HYWAY State

ekocottonball

A person at club told me last night that HYWAY state will be on March 26th at Hunington North.  Is that true?  It seems a little odd to have it the very first weekend of the freestyle-greco season.  I think that would really hurt attendance severely.  And the later it is in the spring, the more negative impact on attendance.  They should have it a week or two earlier.

In all honesty, wrestling people are the sport's worst enemy.  People want to blame Title IX, but we ourselves will destroy the sport from the inside faster than some government regulation will.

Y2 you know how it pains me to say this but....I am in total agreement with you!

I am pretty sure that one & two weeks earlier would put it up against the ISWA Folkstyle State (March 12 for Pee Wee - Novice and March 19-20 Schoolkid - Junior)ekocottonball. Does that make sense to do? If they are in fact holding it on March 26th, it makes a lot of sense.

In all honesty, wrestling people are the sport's worst enemy.  People want to blame Title IX, but we ourselves will destroy the sport from the inside faster than some government regulation will.

Please explain what your comment has to do with HYWAY State?  I don't agree or disagree.  Just trying to figure out the linkage of your post to HYWAY State.

First, Hywa is trying to better wrestling in Indiana, by keeping cost low. Not everbody can afford 30 dollars for a cards and tournaments, especially in this economy. Second over half the kids don't even bother to wrestle after folkstyle state anyway just look in the book.

First, Hywa is trying to better wrestling in Indiana, by keeping cost low. Not everbody can afford 30 dollars for a cards and tournaments, especially in this economy. Second over half the kids don't even bother to wrestle after folkstyle state anyway just look in the book.

Tournament fees for both organizations are nearly the same.  This weekend for instance there is a HYWAY tournament at Mishawaka and an ISWA tournament at Calumet and both are charging $15 to enter.

If you want to complain about an upfront difference of $15 for a card, then so be it.  After you look at the expenses for traveling around the state to go to events in the winter/spring $15 doesn't make much of a difference. 

I really don't buy the cost being low thing when you see the fees that HYWA charges for their events is identical to what ISWA events charge.

Please explain what your comment has to do with HYWAY State?  I don't agree or disagree.  Just trying to figure out the linkage of your post to HYWAY State.

Instead of working together we have people working against eachother in this sport.  This sport is not big enough for people to compete against eachother, but instead we should work together to improve the sport.  Having two separate organizations makes it so the tournaments are overall less attended and have less quality.  The ones that are hurting are the kids and even the future development for them in this sport. 

Instead of working together we have people working against eachother in this sport.  This sport is not big enough for people to compete against eachother, but instead we should work together to improve the sport.  Having two separate organizations makes it so the tournaments are overall less attended and have less quality.  The ones that are hurting are the kids and even the future development for them in this sport. 

Ah, I understand your logic now.  Thank you.

I don't see anything wrong with having a second wrestling organization. ISWA was not the first one in Indiana.  If HYWA does not succeed they have done at least one good thing. They have brought mat-side pairing to the state. At least I have heard them credited for that.

ISWA will probably survive and will be stronger for having the challenge of competing against another organization.

I couldn't disagree more with the suggestion that HYWAY is working against or will hurt INDIANA wrestling.  I have posted a few times about the benefits MYWAY tournaments have over ISWA tournaments, but the most important one is its organization.  MYWAY splits its sessions between younger and older wrestlers and even the large weight classes are almost always done with the first session by 1 or 2 PM.  Getting the younger kids done at a decent time is good for the kids and good for the parents.  Mat side pairings are a big part of that, but having paid refs and designated matside workers is also a big part of it.  If HYWAY can do what MYWAY has done, Indiana wrestling would take a big step into the future of how tournaments should be ran.

The MYWAY regional director in our region said he isn't sending info to Indiana coaches anymore because the tournaments are getting so big.  Does that sound like an organization that is hurting the sport?  If the ISWA shows it wants to make big changes, you don't need HYWAY and should back the ISWA.  But I didn't see much improvement in the couple ISWA tournaments I took my son to last year and as a result will not be attending any this year.  I am attending the HYWAY tournament tomorrow to support this organization and hope to see it offer many more tournaments in the future.

Hyway did not bring matside pairing to Indiana.  Munster has done matside pairing for several years at their folkstyle tournament.  Splitting sessions is also not a Hyway  invention.  Hobart has done it at their local tournament in the past.  ISWA state tournaments have done it for along time as well.

Folkstyle tournaments can be paired matside as there is no way to make a mistake, winners wrestler winners, losers move to the conso's.

Some local tournaments do not have enough help which is why they take so long.  You need enough officials, tablehelp etc to run a smooth tournament.  Years ago when local tournaments had 700 wrestlers each club supported the next by sending pairing and mat officials as well as tablehelp to every tournament they attended.  Today's society, is not that interested in helping.

I think a better question in decided whether or not freestyle is good for the wrestlers is to ask Andrew Howe, Angel Escobedo  or Alex Tsirtsis what has helped them get to the level they are at?  Where did the college coaches that recruited them see them wrestle?  Some how i don't think it was at some Hyway event.

"I think a better question in decided whether or not freestyle is good for the wrestlers is to ask Andrew Howe, Angel Escobedo  or Alex Tsirtsis what has helped them get to the level they are at?  Where did the college coaches that recruited them see them wrestle?  Some how i don't think it was at some Hyway event."

That is a good argument, but I don't think it has hurt Michigan kids from getting recruited or being all americans in college and the USA wrestling organization in Michigan is almost non-existent, at least at the youth level.  I couldn't find a USA wrestling tournament in Michigan last year and couldn't get a response to multiple emails about what it took to qualify for the state tournament.  We didn't go, but when I checked the results it looked like what should have been big weight classes were 5 - 10 kids max at the state free-style tournament.  Between MYWAY and Border War tournaments, I did not miss free-style at all.

I think it would be a better question to consider the number of kids Indiana has been able to get to the Howe, Escobedo, and Tsirtsis level and then consider whether it is worth putting all the other kids through longer unorganized tournaments in their youth to get there or if there would be more kids who enjoy the sport if the tournaments could be completed earlier.  This is no knock on Indiana wrestling, I am from Indiana and love to see the kids make it big.  I think the wrestling Academies in Indiana have helped these kids a ton and would never root against an Indiana kid.

I know it won't happen over night for HYWAY and there could be a year or two of growing pains.  I am just much more impressed by what MYWAY has done than where I think the ISWA is headed based on my experiences.  Everyone wants what is best for the kids,  I just enjoy MYWAY much more than ISWA and think most people would.  I am just a parent who has wants to see the sport grow.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.