Indianapolis Public Schools Administrative Debacle and Civil Disobedience

Mark Mendoza

Tonight easily ranks among my most embarrassing moments as a coach and a man.  We (Arsenal Tech) were supposed to wrestle Tipton tonight for their senior night.  Weigh-ins were supposed to be at 5:30.  However, our administration made a decision to cancel the meet at 5:15.

I am certainly aware that there could be a reason for canceling a meet at the last second: weather, an emergency that adversely affects the team, or maybe even a bus breakdown or something.  On the other hand, the reason that our administration used was that ?all of our buses were being used for the boy?s city basketball tournament.? 

I could understand if we were a rural district with few resources (buses and drivers) but we aren?t.  We (Indianapolis Public Schools) literally have hundreds of buses and even more drivers.  Even more frustrating is the fact that we had an empty bus sitting in our parking lot for over an hour.  That bus was designated for the basketball cheerleaders.

If this was an isolated incident I could dismiss it as an egregious error, apologize to Tipton, and move on.  But this isn?t an isolated incident.  Along with many wrestling programs in Indiana, we are frequently neglected.  One example is that our administration has yet to offer any congratulations or recognition to any of our wrestlers during my tenure at the school.  Now, I understand that we do not experience the success of an elite program but we consistently have wrestlers at Semi-State and last year we managed to send one to Conseco.

In a district plagued with tragedy and failure, you would think IPS officials would highlight and celebrate our successes.  In terms of wrestling, IPS does not and tonight the neglect penalized the members of another school, their coaches, and their families. 

To the members of the Tipton wrestling team and to anyone who is associated with the Tipton program, the Arsenal Tech wrestling team is sincerely sorry for the decision that was made and for all of the inconvenience and frustration you felt on what was supposed to be a great night: your 2010-2011 senior night.

Frankly, we have no desire to represent those who do not care about us.  As a result of the lack of support we have experienced, we hope to practice a bit of Civil Disobedience.  So, in the name of Henry David Thoreau and Martin Luther King Jr. I am asking the Indiana wrestling community to help us out.  I am asking any team with extra singlets to allow us to borrow a few.  We would rather wear someone else?s colors or even freestyle singlets than wear something to represent those who don?t value their sports equally.

If you have one or two we can borrow please email me @ mendozam@ips.k12.in.us

Mark Mendoza

You have done a wonderful job for the Tech program.  Both your wrestlers and Tiptons (especially the Seniors) do not deserve to be treated in this manor. I have my own complaints about administrative decisions when it comes to how the wrestling team and wrestling room is treated but this is a whole new level of bad decision making.  This is truly a low for the IPS administration and a sad moment for the sport.

Not sure if it will do any good, but I just posted alink to this topic on my facebook page. I have alot of wrestling people on there lets see if we can get this coach and his wrestlers wearing some proper gear.

Just a quick note to Coach Mendoza and his wrestlers, on behalf of the Tipton wrestling program.  Yes! We were very  disappointed in not being able to wrestle your team for our senior night this evening.  We put forth a great deal of effort, in bad weather, last year getting to your gym to be sure your seniors were honored for their dedication to this great sport.    We would have expected a little more effort from your administration for our team this year.

We understand that this decision was not made by your coaching staff or team and have no hard feelings toward you and your kids.  I am very displeased with your Athletic Director for this situation.

As wrestlers do, we adjusted and held an intra-squad match and recognized our seniors in front of our fans.  Obviously, we would have much rather competed against the Titans in our gym, in a true dual match. 

Please do not do anything that will limit your ability to continue coaching the Titan program.  I know you did everything in your power to make this match happen, but it was beyond your control.  We wish you the best of luck for the balance of the season.  Thanks for your effort this evening. 

Cal Warner

Just an opinion.....

This is just another example of our politics....The administration is more concerned in what brings more money in and their future  than doing the right thing for their voters and students.  Your school and IPS administrators should be ashamed of their decision to do what they did and we wonder why Marion County and other inner city schools have problems with enrollment and other things.  Hell, I live out here in Hendricks County and it seems to be a blessing if a Principle or an AD shows up to a Conference Tourney....Like they had to go out of their way just to make an appearance.  You higher level a..holes need to get your head out of your a.. and support the kids and coaches that go out of their way to support your income and security....I for one would have volunteered to take a car full of them kids to Tipton but then God forbid we couldn't have that happen....Not insured by the system.....

