State Runner Up Disqualified

Devils27

What happened in the 103lb match in 1991-1992 to get the wrestler in the finals disqulified?  All it says is Jason Terry from Cathedral won and there isn't even a name of the person he wrestled.  Just curious. 

That is an error.  Devon Nelson of Mishawaka was the runner-up.  Terry pinned him in the finals for the win.  It was not a post-match DQ either, there was a DQ the year, or two years prior that I think the IHSAA mistakenly carried over to the stats for 91-92.

That is NOT AN ERROR he was DQed after the match for an illegal practice partner.

TAE

This was discussed in an earlier thread.

http://indianamat.com/messageboard/index.php/topic,14431.0.html

People seemed to have remembered that Jason Terry's opponent in 1989-90 was disqualified after the match when it was learned he was practicing with someone else from another team prior to state.

No one could explain what happened with Nelson in 1991-92 and nobody remembered ever hearing about him being disqualified. Given that it was only 2 years after the other incident and involved the same opponent (Terry), I am more inclined to believe the story that it's a mixup in the state records. Especially with Nelson being from Mishawaka - surely they had someone around his weight to practice with.

Here's my post from an earlier thread with the addition of the names.

In '89-90, the runner-up at 103 from Evansville Harrison (Matt Stevens, I think) and the 3rd place finisher at 112 from Southridge (Chad Williams, I think) practiced together the week before the state tournament.  This constituted a violation of IHSAA rules and both wrestlers were forced to give up their places.

This was a fairly common practice back in the 70's and 80's (at least down here in sw IN).  There was no one else from either team who qualified for state, so the two coaches got together with their wrestlers so each would have a competitive drill partner.  

Also, Devon Nelson of Mishawaka was pinned by Eric Early of Ft. Wayne Northside in the '90-'91 state finals.  He was also pinned in the 103 state finals by Jason Terry of Cathedral in '91-92.  I don't know why the DQ was issued in '92.

Both DQ's in '89-'90 were issued after the matches had been wrestled so the same thing could have happened to Nelson in '92.

The only time I know of where a DQ took place in an actual match during the finals was in '74 when both wrestlers in the championship at 177 were DQed for stalling in overtime.  They were Mike Mutka from Highland and Larry Vaughan from Indy Manual.

Is that policy of prohibiting practicing with other teams in season still in effect?  I think the rule must have been made to prevent city schools benefiting from being close by while small town schools are disadvantaged by distance and travel time.

Is that policy of prohibiting practicing with other teams in season still in effect?  I think the rule must have been made to prevent city schools benefiting from being close by while small town schools are disadvantaged by distance and travel time.

The rule should be erased other states (Ohio) have no such rule and are allowed to wrestle at clubs after there school pratice.  The good kids practice with other good kids= great wrestlers.

That is NOT AN ERROR he was DQed after the match for an illegal practice partner.

TAE

Sorry TAE, but I think you and the IHSAA are wrong on this one.  I am a Mishawaka guy, and have never heard of this, right after and until this day.  Wouldn't team points for that individual be deducted if he were disqualified? 

Sorry TAE, but I think you and the IHSAA are wrong on this one.  I am a Mishawaka guy, and have never heard of this, right after and until this day.  Wouldn't team points for that individual be deducted if he were disqualified? 

Confirmed with Devon.  Never happened, my bringing it up to him was the FIRST time he had ever heard such a thing.  Sorry TAE, but the IHSAA is wrong on this one.  I advised Devon to have the MHS Athletic Department contact the IHSAA to correct this, and he will be doing so.

That is an error.  Devon Nelson of Mishawaka was the runner-up.  Terry pinned him in the finals for the win.  It was not a post-match DQ either, there was a DQ the year, or two years prior that I think the IHSAA mistakenly carried over to the stats for 91-92.

That was the first state finals match I ever saw in person.  I hated to see Devon lose, but that was one of the greatest matches I have ever seen in my life.  I tell that story to everyone I meet who wants to know about what the state finals are like.  The emotions in the final minutes of that match were incredible.  I have been hooked on the finals ever since.

I just talk to Devon.  He has never been informed by the IHSAA of any kind of action.  I have just spoke to the IHSAA, they stated Devon and his school would have clearly been involved in any inquiries by the IHSAA action committee.  Devon has never heard of anything like this.  I guarentee you, nothing unethical would have taken place under the "Al Smith" regime.

How did this even become news.  I have had 7 phone calls the past 3 days.  I would like to know how and who came up with I was DQ'd after the match.  I  was never cantacted by the IHSAA at any time and the medal still hangs in my medal case.  This just reminds me of like CNN, meaning I heard a rumor and not chaeck into any facts but i am going to smear the persons name and reputation.  Who ever did come up with this should be ashamed as it like 6th graders spreading gossip.

I think the IHSAA created the problem with incorrect data on their web site.  About two years ago, the IHSAA redid their web site.  It was obvious that somebody at the IHSAA, or a subcontractor, reentered the history of state finals matches for that new web page.  I think TAE just became confused because of the similar situation Terry had two years prior combined with the inaccurate IHSAA web site data.

I think it's just an honest mistake and people are asking to see if it's true.

This was the first state finals match I ever saw, too, so I've been very curious as well. It was good enough to make me want to keep coming 20 yrs later.

Bottom line, I don't think anyone is doing anything malicious in this case.

I am sure that is what has happened, i just find it distasteful for someone to post something he has no idea what he is even talking about, and if he did, he should have his facts straight.  As far as MHS niot making much noise, they are young and did very well this year.  They have a bunch of good kids working very hard to make themselves better and should be applauded for what they achieved this year. Next year they will be a seasoned team with a huge amount of talent and dedicate kids.  Im also sure coach snyder reminds them everyday what they need to get better and achieve, along with giving them the skills they need to improve.

How did this even become news.  I have had 7 phone calls the past 3 days.  I would like to know how and who came up with I was DQ'd after the match.  I  was never cantacted by the IHSAA at any time and the medal still hangs in my medal case.  This just reminds me of like CNN, meaning I heard a rumor and not chaeck into any facts but i am going to smear the persons name and reputation.  Who ever did come up with this should be ashamed as it like 6th graders spreading gossip.

Can someone kick this guy off the board, please. No one should have a 1st post this good....esp. the CNN jab....priceless !!!    wahoo

ff

I am sure that is what has happened, i just find it distasteful for someone to post something he has no idea what he is even talking about, and if he did, he should have his facts straight.  As far as MHS niot making much noise, they are young and did very well this year.  They have a bunch of good kids working very hard to make themselves better and should be applauded for what they achieved this year. Next year they will be a seasoned team with a huge amount of talent and dedicate kids.  Im also sure coach snyder reminds them everyday what they need to get better and achieve, along with giving them the skills they need to improve.

It's the nature of online forums for people to attack individuals, teams, and coaches. None of those happened in this case. Someone saw something on the IHSAA website that didn't make sense so they asked for clarification. I don't think you need to be taking this personally.

I am just simply saying if a person wants to post something they should be accountable for the info they are putting on here, and since im holding them accountable for his actions i should be kicked off.  This is really offensive to say I cheated, that questions my integrity, my coaches and my school i attened.  I dont take it lightly and if someone questioned his integrity im sure he would not just sit idle and let it happen.

Go back and read the first post on the topic, they weren't making any accusation, it was in the form of a question.  They were wondering why the IHSAA has your match as a DQ.  Which I've been trying to tell people is a mistake.  Nobody was making accusations, it was a question that originated the post.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.