Toughest semi-state?

FurgaSonic

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 of the 70 state champions crowned in the last 5 years have qualified out of the Merrillville Semi-State.  That is just 1 below half!!!  :o

Thanks, RG, for proving my point. If # of champions is the only criterion applied to the 2011 tournament; Merrillville will probably not be the toughest semi-state. That honor would go to New Castle most likely, with Evansville having a chance to produce more champs.

I've got this year's champions breakdown as 4 each for Merrillville, New Castle, and Evansville and 2 for Fort Wayne.

I said at the beginning of the season and I stand by my statement 10 days out from the State Finals that this will be the year that New Castle passes Merrillville for most medalists.

I said at the beginning of the season and I stand by my statement 10 days out from the State Finals that this will be the year that New Castle passes Merrillville for most medalists.

I always thought the medal count was a more accurate assessment of the toughest semi-state.  Seems to show more depth of an area.  Counting just first may show what area has the most studs, but after that you could have a drop off in talent from that area.

By the way RC are you going to mark through the eliminated ranked wrestlers similar to last year and indicate who eliminated them or when they lost.  I thought that was a nice touch to show who was still in the hunt and what none ranked wrestler was putting out the most big names.

Toughest semi-state doesn't mean most crowned champions....look at the number of guys who were beaten out by the (champ). Some of those matches were closer than the state finals match ups.

Some of you say...M ville because of champions but how many schools are you takling about....sure MD has dominated over the years, but really aside from the typical schools...MD, Griffith, Crown Point, Lawrence North and a few other power house schools you really have to see the number of studs who either dont get out of the ticket round due to match ups or even the guys who dont make it to the finals due to match ups....

Really in the end does it matter??? Those beaten in the go round, or qualifying round might say...give me the champ and if I can not beat him then who really cares about second place....

Regardless, you will be bias to whatever semi-state you come from because you havent been to the others...

Not the case at all, most people will say Merrillville regardless of where they live. Also, Matre Dei goes through Evansville and Lawrence North goes through New Castle. And Griffith? I'm lost here.

Surely you haven't forgotten the Angel, Tsirtsis, Hernandez, Jose E. years? 

I don't know which one is toughest because I have only been to New Castle (as a wrestler and coach).  However, I find it hard to believe that there was any more exciting semi state going on this year than New Castle. Kids almost getting DQ'd, fans coming down on the mats and getting thrown out, upsets, ranked wrestlers meeting in every round, and, no offense officials, some controversial calls.  Man, what a great day of wrestling.  I love this sport.

A few wrestlers don't really mean a team is a powerhouse does it? Griffith did very well with them, but no so much any more. If I had to say the top teams over the last decade I would say Lowell, Crown Point, Portage, Merrillville, Mishawaka. Hobart is another team that has had some real studs, but I don't know I would say they're a powerhouse, though I'm at a loss as to why not.

I posted this on New Year's Eve 2009.  People forget Griffith was very relevant with individuals AND as a team for a 6 or 7 year stretch in the 2000s.  Anyway, definitely not a historical or current powerhouse:

There are probably many ways to determine which are the top programs in the state, but I thought it would be interesting to take a completely objective mathematical approach and see what the results spit out.  Basically, I considered two performance elements in my rankings: 1) Coaches' Trophy points scored in the Individual State Finals for the last 10 years and 2) success in the team tournament over the last 10 years based on a point system.  The point system I developed for team tournament success is based on awarding the team champion approximately the same number of points as the typical Coaches' Trophy winner (90), the team runner-up similar points to the Coaches' runner-up (70), the team semi-finalist losers similar points to 3rd/4th place points for the Coaches' Trophy (55), and so on.  I awarded 45 points for quarterfinal losers, 30 for regional champions, 20 for regional runners-up, and 10 for first round regional losers (for 2009, with the new system, I gave 30 to regional runners-up, 20 to regional first round losers, and 10 to sectional runners-up for consistency in awarding points to 64 teams).

The final results listed below are intended to be a synthesis of individual tournament success and team tournament success, hopefully revealing the true depth and quality of the top programs in the state of Indiana.  There are not many surprises to be found.  Here is the list with some explanation for each.  I give you Indiana's Top 12 Programs of the Decade:

12. Crown Point-472 points

Individual state championships: 3

State placewinners: 18

Coaches' trophy points: 232 (13th)

Team State appearances: 1

Team State titles: 1

11. Griffith-540.5 points

Individual state championships: 11

State placewinners: 20

Coaches' trophy points: 380.5 (5th)

Team State runner-up: 1

10. Franklin-548.5 points

Individual state championships: 2

State placewinners: 16

Coaches' trophy points: 243.5 (12th)

Team State appearances: 3

9. Bloomington South-576 points

Individual state championships: 6

State placewinners: 19

Coaches' trophy points: 281 (10th)

8. Indianapolis Cathedral-622.5 points

State placewinners: 32

Coaches' trophy points: 367.5 (6th)

7. Merrillville-639 points

Individual state championships: 4

State placewinners: 27

Coaches' trophy points: 354 (7th)

6. Portage-753.5 points

State placewinners: 29

Coaches' trophy points: 393.5 (4th)

Team State appearances: 5

5. Perry Meridian-782 points

Individual state championships: 5

State placewinners: 25

Coaches' trophy points: 297 (9th)

Team State appearances: 8

Team State runner-up: 3

4. Bellmont-828 points

Coaches' trophy points: 323 (8th)

Team State appearances: 10

3. Lawrence North-910 points

State placewinners: 37

Coaches' trophy points: 485 (3rd)

Team State titles: 2

2. Mishawaka-1063 points

Individual state championships: 8

State placewinners: 34

Coaches' trophy points: 488 (2nd)

