Sectional winning team pulling out of team regionals! (Coaches!)

HN Vikes

WOW!  Well I hope Eastern is still in.  If not I think that it should be those wrestler's decision whether or not they are capable of wrestling the TEAM event.  What about those other boys who did not advance individually, this is one way of keeping their season going.  Now if one has a staph infection he should not been allowed to wrestle at sectional, especially if it is that bad he can't wrestle in team regional.

I am a parent of a current and former wrestler.  Both boys at different weights, attitude and mentality, but both would find the fire deep inside to wrestle.  Recently my current wrestler was sicker than a dog before his conference meet and wasn't really sure he could wrestle but somehow, somewhere found that extra fire or whatever to do so and finished 3rd.  He has also been battling with sore and hurt knees but keeps plugging away fighting through the pain.  NOW as a parent I say rest get better, but thats not what either of my wrestlers want to do.  My son says he will rest when the season is over and the season doesn't end until after February 19.  SO again I say let the wrestler and the parent's of those wrestlers decide whether or not to wrestle at Team Regionals.

Wrestling is the most grueling, most demanding sport out there.  Those who are TRUE wrestlers know this and accept the challenge.  This is why at the beginning of the season, you may have 20 or 30 coming out for the sport but by the time you start wrestling your number are down.  You have weeded out those who are NOT dedicated to the sport.  Anyways GOOD LUCK to all the wrestlers and teams this week.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are we teaching the kids here? That it is ok to completely give up when winning is improbable. Should football teams stop competing in the state series because Carmel and Warren win a lot. NO! Because every few years  teams comes along like LC and Fishers and shows why ALL the teams compete. It isn't the elite team's fault that "5or6 teams have a real chance" of winning state. That should be even more reason for coaches to coach with more purpose, and wrestlers to compete better. This is truly ridiculous, an utter embarrassment.

i have read every page of this post and wanted to add my thoughts or comments. while in high school i was on a 3x sectional champion team. so participating in the team regional is something i know about.  being from a 2a school and participation against bigger schools was a regular. at the time of my participation lawrence north and carmel were dominant. so our team state ended after sectionals, never did we win a dual at regionals. and being a volunteer head coach of 1 wrestler  at a 1a school in parke county, i have a view point of this.  should a school with 175 students boys and girls combined compete in any team event against a school with 2000-3000 students?  do the ben davis's and crown points, really have anything to brag about?

on another note my junior season "2000" ended 1st round regional after a loss to a westfield wrestler beat me, whom chose not to wrestle me at team regional. allowing him to watch me wrestle his back up enabling him to prepare a game plan against me which ultimately worked. so i think the individual concept of team regional should be different based on that aspect alone. i dont have any thought out solutions, but do agree one is needed.

i would just like to ad i have read all these post also. being from this community it is sad to see eastern high schools name

being involved in this discussion. every where we go to wrestle now this is how people will remember our kids and team!

whether or not the team state series is doomed or not its to bad that eastern had to be the one to ad fuel to the fire.

1- The team isn't going to win anyhow

2- Why have his injured and/or sick wrestlers compete and lose and possibly worsen the situation when they can rest and compete on Saturday for a chance to advance individually? (I would liken this to being in the finals of regionals individually and being injured badly - You forfeit the finals, because its irrelevant, and get healthy for the semi-state.

3- The tournament series is silly anyhow. I don't see individual duals for the NCAA championship!

1- The team isn't going to win anyhow

2- Why have his injured and/or sick wrestlers compete and lose and possibly worsen the situation when they can rest and compete on Saturday for a chance to advance individually? (I would liken this to being in the finals of regionals individually and being injured badly - You forfeit the finals, because its irrelevant, and get healthy for the semi-state.

3- The tournament series is silly anyhow. I don't see individual duals for the NCAA championship!

Hope you're ready to weather the storm over that last part....... :P

I was on the first eastern squad to win sectionals as a team in 2002.

