Campbellsville University Wrestling

The top wrestlers in Indiana should look into Campbellsville University. This University is about 3 hours south of Indianapolis. The wrestling team finished 4th at National Duels this year, they won the Ohio Northern Invitation the past 2 years and they finished 4th at the Midwest Classic this year. Wrestling Scholarships are available. Several Indiana boys on the roster now and doing well. Matt Milton from Center Grove, Caleb Browner from Jeffersonville, Quinten Brooks from Lawrence to name a few. A link to school website here: www.campbellsville.edu  you can also check them out on facebook by joining the Campbellsville Wrestling Group. 

Cville loses close match to #1 and defending National Champ Notre Dame. Matt Milton drops a 7-5 loss to Missouri Transfer and #2 ranked Ashtin Primus. Notre Dame takes injury time in just about every match. Definitetly don't want my son wrestling for a team that wins like that. It will catch up to them eventually....Again the Campbellsville progam is very impressive and I encourage any top notch Indiana wrestlers to consider this program.

• 2 weeks later...

Indiana state placer Jeremiah Oliver wrestled his first college tournament at the Greyhound open this weekend. The 157 pound bracket was a tough weight. Results are here:

http://athletics.uindy.edu/documents/2011/2/6/finalgopen.PDF?id=1273     

Even though IU and U of I and others tough teams are at this tournament these brackets are dominated by NAIA wrestlers. Very impressive.....Is it the schools, scholarships, coaches? Of the 10 weight classes 7 are won by an NAIA wrestler. The 3 weights that are won by a Non NAIA wrestler 149,157,165 all had an NAIA guy get 2nd.

2 NAIA schools in particular that had very good showings were Notre Dame College and McKendree. McKendree is moving up to DII. Nobody ever said these NAIA kids could not wrestle, I think the main difference is cost and the academic requirements to get into NAIA are alot lower.

I just looked at several division II and NAIA websites. It looks like the cost of attendance is about the same as well as the admissions standards to the schools. Looks like most of the NCAA II schools and the NAIA schools cost between 25,000 to 30,000 per year and the admissions standards are similar. Seems like the NAIA wrestling programs are supported more by the schools. I've heard the coaches get paid more in NAIA and they give more scholarships. Indiana tech, wayland baptist, ave maria, shorter college, bethany college and calumet have all recently added wrestling in the NAIA. If they keep adding and others keep dropping.......NAIA could be the future of college wrestling. Not sure if its good or bad that Notre Dame and Mckendree are moving down to Division II.

Those are some expensive schools. Our schools for out of state students costs about $17,500 to be full-time with room and board included!

I have coached NAIA and now I coach D2. The NAIA coaches, in general, certainly do not get paid more than D2 coaches. NAIA doesn't necessarily give more scholarships either. It's really dependent on the school. Some D2 schools have 2 or less scholarships to offer. Some have 7+ to offer. Some NAIA schools have no money at all to offer, some have over $100,000 to divy up amongst athletes.