Most consecutive years going to individual state.

Boot

I'm prepping for my 20th year of going to State and was thinking back to the great years at Market Square Arena and lunches with my dad at Market Square.

How many years have you been going consecutively and what are your best memories?

One that sticks out to me is seeing Vega win his titles and thinking "That's who I want to be some day." He was small but was dominant.

This will be number 6 for me. I know it's not breaking any records and I'm sure there are tons of guys with more, but i started going my freshman year of high school and have gone each year since. I am not the most avid Indiana wrestling fan, but there is something about state championship weekend that just can't be matched. In my opinion, there is nothing better than seeing anyone win a championship in anything, and seeing years of hard work pay off for 14 guys once a year is just great. I have been looking forward to next weekend since last year's finals, and I'm sure it will be spectacular as always.

Boot, you will have to enjoy this year's tourney doubly for me. I will be missing the state tournament for the first time in either 12 or 13 years. The little guy and I will be watching it online together.  :'(

He can come too! I started going in Kindergarten, get him started young. I hear they're pretty good at ankle picks when they're young.

I had 17 straight through 2008 (with every single result hand-written in each program), but have lived overseas ever since.  This would have been my 20th also.  Bummer...but don't worry, decbell, it's fun to follow online too. 

This is 23 for me. My first was seeing Lance Ellis his senior year complete perfection. I was in awe of how he was taken down early only to clap his hands a few times and get into the down position. Shortly after standing up and hitting this crazy lateral launching the kid to his back for the fall then the backflip and the four fingers held high on each hand. That was pretty cool. Also our relatively unknown hometown stud Rob Pavletic craddling his way to a state title. Remember thinking no one will ever win 4 titles let alone going undefeated again. Then wondering if the next freshman to win a title was the chosen one. Getting the opportunity to watch most of Alex Tsirtsis's matches during his historical run was very enjoyable. I can go on and on bottom line is the wrestling state finals is the most exciting event year in and year out!! Cant wait.

I had 17 straight through 2008 (with every single result hand-written in each program), but have lived overseas ever since.  This would have been my 20th also.  Bummer...but don't worry, decbell, it's fun to follow online too.  

I've got a box of all my tickets and handwritten programs at my parents' house, I always loved writing in the results, made me feel important when I was little. In 18 years I probably saw you at some point too.

...this will be my 23rd as well.  Oh the memories:

I have to agree will Ellis' senior year; that was awesome!  I cheered like a madman when he got taken down...then I had to shake my head in disbelief and put my hands together in appreciation for what I saw after he won it...even though I have always had a healthy athletic hatred for Cathedral (and Perry Meridian and EMD)

4 qualifiers/4 champs for Lawrence North in 92 was cool (2 SS-4ths in that bunch)

Boes (prince) throwing Starks (northrop) to his back, just to get pressed, rolled and stuck by Starks in the 171lb final in 90

All the of wonderful times that wrestlers have prevailed over EMD wrestlers in the state tournament from '89 onward...those were cool ;) (have always loved to hate 'em; miss hating Coach Goebel)

Also miss hating on Lance Rhodes from Cathedral; McGinley much more 'likeable'...that kinda sucks >:(

miss watching all of the "great" Perry Meridian teams faillng short of winning it all...wait a minute, that streak is still alive :P

Miss the individual tournament deciding the team Champion...made the consolations and some of the otherwise 'sleepy' matches much more exciting; hope to see it again soon

Miss the "Wrestler's Mom" poem...

Miss a lot of things about Market Square Arena ("All the way to MSA!")

Don't miss...sitting in the stands watching all the guys I beat competing for my title (still sour about that  :'()

I think my best memory...is walking out for the parade the first time.  Looking around unable to stand still...pumped, ready to go.  Knowing this is it...the tournament we were all striving to get to is here.  Music, lights, cameras, action...LET"S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!!

This will be my 14th in a row, and I still get butterfly's as I'm walking in. I've had friends tell me that watching the Wrestling State Finals was by far the coolest experience they've ever had, and these were non-wrestlers aka some basketball players! I look forward to hearing some names announced and one that will always stick out in my mind is back at Market Square Arena, DDDDDDDDD JJJJJJJJJJ Radddnovich!!!! Still gives me chills!

I've been to every one held in Indianapolis since 1982. I did miss the 1985 finals which were snowed out and held a week later. So 29 out of 30 with the only one missed being 1985 @ New Castle.

Wow! That's very cool, what was the best year for you?

This will be my 14th year in a row attending the State Finals. Although I sort of missed the Semis & Finals of 2008 cause I decided a trip to the hospital from Conseco Fieldhouse was more enjoyable.  :P

Did you at least get a Sno Cone first?

Found out today my around 10 year streak of having a suite ticket has ended due to a change of who is in charge of that suite.   :'(  IT was fun not fighting the crowd while it lasted.  I'll still be keeping my 16 year streak of attending the event going, but it will be back to general population for me. :o 

Going on 6 this year....best memory would be me wrestling @ Conseco (07) and placin 3rd, just barely missing out on wrestling under the lights, up 1-0 in the 2nd period of the semi-final match only to trip over myself and get pinned as i was trying to metzger the throw,,,dope (in my Homer voice)...Hope to see Nc's 3rd or maybe 4,5th state champ this year, hope coach Peck can have another ( 2 or 3 for that matter) before he retires :)

Found out today my around 10 year streak of having a suite ticket has ended due to a change of who is in charge of that suite.   :'(   IT was fun not fighting the crowd while it lasted.  I'll still be keeping my 16 year streak of attending the event going, but it will be back to general population for me. :o 

If it makes you feel better this will be my first in a suite. Circle of life and all that... :)

Wow! That's very cool, what was the best year for you?

The first one was really cool especially with the introductions and being under the lights.  Getting to watch both my brothers in the parade on Friday night and also wrestle was great, also 1989 was great because the region had an unbelievable showing bringing home 6 champions. The Saturday morning quarter final match between Vega and Schaeffer in 1996 was great too. Plenty of good times over the years. Looking forward to next week.

If it makes you feel better this will be my first in a suite. Circle of life and all that... :)

And that's where my suite ticket when to.  ;D  Enjoy, its a nice change to not have to rush around all day to keep your seat.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.