Do what is best for WRESTLING NOT YOU!

Darrick Snyder

Reading the whole Eastern pulling out of the Team Regional thread gotten me pretty fired up.  I am going to try to be respectful and appropriate, but I am also going to be completely honest.

Wrestling Coaches we MUST start focusing on what is best for OUR SPORT and not what is best for our specific program.  We are screwing oursleves because we are being selfish.  I have no idea what the specific situation is with Eastern, but from what I have heard I do not agree with their decision.  They should be competing wednesday at the Team Regional.  It makes our sport look BAD!  In my opinion, Eastern should go with whatever few guys they have able to compete and leave it out there.  To withdraw, looks bad for all of us.

If we are ever going to make progress, we need to stop the mentality that "this is what is best for my program so this is what I want".  What is BEST for WRESTLING is what we need to focus on.

I obviously will always want and work for bringing success to Mishawaka, but not at the expense of our sport!

Examples:

We have won two Team State Titles, but I still support it being classed.  I like it as one class for a number of reasons, but I will fight to get it classed because that is what is best for the sport.

I am also in favor of raising the 103 weight class a bit.  I never have trouble filling the weight class...and currently have 3 kids under 95 pounds on my team, but I know lots of smaller schools have issues filling that weight class so I am in favor of raising it.

My point is STOP being selfish...stop saying this is what I want because it is best for MY school!  THINK LONG TERM and think about what is best for WRESTLING NOT YOU!

Feel free to blast me...don't care - Bears lost and Penn killed us in the sectional so it can't get much worse...

Thanks

Darrick Snyder

I would do just about anything for this sport, but losing on purpose isn't one!  haha....I know what you mean about someone different winning the sectional, but those past Mishawaka teams trained very hard for the streak we had.  Penn earned the sectional title this year and we wish them nothing but the best in their journey in the Team State Series...

Coach Snyder,

I couldn't agree more. Bad things happen to good teams and/or individuals every year whether it be grades, injuries, etc. Go out and compete with what you have and hold your head up regardless of the outcome. When it's all said and done, it's just a sport. It's all about the journey. Nobody's life is going to be ruined over a high school dual meet. Maybe their team will be the topic of a future thread, "Best team to never win a regional."

Not blasting you, just simply disagree....

You cite examples that you think are best for the sport?  Classing the team series and changing 103.  Since you think they will better the sport you can have that opinion.  Classing the team series in my opinion will not help the sport as a whole but mainly some small schools while doing nothing to help the bigger schools that are struggling now, and I am a firm believer that changing 103 will hurt the sport because many kids that size in high school have limited to any athletic opportunities.  Should I say the people that want those changes are selfish?

As much as I have read concerning the team that may have or not have dropped out of the team regional.. It is still two days away.  However, I agree that it is about doing what is right.  It was mentioned about how certain teams have sent their reserve teams out there to save the varsity kids for the upcoming weekend or due to matchups..I also understand that if a team has their backs against the wall when competing against good teams to advance.  However, for fourteen years, teams were trying to just be the 2nd place team just to get to wrestle on that Wednesday night.. It is a big step for those programs.  I know that Floyd Central got 2nd a couple years ago and turned around won the team regional and then when on to the semi-state.  Those are always good stories.  For now, we do not get those chances anymore because now they only take the top team from an individual tourney.  It would be difficult to beat any good team when forfeiting any weights,  our middle school teams are proof of that.  However, you try to make the ones you have better.  As far as Coach Snyder's comments on the weight class 103;  I may be off when I say that even I whom back in the day competed when it was 98 do not want to see the weight class shift any further.  Some years you dont have as many and others you may have an abundance.  At our school, we have and will have some lighter kids that will struggle just because of the weight difference but are very good wrestlers.  Heck, I still feel that they need to have a weight class between 215 and 285.  I recently saw a post on flowrestling where it was suggested about inserting a weight between the top two weights.  Talk about what is best for our sport.  In high school why would we take classes away when you are taking opportunities away from them.  Those kids will grow sometime and that is the key.  In college, most of them are done growing.  I am totally for the team tourney but do not agree with the format.  I dont have all the answers but it does need changed just not dissolved. 

Big wahoo for coach snyder and a boo for AJ.

i honestly believe that no matter what coach snyder would do what is best for the sport of wrestling and i commend that. 

My question to you AJ - is it best for the sport of wrestling for eastern to drop out?

also - does anyone honestly believe that the individual tournament is the best way to crown a team champion?

You cite examples that you think are best for the sport?  Classing the team series and changing 103.  Since you think they will better the sport you can have that opinion.  Classing the team series in my opinion will not help the sport as a whole but mainly some small schools while doing nothing to help the bigger schools that are struggling now, and I am a firm believer that changing 103 will hurt the sport because many kids that size in high school have limited to any athletic opportunities.  Should I say the people that want those changes are selfish?

