Rules on knee braces

ENoblewrestling

What are the exact rules on knee braces? I know over the years I've seen some rather large ones and am I just wondering what makes them illegal or not.

Also does anyone know a company that produces large, good, protective ones that are legal, and where they can be purchased. Thanks

We have gotten both ACL and MCL braces from our orthopedic surgeon.  What kind of brace do you need?

I actually learned this weekend from first hand experience that if there are any holes in it big enough for a finger to get in, it is an automatic penalty point for the other wrestler. To the wrestlers with their old, lucky, worn out knee pads, beware. PS: the big Brute knee pads are my fav.

What are the exact rules on knee braces? I know over the years I've seen some rather large ones and am I just wondering what makes them illegal or not.

Rule 3-1-5

The legality of all equipment, including mats, markings, uniforms and special equipment, pads and taping, shall be decided by the referee. A referee's time-out shall be declared for the purpose of correcting legal equipment which becomes illegal or inoperative through use.

Rule 4-3-1

Special equipment is defined as any equipment worn that is not required by rule. Any equipment which does not permit normal movement of the joints and which prevents one's opponent from applying normal holds/maneuvers shall not be permitted. Any equipment which is hard and/or abrasive must be covered and padded. Electronic communication equipment that permits communication between coach and contestant during competition is not permitted. Special equipment includes, but is not limited to: hair coverings, face masks, braces, supports, eye protection and socks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.