I personally  didn't advance that year due to a tough weight class and  didn't wrestle at regionals. I enjoyed going to team state at laff harrison at the time i was a senior in high school. It was fun but  when you look at the big picture. You see that going to team state as a small 2A school you have no chance at winning a  team state title. These big school have lots of athletes and i can see why we are not going to team regionals if thats the case.. Yes we did advance 9 to regional out of 12 but if i was the coach i would do the same thing. Whats team state for  just to say your one of the elite teams in the state who hooo. I'd perfer to focus my    teams  individual goals vs getting beat by a  large 4A school that has lots of  wrestlers on its squad.

Team state Is a JOKE TO THE SMALL SCHOOLS

ehs2002- But it wasn't a team decision to not go to team regionals the coach made the decision (a horrible one) to not wrestle and the sad thing is the AD supported his decision at the time. What about kids on the team that probably will not ever get another opportunity to wrestle beyond sectionals? I feel bad for the whole team who has to suffer and look bad because of coaches who made this decision. They all look bad now whether they're going now or not. The damage is done, and now the IHSAA has that much more fire power to eliminate team state.

I was on the first eastern squad to win sectionals as a team in 2002.

I personally  didn't advance that year due to a tough weight class and  didn't wrestle at regionals. I enjoyed going to team state at laff harrison at the time i was a senior in high school. It was fun but  when you look at the big picture. You see that going to team state as a small 2A school you have no chance at winning a  team state title. These big school have lots of athletes and i can see why we are not going to team regionals if thats the case.. Yes we did advance 9 to regional out of 12 but if i was the coach i would do the same thing. Whats team state for   just to say your one of the elite teams in the state who hooo. I'd perfer to focus my    teams  individual goals vs getting beat by a  large 4A school that has lots of  wrestlers on its squad.

Team state Is a JOKE TO THE SMALL SCHOOLS

I coach at a small school and would love the oppurtunity to compete at a team regional.  It should be an honor to go and comptere there.  The team that wins this regional will go on to compete at the state finals.  Do you think that Delphi who is competing in this same regional feels that team state is a joke?  Heck they have a chance at winning the thing.  The IHSWCA supports the event being classed.  A large majority of the coaches in the state support a classed team duals.  The problem is attitudes like this.  If we lose the team state then it will be gone for good and we will never have a classed team finals.  Instead of whinning about it, we should support it so that it can be saved and someday classed.

Just my opinion and it may not be very popular but I can guarantee you there are many coaches that would give their left or right nut maybe both to get their team into team regional for their school and wrestling program.  I can think of a few here in central Indiana like the up and coming Indianapolis Tech.  Here is a coach that came to an inner city school that has enough of their own problems and is building a program that is actually taking kids off of the rough streets and turning them into something that they would have never thought that they could be and turning them into winners....I can promise you that no matter what, they wouldn't have turned down that chance to represent their school.....Now out here where I live in Hendricks County,  a couple of years ago there was some shifting in the team regionals and Perry got put into our team regional.  So what!!!!  You have a growing county here with Brownsburg, Avon (5A) schools Plainfield (4A) and then little ole schools like Danville, Cascade, Tri-West......This year, Danville came close to knocking off Avon for the sectional title.......I can promise you that Coach Pug of Danville would have never done this.  None of these coaches out here would have done this even though they knew that they had do go up against the mighty Perry Meridian team or Bloomington South team.... or Franklin team....They would have taken their team there and wrestled and the outcome would have been something to grow on and in my opinion, that is what makes a good coach a great coach.....You don't need to win 500 dual meets to be a great coach......

I don't know why Eastern has done what they have done other than what I have read on here so I don't know all of the facts....I just know that this wouldn't have happened around here....Ask the coach from Gary Wallace if he would have kept his kids from going to team regionals......Those kids are wrestling with donated shoes.....

Keep Team State Alive.....It is good for the kids....

Very well said rdrodd! A big OOH RAH for you

''Its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog''

''Ask the coach from Gary Wallace if he would have kept his kids from going to team regionals......Those kids are wrestling with donated shoes.....'' - Motivating!

