Indianapolis Public Schools Administrative Debacle and Civil Disobedience

Mark Mendoza

As I understand it Officials have told Coach Mendoza that they would penalize, and start injury time, if a wrestler showed up on the mat in some other singlet than Tech's because it would not be school issued, and that the Coach is not the issuer of equipment.

I believe they are wrong, but I also believe that the IHSAA would do anything possible to discourage protests.  The intent of the rule that says a wrestler will wear school issued equipment is to prevent some of the idiotic behavior that could happen if a wrestler could wear any singlet they wished.  You can imagine kids coming out in singlets with big "ADs" on them or Heavy Metal logos and so on....the crazy stuff could be endless.

I do question anyone who says the coach is not a school representative (equipment issuer).  As a coach I am the one that is held responsible if the equipment is not properly taken care of so I would say I am the school's designated representative to issue equipment.  I would imagine my AD, and Principal, would agree with me.  If I failed to issue the proper equipment I would be subject to their scrutiny,

I think an Official can make a determination if a singlet is legal according to the rules, but how can he know if the singlet was issued by the school...He cannot.  Who does he ask other than the coach?  Isn't the coach the one who is ask if wrestlers are properly equiped.  Maybe the IHSAA should require that an administrator from each school be present to insure that the right equipment has been issued.  He could report what he felt was a violation of the rules to the IHSAA for them to investigate.  I think it would be similar to violations of the Weight Control Plan.  The Official is not responsible for making sure an athlete is following the Plan. Just like he has no idea who issued a singlet he has no idea whether a wrestler is following the Plan.

I also could document (with video tape) more than one instance where a wrestler has worn a singlet from another school without penalty.  Does this ruling mean that if a kid forgets his singlet, or it is stolen, he will be disqualified if a school administrator is not there to okay him borrowing another one from another school if need be?  Does it mean that even with administratvie approval a wrestler could not compete in another schools singlet in an emergency?

I also have known some coaches to purchase new singlets for their State Qualifies.  If those singlets were not issued by the school would that make them illegal?  I also have loaned equipment to other wrestlers when they have forgotten to bring them to a meet.  I agree with wearing them insideout.  That shows you are making a statement about the treatment form your school.  Coach Mendoza you have done an EXCELLENT job of building the Tech program.  Do not let let the adminsitration take away form that.  Your team is full of good wrestlers that will follow their coach and do what ever he asks of them.  I am glad to see the state support your program as they have done.  It also looks like a large number of Tech supporters have voiced their opinions on the Star website.  What ever you decide to do, do it with gusto.  Look forward to seeing you at Semi-State.

Coach Mendoza:

I would just like to Thank You, for what you have done. Hopefully others going through these same types of struggles will gain knowledge on how to solve their issues. I feel you did the right thing for yourself, your wrestlers, Tipton wrestlers, as well as all wrestlers throughout the state and Nation. Wrestling does not recieve the respect it should. As the majority of us in the wrestling community have felt this at some time or another. A school can have a sub .500 basketball team and and a wrestling team that goes to state, and we know who will recieve the publicity and glamour. Thats fine if thats the way it is we can deal with that. However what the school system did to your team as well as Tipton was absurd, and totally unprofessional. Once again I thank you for doing what you had to do. Best of Luck to your Wrestlers throughout the season, I have a feeling they are going to do very well.

Words cannot even describe how screw up this is. The one thing that really gets me is the fact that the bus was for the cheerleaders! They are definitely not the ones competing at the basketball game, and I would bet there was room on the bus with the basketball players. The AD totally dropped the ball on this one. Coach Mendoza, keep up the good work. If Tech doesn't want you anymore, then there will be several schools throughout the state that would love to have you in their wrestling room. Keep up the good work and as someone said earlier in this post, don't let this fade away!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.