Annual best wrestler to never win it all thread

BingoBangoBongo

Alex Dolly

I think he could of beat SEVERAL of the state champions in other weight classes that year.  Tough draw that Blake Maurer is. 

I would venture to say that it's a safe bet that he could have beaten any of the state champs in classes below his own.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex Dolly

Freshman Year- I believe lost in the ticket round

Sophmore Year- 5th lost 3-2 to State Runner up

Junior Year- 3rd lost 5-4 to State Champ (beat the State Runner up that year)

Senior Year - 2nd lost 1-1 OT Criteria

Does anybody know what he's up to these days?

Who was the Heavyweight in the 90's who made it downtown  undefeated 2-3 times - lost to a much bigger heavyweight. This was pre-215 if I'm not mistaken.

Hummel?

Hummel lost to Andy Schneider, as a JR and SR.  He must have been giving away at least 60lbs, but considering that Schneider was cutting to make weight, it was probably more like giving up 80lbs.  Hummel was the poster-child for the 215lb class.  Ironically, the #1 HWT this year, Daniel Meyer, is roughly Hummel's size.

Alex Dolly

Freshman Year- I believe lost in the ticket round

Sophmore Year- 5th lost 3-2 to State Runner up

Junior Year- 3rd lost 5-4 to State Champ (beat the State Runner up that year)

Senior Year - 2nd lost 1-1 OT Criteria

Does anybody know what he's up to these days?

Lost to Maldonado in the ticket round, I believe.  If memory serves me right, Maldonado placed in the top 4 that year at state.

For many years Damon Hummel from Rochester ('94?) was at the top of this list.  In the last few years, I would say Alex Dolly's ('03?) name has been right there next to Hummel.  I watched both Damon and Alex wrestle many matches.  Personally, I would say Damon Hummell is the best to never win.  But it's only because I give Damon extra bonus points for wrestling Hwt. while actually weighing roughly 200 lbs.  Alex sure was great, though, as evidenced by his outstanding collegiate career.

Jeff Pease from Muncie Southside in the late 80's was a monster.  He got hosed on an illegal slam call at semi-state his junior year and had to come back from a broken ankle his senior year.  ( I think those facts are correct)  Watched him dismatle guys an Junior Nationals.  I don't remember anyone coming close to him.

Lost to Maldonado in the ticket round, I believe.  If memory serves me right, Maldonado placed in the top 4 that year at state.

Yes he did.  Speaking of Bobby Joe Maldonado.....

Freshman Year - 4th Place

Sophmore Year -  Lost 1st Round

Junior Year - Runner-Up

Senior Year - 3rd Place

Jeff Pease from Muncie Southside in the late 80's was a monster.  He got hosed on an illegal slam call at semi-state his junior year and had to come back from a broken ankle his senior year.  ( I think those facts are correct)  Watched him dismatle guys an Junior Nationals.  I don't remember anyone coming close to him.

you beat me to it....

My assistant coach from high school Bobby Johnson from Wes-Del should be of mention.  Some of you from the late 80's may remember him, he was the "KING" of a left-handed side headlock.  Had many battles with Randall Hayes from Delta.  Johnson lost his Junior year in the semi's to Brad Traviolia from Wawasee (state champ that year), and then Paul Voigt his senior year 8-6, which he beat Voigt the weak before at semi-state.  Coached me my junior and senior year in high school, which was a blessing!! Now resides in Georgia and still involved with wrestling with his son who also has a vicious side headlock....must be the genetics.  

I would have to go with Atwood!! Loved the kid and he is a beast!!

Atwood definitely gets my vote for most graceful loss I have seen.  After his match with Johnson-Jones, it would have been easy (and probably accepted) for him to take some time to make the match about his loss instead of his opponent's victory.  Braden chose to shake Johnson Jones's hand, look him in the eye and walk off with his head up.  Didn't even do the slow-get-up thing after the match was over.  Most impressive thing I saw in the tournament last year hands down.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.