Semi-State Bracket Question

MOGILLIS

Was wondering if there is a set method for Semi-State brackets. I know that 1 seed wrestles 4 seed and 2 seed wrestles 3 seed first round. Are there designated spots at Semi-State where each specific regional filters into a certain section of the bracket? 

Nothing past the sectional is seeded, either.  It's a 1st place finisher vs. a 4th place and a 2nd place vs. a 3rd place.   You'll see several semistate champions that did not win their regional.

Remember when they used to publish the regional and semi-state draws in the winter bulletin?  That made for some "interesting" results.

Nope.  Totally random that way people don't lose matches on purpose for a better chance.  Let the wrestle back conversations begin.

Thanks for the information but I have a question.    Are you telling me that all the seeds from 1 regional could end up in the same bracket  at Semi state?  But the luck of the draw?    I was thinking that a 1 seed would be set with a 4 from a different regional and the 2nd and third would be from the other 2 regionals that filled in.  So technically a heavy region with 4 really tough kids could move 2 or 3 to state.

Please tell me more.

Thanks for the information but I have a question.    Are you telling me that all the seeds from 1 regional could end up in the same bracket  at Semi state?  But the luck of the draw?    I was thinking that a 1 seed would be set with a 4 from a different regional and the 2nd and third would be from the other 2 regionals that filled in.  So technically a heavy region with 4 really tough kids could move 2 or 3 to state.

Please tell me more.

They could move all 4 to state.

A hypothetical bracket from Merrillville SS might look like:

Logansport regional #1

Calumet regional #4

LaPorte #3

Rochester #2

Laporte #1

Rochester #4

Logan #3

Calumet #2

Rochester #1

Laporte #4

Calumet #3

Logan #2

Calumet #1

Logan #4

Rochester #3

Laporte #2

They could move all 4 to state.

A hypothetical bracket from Merrillville SS might look like:

Logansport regional #1

Calumet regional #4

LaPorte #3

Rochester #2

Laporte #1

Rochester #4

Logan #3

Calumet #2

Rochester #1

Laporte #4

Calumet #3

Logan #2

Calumet #1

Logan #4

Rochester #3

Laporte #2

You have the 1's and 3's from a regional in the same half bracket.  It should be the 1's and 4's from the same regional could meet in the semi's, while the 2's and 3's could meet in semis, right?

Please tell me more.

The regional champion and the 4th place wrestler from the same regional will be on one half of the bracket. On the other half of the bracket will be the 2nd and 3rd place from that same regional.

There are 16 wrestlers on the semistate bracket. Each quarter bracket will have a champion, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th placer from four different regionals.

Ok this is starting to clear things up, here is my next question. Lets use 119 semi-state qualifiers from Logansport Regional just for an example.  A wins the regional, B gets 2nd place, C gets 3rd place, D gets 4th place. Is there any possibility of any of these individuals meeting before the semi-finals ?

Ok this is starting to clear things up, here is my next question. Lets use 119 semi-state qualifiers from Logansport Regional just for an example.  A wins the regional, B gets 2nd place, C gets 3rd place, D gets 4th place. Is there any possibility of any of these individuals meeting before the semi-finals ?

No, all four regionals will be in each quarter bracket in some shape and form of 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 with the winners meeting up to earn their trip to Conseco.

I'm still waiting on them to figure out a better way to choose an alternate for semi-state.   While it is not the biggest issue I feel it worth at least having the most competitive person fill that void in case of sickness, injury, or something else  Currently the rule is whoever wrestled the regional champion first round which is almost always a 4th place finisher from a sectional.  In reality he usually isn' the next best wrestler in the weight class not to advance considering several 2s and 3s get eliminated in round 1.  Since they will never allow wrestle-back form round 1 just to help with finding an alternate I think its worth changing the order.  The alternate should be the highest sectional finisher not to qualifier for semi-state.  In the event two wrestlers have the same sectional placement then it will go to the one who came from the same sectional as the regional winner.  Seems to me that would allow for a better semi-state alternate than the current format does.

Isn't the alternate the loser in the SECOND round, not the First?

Maybe my first post wasn't clear sorry. I mean from regional to semi-state.  At regional the loser of the second round would wrestle for 3rd and 4th place.  Since the new semi-state organization take both of them now the loser of the first round of regional is the semi-state alternate.  I believe the state alternate is the semi-state wrestler who lost to the champion in the second round as you mentioned.  This seems somewhat more of a viable option (though not perfect) than the regional alternate rule.

The fact that 4th place guys from regional advance is still one of the more clear comic hypocrisies by the IHSAA.  We beg for years to get wrestlebacks at semi-state, constantly being told that it would take too much time with everyone driving so far (when in fact in the old system of 12 at semi-state, wrestlebacks could have been done from the quarterfinals with only 1 hour added in a 4-mat facility). 

Instead, the IHSAA suddenly gives us the 'gift' of 4th place finishers--adding the same amount of extra time to the event.  Reason, you ask?  More participants equals more butts in the seats equals more cash.

If the IHSAA needs more cash from this event, that's fine.  Just be clear about your real rationale behind the decision-making process.

Best option is to add wrestlebacks, which would add one more round, and wrestle a 5th and 6th place match as you do at Sectionals.

I think this is a legitimate idea, especially considering that without team state, I would assume that we will be tallying team points at regional and semi-state again.

Wrestling for 5th and 6th would increase the team aspect of this and give us a better alternate.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.