I think your missing his point, I think he is saying Respect Your Sport. Its larger than individuals, or any team or teams. Correct me if I'm wrong Coach!

One thing I am having trouble with on this issue is whatever happened to "I make a committment, I keep it".  By entering into the "IHSAA" sectional the schools make a committment to both the team and individual tournaments. 

As of now the two tournaments are connected, individuals qualify the team for the team tournament, it is not the other way.  It may be harsh, but why would a team be allowed to pull out of the team regional event then the kids be allowed to wrestle in the individual regional?  This makes no sense, the singlets those kids are wearing have the school names on them, so don't they represent the school still?

I have seen several schoold go to meets this year able to fill 7 or less weight classes due to injuries and illness, one school could only fill 4 weight classes due to low participation.  But they always showed up, knowing they would lose, they showed!

AJ you are missing my point...

If you believe those things because you think they are BEST FOR WRESTLING and NOT because they are BEST FOR YOUR SCHOOL, we are on the same page.

My issue is with people and coaches that want something because it is best for their program and don't seem to care about what is best for wrestling.

The 103 issue is debatable.  Don't really want to get into that now, but 103 is most forfeited weight class ...and I have talked to lots of small school coaches that say they could fill it if it were slightly raised.  My point is determine your decision based off of what you believe is best for the sport as a whole and not your team.  If it was just about Mishawaka for me, I would fight for a 90 pound weight class.  Jake Sinkovics is a freaking stud for us and only weighs 88 pounds...technique wise he is a state placer, but much too small for 103...My decision is based off of what I think is best for the sport...that is all I am asking coaches and fans to do.

As far as classing team state, I want to smash my head into a wall.  How is the world would that not benefit our sport?  Big schools have the numbers and can fill and compete in dual meets...maybe they need to adjust what they are doing, but there is no reason they can't compete.  We had won something like 10 sectionals in a row...and Penn crushed us saturday.  That is my point... if we are competing against schools with similar numbers for a trip to state, a chance to place and/or a chance to win how is the world can ANYONE say that isn't good for our sport.  We are NOT talking about ending the individual freaking tournament...We are just talking about making our sport more of a team sport and giving more teams a chance to be successful in the Team Series.  Why not give kids a chance to be finalists, placers or champs in both the Team and Individual State?  How is that not a good thing?

Thanks

Snyder

AJ you are missing my point...

If you believe those things because you think they are BEST FOR WRESTLING and NOT because they are BEST FOR YOUR SCHOOL, we are on the same page.

My issue is with people and coaches that want something because it is best for their program and don't seem to care about what is best for wrestling.

The 103 issue is debatable.  Don't really want to get into that now, but 103 is most forfeited weight class ...and I have talked to lots of small school coaches that say they could fill it if it were slightly raised.  My point is determine your decision based off of what you believe is best for the sport as a whole and not your team.  If it was just about Mishawaka for me, I would fight for a 90 pound weight class.  Jake Sinkovics is a freaking stud for us and only weighs 88 pounds...technique wise he is a state placer, but much too small for 103...My decision is based off of what I think is best for the sport...that is all I am asking coaches and fans to do.

As far as classing team state, I want to smash my head into a wall.  How is the world would that not benefit our sport?  Big schools have the numbers and can fill and compete in dual meets...maybe they need to adjust what they are doing, but there is no reason they can't compete.  We had won something like 10 sectionals in a row...and Penn crushed us saturday.  That is my point... if we are competing against schools with similar numbers for a trip to state, a chance to place and/or a chance to win how is the world can ANYONE say that isn't good for our sport.  We are NOT talking about ending the individual freaking tournament...We are just talking about making our sport more of a team sport and giving more teams a chance to be successful in the Team Series.  Why not give kids a chance to be finalists, placers or champs in both the Team and Individual State?  How is that not a good thing?

Thanks

Snyder

Well stated! 

I think that if you are going to crown your sectional champioship team, which will advance in the team dual tournament, based on an individual tournament then you should crown the team state champion the same way.  Let dual teams determine team dual state champions, not individuals.

Wow, this is the first I have heard of this. I say they go right down the line starting with kokomo, if they don't want to, go to the next, we would love to go, even with 7 frosh in the line up, we'd give it our best, even though it wouldn't be enough. I think if you pull out, you should be ineligible for X amount of years.

Respectfully disagree with you on both counts.

On the 103 issue, the forfeits have been pretty consistent for the last three years.  If it were raised to 106, for example, would that decrease the forfeits?  If the answer is yes, then it is good for wrestling.  Maybe bad for some individuals.  Maybe bad for some schools.  If it allows more kids to wrestle, how can it not be good for wrestling?

On the classing issue, more teams will have a chance to place in a classed team state tournament.  It builds up hope.  It allows programs to promote that portion of the post season.  More people will spend more money going to more events.  More is good.  Anytime you can get someone to watch one more match or attend one more event, you have done a good job of promoting the sport.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.