WINNING AT ALL COST!

brian103

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm still baffled by the anger and slander directed at the coaches here when there haven't been at any of those other schools. I know the coaches and they are fantastic people and coaches, I would never question their ethics. I don't personally know the others but I doubt there's concern there either. Yeah, a kid moved, let's get on with our lives and take a moment to calm down.

Yes.  And if I didn't, I could Google it.

I see that my "Cool Points" have plummeted since I disagreed with the Triumvurite and the rest of the Central Committee.

Good Morning Comrades.

You forgot to google first. I am an army of "ONE". Triumvirates refers to council of three. Hence "Tri". It is a discussion. I will try to be civil.

Respectfully Oscar

For years Mater Dei got accused of recruiting and cheating all the time.

It Is LEGAL for private schools to advertise themselves, usually for acedemic prowess, giving them a much broader geographical area to draw from. Is it fair? You tell me. Just LEGAL!

let's get on with our lives and take a moment to calm down.

I am calmer than you are!  

So really, a kid moves to a new school, he is of high caliber, wants to be on the team, can beat out the kid in the weight class, gets approved by the governing body and the previous school signs off...  and you think that the coach should deny him the right to participate?  My guess is people would then bash the coaching staff for not allowing the kid the oppourtunity.  Am I wrong!!

I myself dabbled in transferring once, not in Nam of course, all I know is that 140 pounder really ties the team together...does he not!!!  

wow.....alot of allegations here......why isn't the yorktown coach weighing in on this and explaining his actions so everyones knows what's what?......and i hope he doesn't just come on and say it's nobody's business......because if in fact nothing was done wrong, he should want to set the record straight in my opinion.....

I guess I'm still baffled by the anger and slander directed at the coaches here when there haven't been at any of those other schools. I know the coaches and they are fantastic people and coaches, I would never question their ethics. I don't personally know the others but I doubt there's concern there either. Yeah, a kid moved, let's get on with our lives and take a moment to calm down.

Questioning the ethics of someone in this case would probably not be considered slander or libel.  There appear to be enough KNOWN facts in this case to safely call into questions the ethics involved without it becoming libelous.

I have seen more disappointment expressed than anger but that could be my reading and open to interpretation.

Y2 and I both mentioned that there were plenty of examples of people questioning the ethics of both the Crown Point and Mishawaka programs.  Do you think we were lying about that?  Ask Darrick Snyder if his ethics have ever been questioned if you don't believe us.

Questioning the ethics of someone in this case would probably not be considered slander or libel.  There appear to be enough KNOWN facts in this case to safely call into questions the ethics involved without it becoming libelous.

I have seen more disappointment expressed than anger but that could be my reading and open to interpretation.

Y2 and I both mentioned that there were plenty of examples of people questioning the ethics of both the Crown Point and Mishawaka programs.  Do you think we were lying about that?  Ask Darrick Snyder if his ethics have ever been questioned if you don't believe us.

I certainly believe you, I just don't recall it being this hot on the board. Makes me glad I'm not in high schools any more, now that the state is making every school recruit to keep funding this will get even worse.

I certainly believe you, I just don't recall it being this hot on the board. Makes me glad I'm not in high schools any more, now that the state is making every school recruit to keep funding this will get even worse.

The timing of this particular transfer might account for the heat level but the Reinohl situation got very hot, very fast.

I guess it was long enough ago that I've forgotten. I forgot to say it before, but if I came off sounding like I didn't believe you I'm sorry. This must be the hot issue of the year, wonder what next year's will be. Predictions? Should we create betting pools?

I guess it was long enough ago that I've forgotten. I forgot to say it before, but if I came off sounding like I didn't believe you I'm sorry. This must be the hot issue of the year, wonder what next year's will be. Predictions? Should we create betting pools?

What is done is done, legal or illegal, right or wrong. Who is going to fight this? Its State time!!!!!!!

I'm guessing we will have coaches watching matches from other sectionals on their androids while in the corner.

Hate to break it to you, this happens already. Almost every big meet I've been to I've seen plain clothed coaches from other schools at with phones out and scouting.

3.5 more weeks until Conseco! Anyone else have Vision Quest on permanent replay at home?

Can you imagine the uproar if the kid from Franklin would have transferred to Mater Dei, Cathedral or Roncalli?  There would be a riot at IHSAA's office and call for a second tournament for the "cheating" private or parochial high schools.  There would be articles in the local paper.

It's amazing to me how little scrutiny the successful public schools get when it comes to attracting "students" from other districts (i.e. Lawrence North - basketball, Warren Central - football 2000's, Ben Davis - football 1990's, Carmel - girl's swimming, etc., etc.).  I'm glad to see some attention paid to this matter.

Its like what Liam did, he recruited that guy to be on his team and man he could roll..... 8 year olds dude!!

Those guys at the league office still messed up the schedule.  We still rolled our way into the semis and then beat Liam and his "ringer" 

Seriously, all the movie quotes are freaking me out and getting old.

The Dude abides.

