Gateway Duals St Louis MD and Merrillville

catmancool

MD lost,...... that was the bad call

typical MD fan, if they win it was all them, if they lose  its the refs fault, or it was a jv guy

Dude, whatever, did you guys see us whining the last two years when you knocked us out? I don't believe so, think I remember a whole lot of conrats and good lucks. I think maybe you've got some animosity built up from getting your butt handed to you in the past somewhere.  Maybe your just whizzed off because although they are young and could be very dangerous in the next few years Castle isn't what you want them to be this year. Instead of whining about what an MD fan has to say about a match that you have not seen or probably ever will, why don't you try to find something positive about Castle's program instead of trolling on an MD/ Merriville topic. Go eat some cake!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about Merriville's overall day, but I believe MD won against Hannibal 71-6, against St. Geniveve 65-7, and against Merriville 45-16....

I had several texts from the Duals saying that the reffing of the MD/Merriville match was terrible, long before the Boots/Berry match...and MD was winning most of those matches, so I don't think the comment was made as an excuse for Boots' loss.  Now, the comment by "The Stick", was clearly meant to be a derogatory dig at MD...I could chalk it up to being a Castle fan (insert dig of your choice here), but refuse to lump one bad apple with the rest of the Castle people I know, most of whom have proven to be class acts...

Well said.

I saw on the Missouri boards that MD and Merrillville were 1-2 in their pool.  Merrillville then beat Whitfield, MO, for 3rd, 42-30.  Whitfield is ranked #4 in Class 1 (smallest of 4 classes) and lost twice to Yorktown earlier this season (46-19 and 42-30).  

MD was wrestling Farmington (ranked #4 in Class 3) for the championship. It was supposedly a close match when the board poster left, and Boots had just gotten pinned at 189 by the Class 3 #7-ranked kid.

As discussed on this site before, Missouri is probably a small step ahead of us in national success over the last 10 years; they are a very legit wrestling state, so this is good competition.

Funny quote from a Missouri fan:

"Go Farmington! Those Mater Dei fans are.... quite entertaining... to say the least! Bader of Farmington had just pinned the 3rd ranked 189 pounder in Indiana as we were leaving and the Mater Dei fans were none too happy about it. Pretty much how they were all day about everything whether they were winning or losing. Go Farmington!"

I never cheer for MD unless they leave Indiana like this, but I always respect the passion.

Sounds like Boots of md lost a second match does anyone know what happen and how did the dual turn out? This is from the Missouri website sounds like md fans traveled well and had a good time.

Farmington and Whitfield 1 and 2 respectively in their pool. Mater Dei and Merrillville 1 and 2 in their pool. Merrillville and Whitfield reasonably close in the dual for 3rd. Merrillville 42, Whitfield 30 I believe.

As we left the Farmington/Mater Dei dual for 1st place was quite close.

Go Farmington! Those Mater Dei fans are.... quite entertaining... to say the least! Bader of Farmington had just pinned the 3rd ranked 189 pounder in Indiana as we were leaving and the Mater Dei fans were none too happy about it. Pretty much how they were all day about everything whether they were winning or losing. Go Farmington!

These are NOT JV wrestlers. Those are their varsity kids in at every weight class! They are the same kids who wrestled in and won the MD Holiday Classic. I know MD is notorious for having solid JV guys, but this is not one of those times. Greg Schaefer even commented in the Evansville paper that these are not JV kids. This is their varisty line up. Just a heads up for the rest of our area, these names will not change much. Seng, Riggs, and Bass (abbrv) are TOUGH VARSITY kids who have won wrestle offs and earned their starts.

These are NOT JV wrestlers. Those are their varsity kids in at every weight class! They are the same kids who wrestled in and won the MD Holiday Classic. I know MD is notorious for having solid JV guys, but this is not one of those times. Greg Schaefer even commented in the Evansville paper that these are not JV kids. This is their varisty line up. Just a heads up for the rest of our area, these names will not change much. Seng, Riggs, and Bass (abbrv) are TOUGH VARSITY kids who have won wrestle offs and earned their starts.

I agree, but I understood Schaefer's quote to mean he doesn't have any JV guys.  He just has more varsity guys than slots in the line-up.

Bassmeier and Riggs have both won and lost wrestle offs. Vibbert beat Seng in wrestle offs and is off on illness time. Weinzapfel is now 152. Mater Dei does change the line up every meet. Also don't forget 160 who wrestles when he is not injured. From what I was told he never wrestle offs.

I remember Mater Dei having a kid who went to state r placed then wasn't varisty the next year.  maybe Nosko or something? idk early 2000's

Dustin Nosko was State Champ in 2003...I can't remember him getting bumped off Varsity @ any time, but I could be wrong....

Mater Dei has always been known for the strength of their wrestling room, whether varsity or JV, those boys are all in their busting their humps...traditionally, wrestle-offs happen on a weekly basis, right up until tourney time...this process is good, it keeps the Varsity guys from getting complacent - if they want to hold onto their spot, they've got to fight for it...plus, it gives the JV guys good experience/competition. Injuries and illnesses also play a part in what line-up any team sends out, on any given night.

I remember Mater Dei having a kid who went to state r placed then wasn't varisty the next year.  maybe Nosko or something? idk early 2000's

It wasn't Nosko.  I remember that happening but can't remember the kid's name, either.  I think he grew too many wt. classes to make varsity.

I also remember a JV kid from MD placing 5th (I think) after the varsity guy blew out a knee earlier in the year.  Kite, maybe, was one of the names but don't remember which one he was.

The reserve who places 5th was Robbie Mallory.

Yes, Robby Mallory stepped it up and placed 6th after Tim Scott was injured one week before the start of the tournament series....that was late 90's...man that spoke volumes for the depth of the wrestling room at the time...

It was Bobby Ausbrooks in 2002 (I think) who couldn't crack the varsity lineup as a senior around 135-140, after having been a state qualifier in 2000 at 103 (losing 7-2 Fri. night to eventual champ Nick Iannarelli,  Elkhart Memorial).  He was a better wrestler as a senior 140 than as a soph 103.

It also happened to Zeke Zenthofer.  He made it to state at 125, then the next year didn't make varsity at 135.  I think it was 2008???  This happens quite a bit. Wrestle varstiy one year, then back on reserve the next.  Trevor Appell, Tyler Raben, and Alex Schneider to name a recent  few.

It also happened to Zeke Zenthofer.  He made it to state at 125, then the next year didn't make varsity at 135.  I think it was 2008???  This happens quite a bit. Wrestle varstiy one year, then back on reserve the next.  Trevor Appell, Tyler Raben, and Alex Schneider to name a recent  few.

Zenthofer was the one I was thinking about.  And, yes, Mallory and Scott were the other two.  Like Matchick said, what depth.  Who was MD's 160 lber. that year?  Apparently, Mallory couldn't beat him, either.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.