Isn't it too late to drop weight?

Timeinandout

There is a thread listing several wrestlers moving down weight classes, but I am not sure people are thinking about the 1.5% per week rule.  I am not in agreement of this rule mainly because it isn't policed.  In most cases(lighter wrestlers), it is too late to weigh above what you want to wrestle at sectionals.  For example, a couple notable 112 pound wrestlers wrestled up at 119 this week in duals.  If the kids weighed in above 119.5, they wouldn't be eligible to make 114 for sectionals because they would have to lose more than 1.5% of their weight.  Will they be forced to stay at 119?  Another example would be a 160 pounder dropping to 145 for sectionals.  Unless he weighed in Yesterday at 152, he would have to lose more than 1.5% of his weight to get to 147 for sectionals.  Even a 145 pounder would only be able to lose 4.25 pounds these next two weeks.  If a 145 pound wrestler weighed in yesterday at 146.5 he is locked in at 145!

Decker weighed in at 145 yesterday apparently

Smart coach.  I wonder about the other situations.  I thought someone stated that Snyder was penalized for this.  Would the other coaches get penalized...or like I said, would the 112 pounders be the new number 1 and 2 ranked 119 pounders?

There is a thread listing several wrestlers moving down weight classes, but I am not sure people are thinking about the 1.5% per week rule.  I am not in agreement of this rule mainly because it isn't policed.  In most cases(lighter wrestlers), it is too late to weigh above what you want to wrestle at sectionals.  For example, a couple notable 112 pound wrestlers wrestled up at 119 this week in duals.  If the kids weighed in above 119.5, they wouldn't be eligible to make 114 for sectionals because they would have to lose more than 1.5% of their weight.  Will they be forced to stay at 119?  Another example would be a 160 pounder dropping to 145 for sectionals.  Unless he weighed in Yesterday at 152, he would have to lose more than 1.5% of his weight to get to 147 for sectionals.  Even a 145 pounder would only be able to lose 4.25 pounds these next two weeks.  If a 145 pound wrestler weighed in yesterday at 146.5 he is locked in at 145!

Isn't there also a new rule that you have to wrestle or at least make weight for 20% of the season?

The IHSAA wont do anything about. They made the rule and wont enforce it. So why not cheat and bump your kids down a weight class or two.

Apparently, in order to enforce it, it first has to be reported.  I don't know how it is verified but there have been coaches suspended in the past couple of years for "allowing" a wrestler to drop too much weight in too short a time.  When an AD I know was talking to Bobby Cox about it and mentioned he didn't think the rule was very clear, he was told in no uncertain terms and very rudely that the rule was very clear and coaches needed to understand that.

The IHSAA wont do anything about. They made the rule and wont enforce it. So why not cheat and bump your kids down a weight class or two.

Since you made this statement, implying cheating, right after a wrestler on our team was mentioned, then I will address it.  Jonathon Decker has been well within the bounds of the IHSAA Weight Control Program all year long and, prior to wrestling in the Sectional, if he wrestles 145 in the Sectional, he will have all of the proper criteria met.  It is a shame that someone who my not have a firm grasp of the rules, and certainly does not know what a wrestler weighes on a daily/weekly basis wants make comments that downgrade others.

If I am not mistaken I believe the date was Dec. 28th. I may be wrong though. A rules interpter would know the exact ruling. Ofcourse, it would also be logically to have the documents that is need at the Sectional seeding meeting. ie..team weigh-in forms and individual weight record.

What date or deadline are you talking about? If you are talking about the last date you have to make a weightclass it just has to be before January 24th.

Apparently, in order to enforce it, it first has to be reported.  I don't know how it is verified but there have been coaches suspended in the past couple of years for "allowing" a wrestler to drop too much weight in too short a time.  When an AD I know was talking to Bobby Cox about it and mentioned he didn't think the rule was very clear, he was told in no uncertain terms and very rudely that the rule was very clear and coaches needed to understand that.

It is reported if they have an official weigh in for this past weekend or have another tournment before sectionals.  It is written down and verified by the ref for that tournment.

What date or deadline are you talking about? If you are talking about the last date you have to make a weightclass it just has to be before January 24th.

Yes that's it. We had a kid a few years ago that had to get his parents to sign the form that allowed him to wrestler below the 7%. At the time of his body fat test he weigh 130.4 and had 7.6 body fat.

This comes up every year about this time.  I'm not a coach, but here's the way I understand things.  First, the way I understand it, 1.5% refers to your weight when the body fat test was taken.  It doesn't refer to your weight as of last week.  That would still make it hard to drop 5 pounds to go down a weight class in a week unless you started at 333 pounds.  :D  Second, and again this is just the way I understand things, the weight loss only applies to your weight loss plan.  If your weight is lower at weigh-in than your plan allows it doesn't count as a quality weigh-in.  It does not, however, disqualify you from wrestling that weight unless it is under the minimum weight certified for you at the body fat test.  So if a wrestler has one scratch weigh-in at the weight he is entering, has 6 quality weigh-ins at any weight for the season, and isn't below his minimum calculated weight he can wrestled any weight he makes without penalty.

First, the way I understand it, 1.5% refers to your weight when the body fat test was taken. 

That is not the way the IHSAA has interpreted it.  They would make a coach sit if his 112 lber. weighed in at 114 at sectional, 121 at team regional and then back at 114 for individual regional.

Rule 5 concerning weight loss is the applicable guidance for week to week weight loss

A coach may enter his wrestler in the IHSAA tournament series in any weight class that

wrestler may be eligible for provided that wrestler has adhered to their individual weight

management program that states a wrestler may never lose more than 1 ? % of their body

weight per week.

That is not the way the IHSAA has interpreted it.  They would make a coach sit if his 112 lber. weighed in at 114 at sectional, 121 at team regional and then back at 114 for individual regional.

Here in lies the problem.  The IHSAA wrote the rule one way, and chose to interpret it another way.    On how it is worded, ACComputer is correct.  However, the IHSAA gets the final say on it, and they choose to disagree with their own rule that they wrote.

Here in lies the problem.  The IHSAA wrote the rule one way, and chose to interpret it another way.    On how it is worded, ACComputer is correct.  However, the IHSAA gets the final say on it, and they choose to disagree with their own rule that they wrote.

However the IHSAA has decided to not enforce the rule when they give the extra 1lb weight allowance at team regional and formerly team semi-state.

I wonder how many guys in the state are more than 5 lbs over weight in practice at some point during the week before a Saturday tournament.  Quite a few I would guess.  So, in my opinion the weight management system is pointless as it currently written or enforced.

Just my opinion, but part of the problem is who gets punished.  If you want teeth in the enforcement the wrestler would need to be ineligible for not staying within the guidelines.  I was one of those guys who played my weight like a yoyo (definately the wrong thing to do) and my coach never once told me to put weight on then take it off and would be willing to bet no coach does that now.  The weight management program is meant to protect kids (and from when I wrestled I see a very large improvement in the weight loss process), but realistically wrestlers and parents have more control over compliance thn the coaches do.  Yet the coaches are in a no win situation, they can get penalized by the IHSAA in the state tournament for letting a kid wrestle who vialate the 1.5% per week, or have the wrath of parents and fans come down on them for holding a kid out.

Does anyone know if a wrestler has ever been made ineligible for the state tourney for not staying within the guidelines of the weight management program?  The IHSAA bulletins mention schools being reprimanded for it on more than one occasion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.