These kids and coaches sacrifice their time, sweat, dedication and effort to support your school with pride then you crap on them.  How about you elected officials doing the same for your kids and coaches.

Coach Mendoza, you have done a wonderful job with your program and I hope that everything works out for you and your kids.  You for one are welcome in my foxhole in any battle.

Keep up the great work with your kids.  We are all rooting for you.

IPS.................Get your s**t together

Just and opinion again......Not all AD's and Administrators are bad people but Good God, put the kids first.....

This was total BS I can't understand why if you can't provide a bus why the athletes can't find alternate transportation.I know our wrestling program has a strong parent following so whats the difference if a kid rides to the meet and back with his parents than if they go anywhere else together.Last night Union County wrestled Franklin County both teams had 2 forfeits.So now we are talking about 12 wrestlers say out of those 12 10 parents show now we only need special permission for 2.In a case such as this instead of making the away school suffer on senior night you leave your JVers at home if it is an issue.I think if it was me coach I would get the parents of the affected kids involved along with you and your coaching staff get a good attorney and sue the IPS for discrimination.I think you would have a very strong case.Even if you don't win they will have to go to court and fight on there behalf might make them think twice about doing something like this again in the future. Maybe the wrestling community on here can ban together with some kind of funds to help with the legal fees on this and take it to them! Good luck to you and your team coach sounds to me like you are trying to do whats right.

Would it have been possible for kids to ride with their parents to Tipton or everyone just pile in a few cars and carpool?  

I would guess that falls under some  type of liability issue.  This would involve them going to and from a scheduled school sporting event with someone other than their own parent or through school transportation.  I'm guessing it would be hard to get all or even enough parents to take the individual kids with that type of notice, plus at that school they may not allow parent transportation anyways.  Schools are all paranoid about that those type of things.  Just out of transportation convenience,  I'm sure it has happens occasional if the parents are in charge of getting kids to an event against a cross town opponent.

I was completely stunned reading this, but want to give kudos to the coaches of both teams, I think you handled a bad situation with class.  I have been fortunate to be involved with a school that respects and supports the wrestling program, so I have never had to deal with these kinds of issues, and feel blessed.  With the amount of talented kids coming out of the Indianapolis area, it's hard to fathom the lack of support these schools are getting.  All sports should be given the same respect, for in each of them are student-athletes who are sacrificing to compete.  Athletics gives them an outlet, keeps them busy, and prepares them for life, and the AD's of these schools should "move mountains" if possible to make sure they get their chance to compete.  

Props to all coaches and programs that this happened to.  I feel extremely bad for the kids who gave all the dedication of practicing and getting ready for events like this.  I, as a parent, would rain down hell, fire, and brimstone on IPS.  Once again, like someone else said, it all comes down to what they perceive brings in money.  That's terrible that the administration doesn't realize what they have done to the kids and their efforts put forth to compete.  Complete lunacy.

Mr Mendoza, I can feel your pain.  I coach at Andrean High School and we do not have buses and our kids have to find their own way to meets to represent their school.  After 3 years of trying, we finally got new singlets this month.  If you would like I can send you our old ones, like the good Catholic school that we are, just e-mail me your address at a59coach@yahoo.com.

If what you say happened exactly as you say it happen, it is a travesty to say the least.  And, if so, I understand your emotion.  However, I don't think you solve the problem or set a good example to the young men on your team by getting fired from your job.  While everybody needs to vent sometimes, I hope you reconsider your planned actions after you cool down.  I hope the would be host school strongly protests to Tech administration.  And perhaps a slew of letters to the newspaper about this injustice might get it some notice.

This is terrible! Coach Mendoza, I'm so glad these young men have such a great coach who will actually stand up for them. We're looking forward to cheering on Dominique and Charlie at State, no matter what singlets they choose to wear. You all work so hard, and don't deserve to be treated this way.

Read the comments posted on the Indianapolis Star's website that are attached to this article.  Says a lot about how ready people in our community are for change in the system and how hungry people are for leadership. 

Don't let this story die or fade away, or we will all be doing Coach Mendoza, and the risk he's taking, a great disservice. 

