Biggest wins by less heralded Indiana wrestlers

Dingo Brigade

I was thinking of some of the biggest upsets by Indiana wrestlers performing on national stages. This is for guys NOT like Andrew Howe, Escobedo, Tsirtsis, etc., where huge wins over highly ranked opponents are the norm.

Off the top of my head....

A freshman Alex Dolly 3-2 over future NCAA champion Shane Webster of the University of Oregon.

Danny Coyne pinning PA's Matt Kyler (later an AA at Army) at Sr. Nationals. Kyler would end up winning the tournament and Coyne just missed placing.

Ryan Stahl pinning uber-recruit Destin McCauley of MN at Jr. Nationals.

Blake Kenney beating #1 ranked Brandon Precin of IL in the IN/IL match.

Josh Kieffer over very highly ranked Blair stud Caleb Richardson at Scholastic Duals.

That's just to get things started....I'm missing a ton of 'em. Throw some out here.

Ryan Stahl pinning uber-recruit Destin McCauley of MN at Jr. Nationals.

I remember watching this match and was talking to a Northern Illinois assistant about the top kids out of Indiana.  I said, this kid coming up right there is pretty good.  After Stahl pinned McCauley, he said "I like that kid!"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.