Chief Justice Roberts= Regional Champ?

decbell1

While doing a little research on our Supreme Court Chief Justice, I ran across the fact that he was a Regional Champion at La Lumiere academy in LaPorte. He was born in 1955.

Anybody remember him or know anything more about his career or the La Lumiere program in general?

While doing a little research on our Supreme Court Chief Justice, I ran across the fact that he was a Regional Champion at La Lumiere academy in LaPorte. He was born in 1955.

Anybody remember him or know anything more about his career or the La Lumiere program in general?

I knew he was from Indiana but didn't know he wrestled.  Good guy, I normally agree with his rulings.

If he was born in 1955, he would have graduated in '73 or '74, right?  Back then, there were 8 regionals and the regional champ qualified for state.  I skimmed through TAE's book and don't find anyone named Roberts or a wrestler from La Lumiere listed.  One or the other source is wrong?

from an article in the South Bend Tribune:

In addition to theater, Roberts also competed on the wrestling team at the prep school and approached the sport ?in a cerebral way,? said Coppens, who remembered that while Roberts may not have been the strongest kid, he was always smarter than his opponent. Roberts compiled a 24-3 record during his junior and senior years, going 12-1 as a senior.

?He knew exactly how he could get in trouble and avoided all of those possibilities,? Coppens said. ?He tried to make the other wrestler wrestle the way he wanted him to wrestle."

Not sure about the regional champ.  Athletic participation is mandatory at LaLumiere.  Sadly, I do not think they have a wrestling program at this time.

Not sure about the regional champ.  Athletic participation is mandatory at LaLumiere.  Sadly, I do not think they have a wrestling program at this time.

I checked their website, and they do not currently have a team. I did see Hockey and Winter Lacrosse along with Basketball as their winter sports. They do have football though.

I checked their website, and they do not currently have a team. I did see Hockey and Winter Lacrosse along with Basketball as their winter sports. They do have football though.

They have about 8 Div. 1 basketball players on their roster.

La Lumiere (near LaPorte) had wrestling until around 1987-ish.  Their coach left and I think the program just ended with a whimper and no one said anything.  I remember going there in the 70s to watch my older brother wrestle.  I wrestled twice at La Lumiere in '83 & '85 against them in a dual meet.  We beat them 72-0 in '83 and 78-0 in '85; they were terrible.  

I can't say anything about Justice Roberts and his wrestling.  However, if he was a regional champ then he would have qualified for state under the old, old format. And yet he is not in any state book I have seen.  

Had to do a paper on him for a class about a year ago. Also read that he was a regional champ. Thought it was pretty neat to be able to say I did something he did! Will TAE please help us all and set the facts straight! lol

Had to do a paper on him for a class about a year ago. Also read that he was a regional champ. Thought it was pretty neat to be able to say I did something he did! Will TAE please help us all and set the facts straight! lol

My only thought is that in some other states the regional level is the lowest level of state competition (i.e. in Illinois Regional-Sectional-Super Sectional-State).

I am wondering if he wasn't just a sectional champ and they are just calling him a regional champ instead because that would be a more familiar term to some people.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.