My buddies did not die face down in the muck so these "school administators" could treat kids like this.  The supreme court has firmly rejected prior restraint!!!! 

Someone should show them what happens when you find a stranger in the alps!!

You go coach, they were being very undude!!!!!

Two items I would like to address:

First, the attention seems to have shifted away from Tipton and portrayed us as the victim.  While we are not adequately supported within our district, the real victims are the Tipton High School seniors and their parents and fans.

Secondly, the response from the Indiana wrestling community has been overwhelming.  I have received dozens of emails and phone calls, a few personal visits, and several schools willing to let us use their singlets.  Our wrestlers certainly feel the support and attention from all of you.  However, I have also heard from two IHSAA Rules Interpreters who told me an adverse consequence that will force me to eat some crow. 

Apparently, if any of our wrestlers report to the mat wearing one of the singlets that are donated, they will be penalized one point for reporting improperly equipped and their injury time will start.  If they fail to change into a "school issued singlet" they will have to forfeit the match.  The officials said the rules clearly state that all uniforms must be "school issued" and I do not count as a school official who can issue equipment.

While I do not agree with the above interpretation, I humbly retract our planned Civil Disobedience and thank the wrestling community for the willingness to support us.  It is obvious that I cannot jeopardize the seasons of our wrestlers.

Thanks to the Indiana wrestling community and good luck to Tipton!

Mendoza

Mr. Bush, as City AD you should know what is going on in all of your schools sports....You took the job and you should know...Don't try to push this blame onto anybody else.....Is it just me? Or has anybody else not known a wrestling coach not to communicate?  So now, we are just going to pass the buck along to someone else now....Be a leader and take responsibility....

If anything happens to Coach Mendoza and Tech this should be on your hands Mr. Bush.....Don't pass the buck....Stand up and be accounted for.  This program has been on the uprising in a school district that has been looked down on for quite some time and it is about time that someone is held accountable.  For the last two years I have witnessed a couple of football games there at Tech with about 20-30 fans on Tech's side and if I am not mistaken 18 football players on the team that gave the State Champs all they could handle for awhile....Those kids played their hearts out for their school with little support....Now the wrestling program is going through this stuff?  How could you ever expect anyone to want to be a coach there with this kind of support?  You can't even provide a bus for the team????  I for one wouldn't ever expect Coach Mendoza to want to come back to this other than the love  for the kids...He is pouring his heart out for this wrestling program, teaching and being a mentor to these young kids and all you can say is "I don't know who dropped the ball"?  I will look into it?????  If I were an AD of any school I would want him on my side....

It would be a real travesty to this school, sport and city if he even gets a slap on the hand for speaking his mind....I guarantee you that I don't even know Coach Mendoza other than meeting him one time at a football game (and a class act), very professional,  but I can promise you that he is no different than any other coach that loves the kids....That is why they sacrifice their time and effort.  There is no other reason that the Coaches do this....Why would they?????

Send this on up the ladder Mr. City AD and do your best to dance around it.  

Do what is right and do nothing but provide the best for these kids and their coaches.....If you can't do that, than step aside....LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY

Apparently, if any of our wrestlers report to the mat wearing one of the singlets that are donated, they will be penalized one point for reporting improperly equipped and their injury time will start.  If they fail to change into a "school issued singlet" they will have to forfeit the match.  The officials said the rules clearly state that all uniforms must be "school issued" and I do not count as a school official who can issue equipment.

Wear the normal singlets inside out for one round of the IPSAC.  Statement made; no rules broken.

The IHSAA intervenes and says a coach can't issue singlets?  Wow.  I've never seen one chosen or issued by anyone else--ever.

Apparently, if any of our wrestlers report to the mat wearing one of the singlets that are donated, they will be penalized one point for reporting improperly equipped and their injury time will start.  If they fail to change into a "school issued singlet" they will have to forfeit the match.  The officials said the rules clearly state that all uniforms must be "school issued" and I do not count as a school official who can issue equipment.

I have witnessed at least ten times when a wrestler has worn a singlet from an another school due to the athlete forgetting to bring his singlet and the coach barrowing one from another school who had an extra in that size.  The number of times I have loaned teams headgear at Semi-State are too numerous to mention.  I think this is bogus and incorrect.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.