Team State Question?

jakeum1970

Has anyone formed a committee to try to save team state? I have read alot of good ideas and some not so good on what needs to be done to save team state. My personal opinion is that the first thing we need to do to save team state is simply we need to boost the attendance this year. Now I know this isn't the solution but maybe we can buy us another year by increasing the revenue at this years team state. Then, lets get some of these great minds together and hammer out a plan that we feel would keep team state and generate revenue. Have this plan voted on by the coaches assosciation. Then once we have a plan in place, present the plan as a united front to the IHSAA.

Now I know the IHSAA will do what they want but if we can raise the revenue at this event. They will have a hard time dropping the event for reasons of money.

Again, this is just my opinion. Take it for what its worth.

The IHSWCA has put together a comm.  We have had several meetings on what we can do about Team State.  We have created a Survey to see what the majority of our Coaches in Indiana want.  The regional reps have been working hard to round up answers from the last schools so we can have a 100%.  Our leadership in the IHSWCA has been working hard on a clinic that will be in conjunction with Team State to help with attendance.  Several ideas have been brought up but the main objective is to do what our coaches want in regards to Team State.

The IHSWCA has put together a comm.  We have had several meetings on what we can do about Team State.  We have created a Survey to see what the majority of our Coaches in Indiana want.  The regional reps have been working hard to round up answers from the last schools so we can have a 100%.  Our leadership in the IHSWCA has been working hard on a clinic that will be in conjunction with Team State to help with attendance.  Several ideas have been brought up but the main objective is to do what our coaches want in regards to Team State.

Thanks! :)

I never had the opporunity to wrestle when there was a team state, so back in those days wrestling was an individual sport with an small aspect to team.  I am thinking this is how many still think of wrestling and maybe they are correct.  So unless the date of the team state tourny is changed, classed or not, coaches will always enter into with caution to their injured or sick wrestlers...and they should because more opportunites come from the individual successes in our sport.  Even if IHSAA was to class our team state, you will still have situations where minor injuries and sickness will keep them out of team state to get/keep them healthy for individual state.  Do we think because we class state this will cut down on nagging injuries or kids getting sick and try to remain healthy?  So my question is, is there a way to have a yearly invitational of 32 of the "best" teams?  So it would be like an individual tourny with full wrestle backs...make it a two day event about 3/4 of the way through the season.  One of the downfalls are scheduling conflicts with different teams being invited each year...I think more teams/wrestlers might be willing to wrestle with nagging injuries at this time of the year rather than the weeks of the state tourny. I am sure there are other problems with this idea.  Would like to hear them.

yes there is a committee, they formed a facebook page to save team state.

As well as the coaches survey, and the cia clinic and meet the champs before team state.  The committee to save team state was open to all members of the IHSWCA you could have joined or given your opinion on the subject of saving team state. Just complaining about what we have done does no one any good.  The facebook idea was to get the word out to a lot of people, if you know of a better way to reach a lot of people please inform me.

Again anyone who is in the IHSWCA or that is on this board is free to give ideas to get attendence up at team state so if you have any that would help the cause please share them.  Not doing anything then complaining about it doesn't help anyone.

I don't want the current format "saved," so why would I want to be on a committee to save something that is flawed?

That is fine but do you think that the IHSAA getting rid of the team duals is going to get us closer to having a classed team duals?  How does going back to the individual tournament desiding the team champion help indiana wrestling?

It helps because it might be the spark the IHSWCA and the coaches need to get their butts into gear. 

I thought that's what they are trying to do here, isn't it?

If your position is that classing wrestling will be better for Indiana, and an overwhelming majority appears to support doing so for the team portion, why not support that? 

I thought that's what they are trying to do here, isn't it?

If your position is that classing wrestling will be better for Indiana, and an overwhelming majority appears to support doing so for the team portion, why not support that? 

Because there is currently no proposal (that I know of) in the works to class anything this spring.  If attendance records are set at team state this year and the IHSAA makes a boat load of cash, do you think this will convince either the IHSAA or the IHSWCA to push for class?

