ALEX OR JASON TSIRTIS

Fun question!

Very different styles. I think Jason might be a little more polished at the same point in his development. Though Alex had more technique and had more flashy athleticism, Jasons a little bigger and very different body. On their feet I'd have to give it to Alex and I think that might be the deciding factor.

I'll tell you what. It's allot of fun watching them wrestle live now. As tough as Jason is you can tell the very instant Alex turns it up.

Good stuff!

Well having the honor to coach both during summer trips and having coach Alex in high school and coach against Jason in high school, I would have to say that Alex wins by 5.  Jason is a bit quicker but Alex was stronger and stubborn when it came to takedowns.  On the mat Alex would be able to turn Jason but I think Jason would not be able to turn Alex. Just my opinion on what would happen if they wrestled as high school juniors.

That would be a fun match to watch.  Both Juniors in high school, Alex was better on their feet IMO.  Jason is better on bottom and on top.  I don't think Alex would take down in this match.  Alex wins 2-1 with a late takedown.  Two of the best all time high school wrestlers in Indiana.

Why are you saying that Alex had a better high school career? 

I mean Jason lost to a guy who ended up an All-America as a true freshman and beat him when it mattered most, the guy is the #1 ranked guy in his weight as a junior and won flonationals last year.

Why are you saying that Alex had a better high school career? 

I mean Jason lost to a guy who ended up an All-America as a true freshman and beat him when it mattered most, the guy is the #1 ranked guy in his weight as a junior and won flonationals last year.

Yes, i mean High school as in he went undefeated and was a 4 time state champ.  Jason lost twice to Cashe and once to Napules.  Both those guys are state champs but Jason still lost.

As far as freestyle goes, I have no idea. 

Was there anyone as tough as Quiroga in Alex's weight class his freshman year?

Hector Mendez and Clint Palmore were pretty tough.  Both ended up winning a state title the following year with Palmore beating Coughlin in the finals.  As far as freestyle goes I'm pretty sure J Jaggers and one of the Tirapelle boys were in Alex's weight at nationals.  Not to diminish what Jason has done at nationals but those two would end up being a National Champion and All-American respectively.

Schlatter and Lang were 2 especially tough guys that come to mind that Alex had to wrestle in freestyle.  National champ and runner up, multiple AA's between them.  I am sure there are others...

Time will tell how the guys that Jason was/will wrestle will do in college. 

Schlatter and Lang were 2 especially tough guys that come to mind that Alex had to wrestle in freestyle.  National champ and runner up, multiple AA's between them.  I am sure there are others...

Time will tell how the guys that Jason was/will wrestle will do in college. 

Metcalf

I always thought, even into college, that Alex was too passive when he wrestled guys at his own level.  Even back to his sophomore year in high school when Weinzapfel put him on his back, he backed way off the rest of the match despite being much stronger on his feet.  I don't see the same thing in Jason--I really think he has the potential to have a more successful college career because of it. 

The record speaks for itself. What you are getting at is called a tautology. If Alex wins, he didn?t have as difficult of competition. However if he loses, he had tougher competition. The fact that he beat his competition is the very reason the completion looks to be lesser. Had Jason beat Cashe, you may not have the same opinion of Cashe, thus level  of completion.

..As far as IU, they have produced 3 NCAA Championships in the lower weight in the past several years. I wouldn?t discount them.

The record speaks for itself. What you are getting at is called a tautology. If Alex wins, he didn?t have as difficult of competition. However if he loses, he had tougher competition. The fact that he beat his competition is the very reason the completion looks to be lesser. Had Jason beat Cashe, you may not have the same opinion of Cashe, thus level  of completion.

..As far as IU, they have produced 3 NCAA Championships in the lower weight in the past several years. I wouldn?t discount them.

To a point I agree with you about the psychological biases that come into trying to put accomplishments into context.  But we have all the national tournaments and outlying data to support the fact that Jason wrestled a couple opponents early on (Wright and Cashe) that Alex didn't have to face.  In my opinion, beating a Fargo national champ as a freshman and reaching a number 1 national ranking now--despite the 2 losses--pushes Jason slightly in front of where Alex was at this point in his career. 

I will say, though, that if we're analyzing only in-state performance; the loss to Napules is definitely a blemish.  He was very tough and would have won state many years in the past against different competition--but Alex definitely faced guys of Napules' caliber his first 2 years and didn't slip up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.