I have always thought a forum was designed to be a marketplace for ideas.  It appears that, yet again, some are misusing the message board in search of the truth.  Unfortunately, our insatiable appetite for information does not entitle us to the truth.  Save myself and tkdwn2, I am almost certain most others who have shared information here don?t know all the facts in this case.  And frankly, it?s not anyone else?s business.  I sleep well knowing this is far less about wrestling and more about what is both right and fair to a 17-year-old young man.

We have always played fast and loose with the truth on this message board.  My own son, if only by innuendo, has also been included in these inane recruiting accusations.  The simple truth is we selected Yorktown High School for purely academic reasons (i.e. Newsweek?s 2010 Best High Schools).  Because my son happens to be a talented wrestler, everyone assumes he was recruited.  The reality is that he is a far better student than wrestler.  We left a school district with a 57 percent graduation rate, and have lived in the same home for over 20 years.  We also live half again closer to Yorktown High School than our home district?s high school option.  The educational opportunities at Yorktown are unparalleled in East Central Indiana.  That?s not recruitment folks, that's just plain good sense.

I have labored for 25 years in a profession where I am expected to solve other people?s problems, and the only truism I can offer is that there are always two sides to the story, and that is certainly the case here.  

I respect the Yorktown coaching staff even less for this incident.  Last year before team state, one of Yorktown's wrestlers (one of their "studs" nonetheless) got in trouble at school but still wrestled at Team State and helped them to a State Runner-Up finish.  The word on the street is that this is not the Franklin wrestlers first offense so his suspension would be for 365 days for a second offense.  Even if this kid shows up on your doorstep from another school, you KNOW the reason he is there.  Have some morals and ethics and do the right thing.  

I was going to mention the "Homegrown" t-shirts but someone already referenced it.  That was the first thing I thought of when I started reading this thread.  

GO YORKTOWN!!  I hope they are behind by two heading into the 140 pound match at team state and this kid wins... and they win.  Great coaches develop talent, and these coaches have developed talent in their area for years, some of them have went to other schools and won and made those coaches look good, when in reality it was the work that the wrestlers did at the Yorktown club that resulted in them winning state championships.  Say what you want, coaches have benefitted from the hard work and dedication that Y0rktown coaches have done.  So big deal, the kid is there, he is wrestling get over it and worry about the things you can actually control, like dedicating yourself to developing kids year round. 

worry about the things you can actually control, like dedicating yourself to developing kids year round. 

And if you can't try to recruit frim Jay County and if he can't come look somewhere else! Keep looking until you find one who fits and have them move the last half of their senior year for better academic opportunities ::)

I respect the Yorktown coaching staff even less for this incident.  Last year before team state, one of Yorktown's wrestlers (one of their "studs" nonetheless) got in trouble at school but still wrestled at Team State and helped them to a State Runner-Up finish.  The word on the street is that this is not the Franklin wrestlers first offense so his suspension would be for 365 days for a second offense.  Even if this kid shows up on your doorstep from another school, you KNOW the reason he is there.  Have some morals and ethics and do the right thing.  

I was going to mention the "Homegrown" t-shirts but someone already referenced it.  That was the first thing I thought of when I started reading this thread.  

I love how some people just apparently do not read any of the previous posts. It has been stated that he served his suspension at his previous school and he would have been eligible to wrestle there if he decided to stay.  His previous school signed off on this situation and the sports governing body signed off.  I agree with others, if I was the coach in this situation I would have a wrestle off and the winner would represent my team at sectionals.  Everybody that is harping about him being suspened earlier in the year, so what he is a kid that made a mistake and has paid for it with most of his senior season.  He paid the consequences and now he is free to go on with his senior season.

I have always thought a forum was designed to be a marketplace for ideas.  It appears that, yet again, some are misusing the message board in search of the truth.  Unfortunately, our insatiable appetite for information does not entitle us to the truth.  Save myself and tkdwn2, I am almost certain most others who have shared information here don?t know all the facts in this case.  And frankly, it?s not anyone else?s business.  I sleep well knowing this is far less about wrestling and more about what is both right and fair to a 17-year-old young man.

We have always played fast and loose with the truth on this message board.  My own son, if only by innuendo, has also been included in these inane recruiting accusations.  The simple truth is we selected Yorktown High School for purely academic reasons (i.e. Newsweek?s 2010 Best High Schools).  Because my son happens to be a talented wrestler, everyone assumes he was recruited.  The reality is that he is a far better student than wrestler.  We left a school district with a 57 percent graduation rate, and have lived in the same home for over 20 years.  We also live half again closer to Yorktown High School than our home district?s high school option.  The educational opportunities at Yorktown are unparalleled in East Central Indiana.  That?s not recruitment folks, that's just plain good sense.

I have labored for 25 years in a profession where I am expected to solve other people?s problems, and the only truism I can offer is that there are always two sides to the story, and that is certainly the case here. 

While I understand your frustrations with allegations of recruiting in your case, your example is hardly analogous to a mid season transfer at a weight class where a previous transfer was denied.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.