Crown Point vs. MD

Bruschi

I think the Meth has  kept you up for 4 days and you dont know whats going on.   I will remember you after Md and CP meet.  Then we will talk!!

It's great to see the storied program on the river back in the spotlight. In my opinion though, it's not going to be quite as close as is being said here. I'll take CP by a dozen. That in spite of the fact that MD is a more experienced lineup with seven seniors to four for CP, and four underclassmen starting for CP as opposed to three for MD(so. and fr.) CP will only be graduating two of their six ranked wrestlers this year, while MD will lose six of their eight ranked individuals.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say it.  Lets look at MD without the rose colored glasses. MD qualifies 13 for the Evansville Semi-State.

3 champions

4 runners up

2 thirds

4 fourths

1 champion, 285, was by injury default. 1  fourth sat after qualifying for ss due to injury.

The Castle Regional is no stroll in the park, but the overall parity is not what it was the last few years.  

I have to say CP has the edge in this duel, especially if MD is having issues at 160.

Just my worthless 2 cents.

I will say it.  Lets look at MD without the rose colored glasses. MD qualifies 13 for the Evansville Semi-State.

3 champions

4 runners up

2 thirds

4 fourths

1 champion, 285, was by injury default. 1  fourth sat after qualifying for ss due to injury.

The Castle Regional is no stroll in the park, but the overall parity is not what it was the last few years.  

I have to say CP has the edge in this duel, especially if MD is having issues at 160.

Just my worthless 2 cents.

I'm not sure what the injury default has to do with the 285 champion. Wasn't that the same matchup from sectional?  Most likely the same result would have occurred.  Can't really take much away from them for that.

This should be a good one to watch.  Will be interesting to see which weight class it starts.  I think for CP to swing it their way 112, 119, & 130 are big matches for them.  If they win 2 of the 3 they are in good shape.  MD I think has to consider bumping Boots up to wrestle Kral depending on how the flip goes and if there back-up can get a victory at 189.  The way Kral looked on Thursday, I can definitely seeing him getting 6 if they wrestle straight up.  As always bonus points will be huge, EMD needs to weather the storm bewtween 135 - 145 and give up minimal points.  It is hard for me to call considering I have not seen EMD this year and from what I have heard from parties who have seen both, it is too close to call as well.  Looking forward to seeing these two teams go at it later this month.

Hey Nickster, Kouts isn't part of the REGION(dangerously close).  Still funny though.  Wahoo for that one.  As far as Saroff three of his losses come from Petrov #2 and I'm not sure about his other 2, one  may be from the Lawrence North kid or possibly Illinois loss(Stagg Invite).

Hey Nickster, Kouts isn't part of the REGION(dangerously close).  Still funny though.  Wahoo for that one.  As far as Saroff three of his losses come from Petrov #2 and I'm not sure about his other 2, one  may be from the Lawrence North kid or possibly Illinois loss(Stagg Invite).

Saroff lost to Medina who is ranked at the Portage Team Championship .

Honestly i think it is to close to call, I've seen Crown Point and Mater Dei wrestle this year. They both are tough. If Mater Dei prevents, from giving up the big points, i see them winning. They match up pretty well against Crown Point. Its going to come down to who gets the most pins. If Mater Dei wrestles smart, I see them winning. Crown Point Studs, must take care of business or i see them losing.  Points will be scarce, so that is where it will be won. Head to Head i see a very entertaining match, barring any bumps or moves, i just dont see that happening. Both these teams are pretty much solid through the line ups. Both teams do have some weaknesses, so i think they negate each other in some weight classes. Should be fun..

I'm not sure what the injury default has to do with the 285 champion. Wasn't that the same matchup from sectional?  Most likely the same result would have occurred.  Can't really take much away from them for that.

What I am saying is 285 in this particular Regional is not what it has been in the last couple of years...For that fact neither is 189 or 215.  We just don't have the level of competition for whatever reason to allow Van winkle to be given a walk over based on his record. 

If CP puts solid wrestlers on the mat at 171, 215, and 285...They stand a very good chance at taking those classed.  189 is also a possibility depending on which Boots shows up for that given match.