Evansville Mater Dei IS AN ELITE SCHOOL. They are down by the border and we  have suspesion that they possible recruit but we won't go there.

Eastern is just a small 2a school.  They may be up there with alexandria but id say alexandria has a  tougher sectional to win . I could go on but its like any sport some  schools have easier sectional then others

How do you know this?

It just seems to make sence to me that if they were to get rid of a state duals series that we wouldn't get one back.  I mean this is what we are pushing for now, why wouldn't they just give us a classed team state now if they were going eventually going to?  

Do you believe that loosing the team state would help us to get a classed team state?  If so please tell me the logic behind that.

Evansville Mater Dei IS AN ELITE SCHOOL. They are down by the border and we  have suspesion that they possible recruit but we won't go there.

I am sure everyone that graduated from Mater Dei could spell the word suspicion.

Your total lack of understanding of how Indiana HS wrestling works drops the credibility from your posts. Have you ever seen a roster for Mater Dei? Try comparing it to one from 1990, and the only difference you will find is different first names, and a new head coach.

I feel like classing team state is a great idea as far as an individual team goes..im sure politics within the IHSAA will say otherwise. However classing team state allows more teams to compete, and will deter some of the situations like we are seeing now. and even though they are wrestling now, this whole thing has made a statement and i wouldnt be surprised to this happen in the following years.

How do you know this?

Well... speaking in an absolute is seldom a good strategy because absolutes rarely exist. It's pretty simple logic that having a team state is much more likely to bring about class wrestling than not having a team state. Why is this? Well, it is pretty apparent that the IHSAA has said that classing individual sports in not needed because in the mind of the IHSAA, size of school does not affect an individual in an individual sport. Well, if wrestling gets rid of team state and we have only an Individual tourney, wrestling becomes an individual sport only. As of right now, with a team state, the argument can be made (although unsuccessful in the past) that wrestling IS a TEAM sport.

Now, if we can get the IHSAA to believe that wrestling is a team sport, they will have no choice but to make wrestling like the other team sports and have it classed. But as long as wrestling is viewed as an individual sport, there is little chance that wrestling will become a classed sport.

This topic should have never reached this board.  The IHSAA should have tried their best to talk the Eastern AD out of making the decision to withdraw the team. Once that conversation was over, the IHSAA  needed to call the superintendent of the school corp to discuss the situation with him/her. If the IHSAA had handled this situation better, none of us would have known anything about it.

This is about lack of communication.  I can not believe two people were allowed to make a decision to withdraw a team from an IHSAA sanctioned event.  This is a "championship" team, they are trying to withdraw. I also stuggle with the fact that a person in a major management role within the IHSAA can not resolve this conflict without pointing fingers and allowing this to be splashed across the internet.

It has been in the past, and was shot down what would change it this year? 

I was hoping the Committee To Save Team State would have that figured out by now.

Do you think that loosing team state now will help us get a classed team state someday?

I have answered this question before.  I said back in November that the current format was dead with the IHSAA and the best plan was to blow up the current format and work on classed team state proposal.

Well... speaking in an absolute is seldom a good strategy because absolutes rarely exist. It's pretty simple logic that having a team state is much more likely to bring about class wrestling than not having a team state. Why is this? Well, it is pretty apparent that the IHSAA has said that classing individual sports in not needed because in the mind of the IHSAA, size of school does not affect an individual in an individual sport. Well, if wrestling gets rid of team state and we have only an Individual tourney, wrestling becomes an individual sport only. As of right now, with a team state, the argument can be made (although unsuccessful in the past) that wrestling IS a TEAM sport.

Now, if we can get the IHSAA to believe that wrestling is a team sport, they will have no choice but to make wrestling like the other team sports and have it classed. But as long as wrestling is viewed as an individual sport, there is little chance that wrestling will become a classed sport.

The IHSAA has sponsored a team state tournament for 15 years so  they must already see wrestling as team sport. 

I think it is almost universally agreed that the current format is fatally flawed.

The IHSAA has recently classed soccer.

For these reasons, I think that the IHSAA would listen to a classed team proposal.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.