Most consecutive years going to individual state.

Boot

I've been blessed to attend 26 (if I counted right) state finals in a row and have the programs from each one.  My first was in 1978 at Southport High School.  I wasn't able to attend again until 1982 and 1983.  I missed 1984 when it got snowed out and was moved to New Castle High School.  Started again the next year and haven't missed one since.  I'm betting someone like TAE would hold the record.

Best memories......First and foremost would be Andy Schneider (Mt. Vernon in Posey Co.) winning our school's first state championship.  Being in his corner for his first (and then his second) state championship was an experience I'll never forget.  Others, in no particular order: Terry Kissel (one-legged wrestler from Gibson Southern) placing 5th at 126 lbs. in '87; Lance Ellis winning his 4th title; Alex Tsirtsis and Blake Maurer each winning their 4th titles on the same night; Mater Dei reeling off 5 straight champions; one someone else mentioned- watching John Boes from Princeton throw Starks of FW Northrup to his back, only to be rolled through and pinned right at the end of the 2nd period; David Palmer from Delta winning 3 titles.

Here's to another 26+ of good times and memories.

20 Straight for me.  

Many joys of wathcing family member's triumphs but also the pains of watching heartbreaking losses.  Many contraversal calls, OT matches, repeat acts. Two Timers, Three Timers, and Four TImers.  I have been blessed to be able to witness some GREAT wrestling these past 20 years and I am hoping to witness 20 more, some of which I hope someday include my children.   So if you have em raise em up and here is to many more years of the Greatest High School Finals of any sport!

24 in a row for me...

regrets, i've had a few, but then again too few to mention.  I did what I had to do

And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course -

Each careful step along the byway,

And more, much more than this,

I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew,

When I bit off more than I could chew,

But through it all, when there was doubt,

I ate it up and spit it out.

I faced it all and I stood tall

And did it my way.

How many of those have you had wrestlers competing? I'm sure that's another impressive stat.

here ya go BOOT...http://newcastlewrestling.com/statefinalist.htm

It looks like since 1976 that NC has had someone @ State except for the years of :  81,87,89,04,08

Went to more than a dozen in a row but took a break to attend college, grad school and start my career out of state but this is my second year flying in from the East Coast to catch the finals.

Wouldn't miss it!

Memories-

91, Jay Manson - The last state champ from IPS...

92, LN 4 Champs

96 - watching my friend and teammate win it all

Mine is about the same as theckman.  Remembering the packed houses at Southport fieldhouse.  David Palmer losing his only career match as a freshman in the finals to Terry Eden of Greenfield Central.  Then he transfers to Delta and the domination begins in the early 80's.  Market square arena on the cold ice.  I was lucky to be part of the first group of finalist to compete at MSA in 1981.  Remember that one coach Tonte?  If I remember right you didn't get a very good draw that year:( The rise of the south from Mater Dei, Lawrence North, Mish, Crown Point... and many more.  Can't wait!

If it makes you feel better this will be my first in a suite. Circle of life and all that... :)

Watch out once you get a suite it gives a whole new view of the state finals.  We had one in the lower area on the end and it was awesome, especially with the parking pass and stuff it was an awesome day.

Found out today my around 10 year streak of having a suite ticket has ended due to a change of who is in charge of that suite.  

Suite streak was on live support but we saved it.  We got connected with the new person in charge of the suite and obtained some tickets this week.  ;D 

I think we need to hear some Team State streaks too.  I have to admit I haven't attended regularly,but the times I have been it was a unique experiance that I highly enjoyed.  It opens your eyes to more of what the sport can be.

My mom said she met an 84 year old lady in the front of the line yesterday that said she has been coming fort 40 years, wow!! Great fan, she said she just loves it. She was from the Ft. Wayne area.

My mom said she met an 84 year old lady in the front of the line yesterday that said she has been coming fort 40 years, wow!! Great fan, she said she just loves it. She was from the Ft. Wayne area.

I would be willing to bet she was from Bellmont.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.