Team State runner-up: 2

1. Evansville Mater Dei-1413 points

State placewinners: 45

Coaches' trophy points: 683 (1st)

Team State appearances: 9

Team State titles: 6

I posted this on New Year's Eve 2009.  People forget Griffith was very relevant with individuals AND as a team for a 6 or 7 year stretch in the 2000s.  Anyway, definitely not a historical or current powerhouse:

There are probably many ways to determine which are the top programs in the state, but I thought it would be interesting to take a completely objective mathematical approach and see what the results spit out.  Basically, I considered two performance elements in my rankings: 1) Coaches' Trophy points scored in the Individual State Finals for the last 10 years and 2) success in the team tournament over the last 10 years based on a point system.  The point system I developed for team tournament success is based on awarding the team champion approximately the same number of points as the typical Coaches' Trophy winner (90), the team runner-up similar points to the Coaches' runner-up (70), the team semi-finalist losers similar points to 3rd/4th place points for the Coaches' Trophy (55), and so on.   I awarded 45 points for quarterfinal losers, 30 for regional champions, 20 for regional runners-up, and 10 for first round regional losers (for 2009, with the new system, I gave 30 to regional runners-up, 20 to regional first round losers, and 10 to sectional runners-up for consistency in awarding points to 64 teams).

The final results listed below are intended to be a synthesis of individual tournament success and team tournament success, hopefully revealing the true depth and quality of the top programs in the state of Indiana.  There are not many surprises to be found.  Here is the list with some explanation for each.  I give you Indiana's Top 12 Programs of the Decade:

12. Crown Point-472 points

State placewinners: 18

Coaches' trophy points: 232 (13th)

11. Griffith-540.5 points

State placewinners: 20

Coaches' trophy points: 380.5 (5th)

10. Franklin-548.5 points

Individual state championships: 2

State placewinners: 16

Coaches' trophy points: 243.5 (12th)

9. Bloomington South-576 points

State placewinners: 19

Coaches' trophy points: 281 (10th)

8. Indianapolis Cathedral-622.5 points

State placewinners: 32

Coaches' trophy points: 367.5 (6th)

7. Merrillville-639 points

Individual state championships: 4

State placewinners: 27

Coaches' trophy points: 354 (7th)

6. Portage-753.5 points

Coaches' trophy points: 393.5 (4th)

5. Perry Meridian-782 points

Individual state championships: 5

State placewinners: 25

Coaches' trophy points: 297 (9th)

Team State appearances: 8

Team State runner-up: 3

4. Bellmont-828 points

Coaches' trophy points: 323 (8th)

3. Lawrence North-910 points

State placewinners: 37

Coaches' trophy points: 485 (3rd)

Team State titles: 2

2. Mishawaka-1063 points

Individual state championships: 8

State placewinners: 34

Coaches' trophy points: 488 (2nd)

Team State runner-up: 2

1. Evansville Mater Dei-1413 points

State placewinners: 45

Coaches' trophy points: 683 (1st)

Team State appearances: 9

Team State titles: 6

Did you know that in this world, men with to much spare time on their hands can now go out and meet whats called a WOMAN!  Dude I HIGHLY Recommend them!  They are pretty darned neat!

;-)

Take out the "Big 4" for Griffith and how do they do? They were absolutely fantastic there for a few years while those guys were around, if Jason Tsirtsis had stayed there they could be back again. Practice partners make a world of difference.

Take out the "Big 4" for Griffith and how do they do? They were absolutely fantastic there for a few years while those guys were around, if Jason Tsirtsis had stayed there they could be back again. Practice partners make a world of difference.

They did have Santana Adams and David Martin III during some of that time to help aid in the cause.  But, yes they were blessed for a few years with guys that could give them an automatic 5 or 6 every time they stepped on the mat.

Did you know that in this world, men with to much spare time on their hands can now go out and meet whats called a WOMAN!   Dude I HIGHLY Recommend them!  They are pretty darned neat!

;-)

Ha.  You haven't read my other stuff if you think this is bad.  :)  My beautiful wife is laughing at your post.

Take out? Really?? Take out the top four from any school and how do they do? Not as well I'm sure.

Rankings Guy:                    You say Merrillville will get 4 state champions, yet in your all

picker, you only picked 3.

My personal opinion is that Evansville had the toughest semi-state.

Mater Dei has one of the 3 toughest teams in the state, if not the toughest

and they only have 5 going to  state and none of them were champions.

I really have no dog in this fight, but

I am gonna have to say Merrillville is the toughest most years.

Clearly you don't understand the use of "dog in the fight."   This might be part of your disgust with its constant use.  You are from the Merrillville semi-state, so your dog is definitely in the combat zone for this topic thread.

What you need to do is find as many pointless arguments as possible for which you have no understanding and have never met or seen anyone involved, and interject a strong, overstated opinion--all the while reminding everyone constantly that your dog is at home.  Does this make sense?  Once you've tried it once or twice, I'm sure you'll see that it's a great joy not to have a dog in the fight and to mention this fact often.

Rankings Guy:                    You say Merrillville will get 4 state champions, yet in your all

picker, you only picked 3.

My personal opinion is that Evansville had the toughest semi-state.

Mater Dei has one of the 3 toughest teams in the state, if not the toughest

and they only have 5 going to  state and none of them were champions.

Maybe MD was a lil bit over rated huh? i mean i think over all new castle was defiantly toughest this year. don't think MD can hang with Perry or CP this year they are just to solid all around and have the big guns. 

Merriville was the toughest Last Year !  This is a new year and the Castle semi-staters are a little tougher and more seasoned than we were last year.  We should have a little better  showing this year...  Good Luck To All the Kids who worked their buts off to get to State....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.