryan Schoettle vs. Mac Taylor at New Castle semi-state semifinals? Classic match.]

Any of the Kieffers closing in on 200?

[Reminds me of Roncalli a little bit...lots of great wrestlers (Ryan Schoettle and brothers, Matt Hickey, Mark Koers, Huser brothers, Nick Himes, Wiley Craft, Jake Blackwell, Kieffers, etc.) but can't remember their last state champion. Anyone remember Ryan Schoettle vs. Mac Taylor at New Castle semi-state semifinals? Classic match.]

I knew Taylor couldn't have had just one loss, because he never won state. He did, at one time, hold the national record for career wins.

New Castle has had two state champions. Bill Lewis (1963) and Bubba Dickerson (1995).

Who knows, maybe they can match that amount this year if all goes well. I could see Campbell and Mullins on top of the podium this year, and they are both juniors. Of course there are a lot of wrestlers out there that are gunning for the same spots.

I knew Taylor couldn't have had just one loss, because he never won state. He did, at one time, hold the national record for career wins.

Sorry that was a typo it should be 8.  I will correct it.  You are correct he did hold the national record at one point.

Based on IHSAA brackets, the Kieffers have the following approximate records (not sure if all Team State matches are included):

Josh Kieffer:  164-18

Justin Kieffer:  161-17

Joe Kieffer:  105-19

Bubba Dickerson is considered by many to be one the best. HW. EVER in Indiana..as a jr he spent less than 4 miniutes on the mat at state winning the title in under 90 secs. To this day he has one of the greatest runs a state dismantling top tier HW..if only his life wasn't cut short...he wrestled.like a 30 ponder..hitting fireman's...R.I.P Bubba. They don't make em like you anymore...

Bubba Dickerson is considered by many to be one the best. HW. EVER in Indiana..as a jr he spent less than 4 miniutes on the mat at state winning the title in under 90 secs. To this day he has one of the greatest runs a state dismantling top tier HW..if only his life wasn't cut short...he wrestled.like a 30 ponder..hitting fireman's...R.I.P Bubba. They don't make em like you anymore...

wow!.....that's incredible.....sounds like quite the wrestler.....what happened to cut his life short?

wow!.....that's incredible.....sounds like quite the wrestler.....what happened to cut his life short?

I believe he died in auto accident the summer before  his senior year.  He was incredible to watch his junior year at state.

Alex Johns Evansville Reitz 2005-2009  8) Career record of 196 - 17. Just coming in a little short. That is not counting an IN-IL senior dual win in '09 and probably 15 additional wins for the IN national dual team at the NHSCA underclassman duals in Dover DE '07 and York, PA '08.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.