In the lower weights (103 - 119 especially) this particular MD line up is not stellar.  If MD wants to win, they will have to come up HUGE in a couple of places and CP will have to fall apart I am afraid. 

Not trying to be argumentative, but this ISN'T the MD of old.  They win duals and tourneys, but the level of competition locally they have faced this year isn't what it has been in the recent past.    My point to my post is look at what MD did in the Regional finals.  You send that many kids to the finals, and end up with 3 champs seems to indicate to me that as a team, against high caliber competition, MD is somewhat exposed.  CP brings a very strong lineup to the table.  So MD will have to step it up. 

Like I said, just my 2 cents, and I hope they wrestle their butts off.   

103 Fuqua maj Seng 4-0

112 Goebel dec Saroff 4-3 (Very close match could go either way)

119 Burlison dec Pierre 7-3

125 Henderson dec Harvey 7-6

130 Halstead dec Mangold 10-6

135 Fuqua dec Schroeder 13-6

140 Tsirtsis pin Lannert 19-6

145 Roach maj Riggs 23-6

152 Flamme dec Weinzapfel 26-6

160 Sims maj Shurg 26-10

171 Schrewsbury dec... 29-10

189 Boots pin Langbehn 29-16

215 Kral pin Wright 35-16

285 Vanwinkle pin Swope 35-22

This is as close as I can see it getting, I am sure there may be some bumping. However I don't really see how its going to help I do not see many people able to beat Kral in the state at this current time.  125 and 130 may flip flop wins CP may win 125 and MD may win 130. However its very possible CP wins both of those. Then you go 135-152 where they will not lose, and I feel I even went on the low side on the amount of points CP could accumulate here.  This match doesn't come any closer than 13 points.

I think it could go either way.  Seems Fuqua (135) has been hurt most of the year.  135 is going to brutal at state, if he re-injuries (I think it is his knee) that will be a big loss.  I think I read an article in the NWITimes that it is still hurting him.  Fuqua may see Raley, Keiffer, Jackson and Gregory in the next 2 weeks.  160 Simms if he is not healthy will be huge as well.  I think MD needs a pin at 160.  112, 119, 130 are huge swing matches.  I think 171 goes to MD.  I think Bradenstein will be looking to revenge his loss at regionals.  if 171 goes CP it is going to be over.  I think Tsirtsis and Roach both get pins or tech. I think VanWinkle will get a pin.  Does MD have a good backup at 189 so they can bump up Boots?

Bruschi I just dont see it happening, I understand the name Mater Dei carries a lot of weight. Fuqua (135) did take some time out for his knee to recover. But what he did this weekend I think his knee is showing no signs of weakness, I understand he is going to be wrestling some top notch guys at State. However planning ( I am not saying this is what you are doing)  on a guy not to wrestle is not in the equation, at any given moment one of these wrestler could be out for the rest of the season. Most of these young men wrestle with injuries all year long, anybodys ACL, MCL could go at anytime. Even if Mater Dei bumps Boots up its going to cancel out, thats if they have a guy at 189 who can beat Langbehn. MD would get 3 and then give away 3 or possibly more.

Bruschi I just dont see it happening, I understand the name Mater Dei carries a lot of weight. Fuqua (135) did take some time out for his knee to recover. But what he did this weekend I think his knee is showing no signs of weakness, I understand he is going to be wrestling some top notch guys at State. However planning ( I am not saying this is what you are doing)  on a guy not to wrestle is not in the equation, at any given moment one of these wrestler could be out for the rest of the season. Most of these young men wrestle with injuries all year long, anybodys ACL, MCL could go at anytime. Even if Mater Dei bumps Boots up its going to cancel out, thats if they have a guy at 189 who can beat Langbehn. MD would get 3 and then give away 3 or possibly more.

MOGILLIS,

Yeah I don't think I stated that right, or at least that is not what I was trying to say.  I feel that he is going to be facing some tough wrestlers and if he is not 100% it is going to be tough to come back the next week against MD.  Very true it is a tough/injury prone sport, look at Howe, it can happen to anybody.  I agree with you I think CP is slight favorite if both teams are healthy and MD will need so breaks to go their way.  It is going to be fun to watch and I think whoever wins will win State, I think both teams would be favorite over Perry.

