Time for a Y2 Rant...

Y2CJ41

I think this is my second rant of the year, but one that we will see more often this time of the year.  I had an individual email me yesterday asking if I wanted brackets from a tournament.  As usual I said, YES!  The individual gets back with me today saying that they will get them to me tomorrow due to their wrestlers having a meet and they don't want them to see the brackets.  Note that this is not a one time thing, I hear it all the time about coaches and releasing the brackets.

Here goes the rant....

Are your kids so mentally weak that knowing who they draw in a tournament will affect their performances?  If they are I think you have bigger problems than just seeing who they have this weekend.  What if another coach sends in the brackets?  How will you approach it now?  Are you going to have words with that coach since he released the brackets and your mentally weak kids broke because of it?

/End rant go along your merry way.

Maybe he doesn't want his wrestlers looking ahead Y2.

You know I know a coach who repeatedly goes on this message board and decries the notion that his school can't compete with larger schools.  I wonder what type of effect this has on his wrestlers mental toughness?

I have never said my kids can't compete with big schools.  We compete pretty well with big schools actually.  We have a lot more trouble with smaller schools :)

I can't speak for all coaches, but I don't show my kids the brackets so that they don't bug me.  I am under the impression that it doesn't matter what the brackets are just wrestle, regardless of who the opponent is.  I know that some strategy goes into the coach knowing what the brackets are and planning for the tournament, but for the most part i think that it is the fans that are intrested in the brackets.

I can't speak for all coaches, but I don't show my kids the brackets so that they don't bug me.  I am under the impression that it doesn't matter what the brackets are just wrestle, regardless of who the opponent is.  I know that some strategy goes into the coach knowing what the brackets are and planning for the tournament, but for the most part i think that it is the fans that are intrested in the brackets.

Don't you want to give your kids a heads up so they can potentially watch previous matches with the people they will face?  That way they can see what they did right or wrong in the previous match.

Joe

Here is your Ray Brinzer quote

A philosophy major, Brinzer wouldn?t warm up before a match. He viewed wrestling as a martial art

If someone jumped him in a dark alley, he wouldn?t have time to warm up.

As told to Lincoln McIlravy during the "94 season

I always enjoyed Ray at Hawk Club events he could draw a crowd.

I was blessed to have a few conversations with Ray at the OTC this last fall.  It was an exhilerating experience...he's awesome.  While we were there, he was attending one of the sessions with us.  At the beginning, he's sitting and listening in jeans and a very loud polo shirt.  Steve Frazier comes in with some of his Jr. World Team members on the other end of the room.  Next thing I know,Ray's over there,  going live with one boy...full out sweat goin...still in his jeans and polo (and a pair of socks). He's in Wisconsin now. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.