Top Posters In This Topic

Coach McCormick

IHSWCA Board Members

Semi-State Qualifier

Cool Points: 10

[wahoo] [boo]

Re: Team State Debate

? Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 04:39:01 PM ? Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I certainly agree with most everything that has been brought up on this thread regarding Team State.  The reality is that the IHSAA has already made up their mind.  I base this comment on conversations I have had with administrators who have recently attended IHSAA regional meetings across Indiana.  The IHSAA has handed out a spread sheet which documents the decline in revenue (and interest) in our Team State format.  The last e-mail that I saw from the IHSAA several days ago said, "2010-11 will be the last year for the Team State.  The new format will go into affect 2011-12."

There are several variables that must be considered on this topic, and I don't think we will ever get all parties involved to agree on one solution.  I truly believe that if the Team State Duals series were "classed"; we would see an explosion of excitement, increased revenue and increased interest in our duals series.  As mentioned in another post, the current Team State series is really a race between about 6 schools year in and year out.  All you need to do is look at the results since the inception of this event to support this statement.  Again, as mentioned earlier, someone said, "the same set of schools vie for the 5A football title every year."  The difference is that there are 4 other classes where there is tremendous excitement and many, many schools get a shot at winning the 1A, 2A, 3A and 4A football titles each year. The classed football system works as it offers hope and equitable opportunity for schools of all sizes across our state.

There are a number of other variables that will impact our sport in the near future.  Things such as increased budget cuts, more lay coaches, the cutting of middle school wrestling programs are just a few that come to mind.  I am not going to say that any one person is wrong for the way they feel about our post season structure.  I see some value in everyone's comments.  I, personally, have seen this topic from many angles too.  I was part of Delta's 1985 team state title when we won it with 3 placers (a 1st, 3rd and 4th).  I have been a varsity coach for 22 years with 18 of those as a lay coach.  I, and my coaching staff, work 365 days a year to keep our dreams alive of winning a team title some day.  Wrestling in the Team State finals was a great experience this past season, but with 700 students in our school, I can tell you right up front that achieving this feat on a regular basis will be difficult as we just don't have the numbers to "reload" every year like bigger schools.

In the end the tournament is "owned" by the IHSAA.  They don't seem to care what those in the trenches have to say on the matter.  I wish our state AD association would step up and take more of a stand on issues of this nature, but it seems to me that the IHSAA has a "checks and balances" system that, let's just say, favors the IHSAA's decisions at the end of every meeting.

I have had some great conversations of late with coaches about other "controllables" in our sport.  I would also like to point out that Cale Hoover has done a nice job of walking the tight rope with regard to the IHSAA during his tenure as president of the IHSWCA.  He is not to blame for the direction in which our post season tournament is headed.  The IHSWCA officers have made presentations and suggestions to the IHSAA, but again, in the end the IHSAA has the final say so.  As the next president of our coaches' association, I plan to focus on the "controllables" in an attempt to strengthen wrestling in Indiana as a whole.

Coaches, watch sending your wrestlers to the Prime Time Wrestling camp ???. They might not return. :o

This cracks me up..I really did not know that we were in China. PARENTS SEND THEIR KIDS OFF TO TRAIN FOR WRESTLING AT THE HIGH SCHOOL THEY HAVE BEEN TOLD TO GO TO BY THE GOVERNMENT!!!

I thought parents  in America get to make the decisions for their kids and that they should have the opportunity to go wherever they want!!!!!

John Wayne would have just shot this horse and walked across the country......How long can you just beat a dead horse???

I have been reading this thread for a few days and feel for both Yorktown and Franklin people and I am sure that none of them expected anything like this.  Everything will probably work itself out in the end and there might be some broken hearts but in the end, all will be mended.

Heck, when my grandson's coach came out of the wrestling room last night and told me and his Mom that he called his friend a bitch during practice his mom went to get the soap (and I laughed) the coach said wait a moment, I already took care of that.....Now my grandson knows how to do push ups and run laps....at 4 years old.....

I for one, hate to hear all of this stuff especially when it involves the kids.  Kids make mistakes.  We all have and they will continue to do so....This thread has taken all of our love, hatred, team and whatever else you could take out of this great sport and turned it into a melting pot....and it should not be happening no matter what is going on.  I am quite sure that neither family or school deserve any of this for whatever reason this has happened.  I have had the luxury of standing next to Yorktowns Mr. Mosier and Franklin's Mr. Van Horn when their kids beat my nephew at regionals and folkstyle state and have had no regrets.  My nephew is making the Dean's list at Wabash now....

What we should be doing is looking at the great things that are going on right now like Indiana has Sarah Hildebrant and Kylya Miricle seeded in the sectionals and a shot at making it to State....and who knows how much further they can go for our great state.....I think that this is a much greater story than any other one that we could put on here.

As far as my grandson goes.......Poor little guy still got the soap in his mouth but I couldn't help to laugh as he was crying.....

• 3 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.