I don't know who will win, but I do know this:  you're going to see two classic singlets on that mat.  I don't know if I've ever seen either team wear a different singlet in my life, and I've been watching Indiana high school wrestling for a long time. 

Saroff lost to Medina who is ranked at the Portage Team Championship .

I say Saroff will get pinned or at least teched by Goebel , the 112s down here are tougher and deffinately under ranked to the boys up north . We're not getting the respect we deserve at this class , the extra couple of points from this match can swing this match up .

I read the article in the NWI Times...I think this is what he's referring to...

"A gimpy left knee hampered  Jake Fuqua, who held off Chesterton's Chris Katsafaros 4-2.

"I was kind of slow my last two matches, but a win's a win at this point," Fuqua said."

Merlyn,

Actually, it looks like MD has new singlets.  I'm not sure why they bothered because the design is basically the same.  They added a pinstripe down the side.  I wonder if they'll ever lose the 70s era red leggings.

Really?  That surprises me.  I always thought Mater Dei's singlets were classic.  I think I can remember a few Mater Dei wrestlers over the years who did not wear the leggings, although I could be wrong.  Oh well, we will still be seeing good wrestling either way, which after all is the most important thing. 

Heres what going to happen .

C.P.              E.M.D.

103  Fuqua pins Seng                         No contest                               6                      0

112  Saroff maj Goebel                        Saroff tougher comp.         10                     0

119  Burlison dec Pierre                     Good match                           13                     0

125  Hederson pins Harvey               Hedersons to tough             13                     6

130  Mangold dec Halsted                  Could go either way           13                     9                    

135  Fuqua dec Schroeder                  Could be a maj.                    16                     9

140  Tsirtsis pins Doesn't matter.    Best in Nation.                     22                    9                      

145  Roach pins Riggs                          State Champ                         28                    9

152  Flamme maj Weinz.                   Under radar                          33                    9

160  Sims maj Schurg                         To tough                                33                    13

171  Schrewsbury dec   ?                                                                      36                    13

189  Boots pins Langbehn                   "               "                                36                    19

215  Kral pins Wright                          Krals a beast                          42                   19

285  Vanwinkle pins Swope               Over matched                       42                   25      

Really?  That surprises me.  I always thought Mater Dei's singlets were classic.  I think I can remember a few Mater Dei wrestlers over the years who did not wear the leggings, although I could be wrong.  Oh well, we will still be seeing good wrestling either way, which after all is the most important thing. 

As a former CP wrestler I know how much emphasis Coach Vlink has on how his team should look and act, but with that said I would love for them to have say a championship singlet in which he inverted the colors a white singlet with red letters and red trim would look freaking cool under the lights at state.

I understand how good Roach and Tsirsits are, but can someone give me some stats on how many pins they each have for the year?  Pins vs. kids that are ranked that is....  I don't think they are pinners, very good technical wrestlers, and could beat maybe everyone in the country, but they beat them by points not throwing them in a headlock or working them over with a big power half or something....  just my opinion, but I don't think they pin kids who are ranked, but give me facts to prove me wrong. 

I've seen MD wrestle this year and think like most of  the people on here it will be a close team meet. CP has 2 of the better wrestlers that  I will say win with a tech fall but I don't see Lannert getting pinned has too much heart and Riggs the same. If this was a MD team of previous years I would say there would be NO pins, but they are not and have seen some give up pins without much of a fight. This will be the match to watch of the day

I understand how good Roach and Tsirsits are, but can someone give me some stats on how many pins they each have for the year?  Pins vs. kids that are ranked that is....  I don't think they are pinners, very good technical wrestlers, and could beat maybe everyone in the country, but they beat them by points not throwing them in a headlock or working them over with a big power half or something....  just my opinion, but I don't think they pin kids who are ranked, but give me facts to prove me wrong. 

Crown Point has been so dominating this year that they haven't needed a certain match to put them over the top , Roach and Tsirtsis are like a cat playing with a mouse once they have caught it they like to play with it for awhile , if the Coach needs a pin from one of these guys he'll get it , I guarantee EMD have never seen any wrestlers  like these two this year .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.