coaching question.....

sneaker

what ever happened to coach strader? i always liked him and he produced good teams and individuals.

I also think he still has his little lake house on Princess lake John & Zack, and Marsha still comes back and works the spring State Freestyle & Greco tournaments.

Bob Jarrett who coached at Western, Clinton Central, Western (again), and now Eastern.

One of the greatest coaches I have ever known.

Coached many State Champs.

I believe 17 Mid-Indiana Conference championships, 13 sectionals, 6 regionals and 1 semistate championship in 23(ish) years at Western HS. Then his first year out of retirement wins another sectional at Eastern. Something like 54 state qualifiers and 3 state champs under him. And never wrestled a day in his life...

Joe Burvan from Rensselaer Central.  He started the wrestling program in 1970 and won many tournaments, conference and sectional titles until he passed away in 1995.  Also was inducted in the IHSWCA Coaching Hall of Fame in 1996. 

one has to wonder how they studied the sport in which they never participated in and became so successful. so how did they do it? i would imagine they were at every clinic and on and off season wrestling events to hone their skills as coaches of winning wrestlers and winning teams. that is a lot of work but  to me it looks like it paid off to these guys. kudos to coaches who have never wrestled yet became very good at coaching and molding disciplined young men into champions.

Don Patton was the coach from Delta who won all those state championships.  Heard him speak on a panel at a coach's clinic once.  Said he never wrestled a day in his life.  Worked at a gas station all through high school.  Said the secret to being a good head coach was to surround yourself with good, knowledgable people.

great answer it was fun competing with the delta boys back in the day. coach patton was a great guy and very friendly also like macnamara from b.grove always spoke nice to me and treated me pretty good. however i remember being a grade schooler and went to a clinic and pete was showing moves and wrestling with his partner. sure looked to me that he had wrestled before.really doesnt matter they were both great guys to be around.

Zach I believe you are correct... I don't think Coach ever wrestled in high school or anything. He might have started wrestling in college or something like that. Coach still lives here in Indiana (south of Indianapolis) but goes to Florida every winter to live the good live while we are shoveling snow. He is usually around for the first part of the season (he comes to a few of our dual meets) before he heads south.

It's true that "Mac" never competed in high school but I do know he wrestled some in college. These guys that never wrestled just became students of the sport and were involved in everything. I know both Coach Strader and Mac were involved with Freestyle and Greco (the best styles of wrestling) for as long as I can remember. Both were coaches for Team Indiana for many years.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.