Wrestling needs to improve it's image

JoeDad

The message below in quotes comes from John Licata, who is the NWCA Coaches  Coordinator.  I think that Indiana HS Coaches have made a great effort to improve in this area over the last ten years, but we definitely need to maintain the improvement.  I agree - ties are not always required, but WE most definitely need to stay away from wearing jeans, caps, etc.. as you will read, to any high profile meet.  I'm not taking shots at anybody - just want you all to know what the media and our fan base is seeing and wandering about.

JD

"I am in receipt of some constructive criticism that resulted from our NWCA National Dual Tourney hosted this past weekend in Iowa.

This will be addressed to all the Collegiate Coaches that are involved in the NWCA Leadership Academy. I am including all the State Leaders and State Reps, as all of us can have a positive impact at our schools in our states.

The concerns that were expressed are as follows:

Coaches in the corners wearing Jeans.

Ball caps worn by coaches.

Coaches poorly groomed.

Coaches spitting dip into paper cups.

Wrestlers littering through out the arena.

Wrestlers using profane language.

I have no doubt that these were the actions of very few and some what isolated.. That being true, non the less, I wanted to raise the awareness. Additionally, being a leader by example may not be enough?  Addressing the situation in a professional manner while it occurs may not be comfortable for some, but still useful. Lets hold each other accountable and not accept anything less.

We recognize that a coach may not want to wear a suit and tie for  the long day and due to nature of our sport's physicality. However we can sure dress in a professional manner.

At the Duals we had more media than any event other than the Olympics and Nationals. We must portray our sport in a better fashion to be accepted by the mainstream media.

The product you allow is a direct reflection on you as the coach and your institution. It is also a reflection on all coaches and the NWCA.

We should do better!!

John Licata

John Licata

Coaching Coordinator"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.