If attendance records are set at team state this year and the IHSAA makes a boat load of cash, do you think this will convince either the IHSAA or the IHSWCA to push for class?

Well then lets set attendance records and make them boat loads of cash........  I am not  fan of the current system, but I am not in favor of classing team or individual either...

Because there is currently no proposal (that I know of) in the works to class anything this spring.  If attendance records are set at team state this year and the IHSAA makes a boat load of cash, do you think this will convince either the IHSAA or the IHSWCA to push for class?

I'm not convinced the IHSAA would do anything reasonable or in the interests of those involved in the sport.

The IHSWCA, on the other hand, appears to have a very strong contingent in favor of trying to put together a proposal that will make the team tournament better than it already is. I realize that the threat or realization that the team tournament may no longer be around is what made some realize that classing the team tournament is best for everybody, but that doesn't mean they'll change their minds if one year of making money appeases the IHSAA enough to keep it around for another year.

I'm not convinced the IHSAA would do anything reasonable or in the interests of those involved in the sport.

The IHSWCA, on the other hand, appears to have a very strong contingent in favor of trying to put together a proposal that will make the team tournament better than it already is. I realize that the threat or realization that the team tournament may no longer be around is what made some realize that classing the team tournament is best for everybody, but that doesn't mean they'll change their minds if one year of making money appeases the IHSAA enough to keep it around for another year.

I have not seen any evidence of a proposal.  If the team state makes a boat load, I see status quo as the result, and that will be fine for many many coaches.  That is why I proposed back in November that the present system needed to be blown up and the coaches needed to come up with a proposal that could gain support of the membership and the IHSAA

I have not seen any evidence of a proposal.  If the team state makes a boat load, I see status quo as the result, and that will be fine for many many coaches.  That is why I proposed back in November that the present system needed to be blown up and the coaches needed to come up with a proposal that could gain support of the membership and the IHSAA

The gaining the support of the IHSAA part seems to be the insurmountable obstacle.

The gaining the support of the IHSAA part seems to be the insurmountable obstacle.

Agreed.  So as a coaching association should they A) complain that the IHSAA never listens or B) look in the mirror at how they are approaching the IHSAA, look at other coaches associations that have success with proposals to the IHSAA to see how they are structured, look at other states of similar size whose state wrestling tournament revenue dwarfs what Indiana makes?

So what does it help to belittle those like buscowrestling who are trying to organize and build a consensus on something you are in support of - classing the team tournament.

I think buscowrestling efforts have been to save team state with a vague promise of classing something, sometime.  I think there is a fundamental disagreement here.

a) Some think that we must save a currently flawed team state in order to (eventually) change it.

B) others think that blowing up the current format is the best way to get enough coaches motivated to work toward a team state that is classed.

I think buscowrestling efforts have been to save team state with a vague promise of classing something, sometime.  I think there is a fundamental disagreement here.

a) Some think that we must save a currently flawed team state in order to (eventually) change it.

B) others think that blowing up the current format is the best way to get enough coaches motivated to work toward a team state that is classed.

And some that think once it's gone it's not coming back, so why not organize around the consensus that the team tournament should be classed.

If your not part of the solution then your part of the problem. You didn't have anything to say at the coaches meeting then when you get home behind the computer you now have plenty to say.

What good does it do to speak at an informal meeting where no one is taking any notes?  No one there was taking suggestions for proposals and it was a whine and moan session.  Nothing of merit was done other than about 10 people proclaimed we must save team state.

And some that think once it's gone it's not coming back,

That would be a defeatest attitude

so why not organize around the consensus that the team tournament should be classed.

Lack of faith in many of the johnny come latelys.  No proposal for a class system.  Seemingly no work being done on a proposal for a classed team system.  The sharp pain deep in my bitter heart that tells me many of those from big schools saying they support classed team state might just have second thoughts if the current flawed system is saved and they get to continue to win sectionals by beating boone grove, tecumseh, frontier, etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.