Mater Dei Holiday Classic Updates

polytropos

Terrence got third at 103. At 140 it was St. X (KY) Honeycutt over UC (KY) Thomas by second round pin

145: Memorial over Mount Vernon by decision

152: UC Caleb Ervin by pin over Mount Vernon?

160: St. X Lampe decision over MD Sims (Sims looks injured and out was gassed)

I left after that match. Im pretty sure MD won with Trinity 2nd and Union 3rd. Memorial got 5th

171 Brandstein (MD) won over Henderson (KD)

189 Boots (MD) over Sandwith (Mem)

215 Prittle (Avon) over Wright (MD)

285 VanWinkle over Flynn (Trinity)

The Kentucky teams brought some very good individuals which won titles at 103, 112, 125, 130, 135, 140, 152, and 160.

Good article about Caleb Ervin from Union County, KY who was named outstanding wrestler at the MD Holiday Classic.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2010/dec/29/ervin-fights-his-way-back/

Not only was this a great article, the boys from UC and the coaching staff are top notch ~ great competitors and great sportsmanship.

what about the 119 pounder from franklin tennesse not making weight, whats everyones thoughts on that?

There was some confusion about weight allowances.  Despite having a few not make weight, I think the TN team did the best they could, they went out there and wrestled, despite the setbacks. 

There was some confusion about weight allowances.  Despite having a few not make weight, I think the TN team did the best they could, they went out there and wrestled, despite the setbacks.  

What was the confusion?   I didn't hear the coach mention anything about it.  Does Tennessee give a growth allowance on a different date?  Eons ago Indiana gave their's on Christmas Day, which still makes sense to me.

Who beat the Sam Goebel from MD? I was sure he would be in the finals and I was almost positive he would be Brock Ervin.

Sam got beat by the eventual runner-up, Ian Kahl from Trinity, 10-6 in the quarterfinals.  Sam came back in the consolation bracket with three pins and 4-1 decision to get 3rd.

This is the rule in Tennessee:

IV. Growth Allowance

A two-pound growth allowance shall be added to each weight class after December 25. The

weight classes remain the same for the purposes of the weight management program.

My thoughts on this event:  If this had been an Indiana/Kentucky dual, I think Kentucky would have won.  I saw several Ky. wrestlers who could place top 4 in the In. individual tournament.  I saw only one from In. that I think can place top 4 this year.  I know the south will be well represented at the individual state finals this year, but not many will come from this tournament.  It is pretty bad that Kentucky Day school brought 1 wrestler and outscored Vincinnes Lincoln.  I have never seen Franklin as weak as they were this year.

Only one wrestler who can finish top 4 in the state.  I would say Wedding, Sims and Boots all have great shots at top 4 and there were a few others with at least an outside chance.  I will agree though that the Kentucky schools brouht some studs.  Both Ervins, Fahy, Hitchings, Carr, Lampe and Blackwell might all finish top 4 in Indiana.  The strenght of the Kentucky schools is what helps make the Classic as tough as it is. 

What was the confusion?   I didn't hear the coach mention anything about it.  Does Tennessee give a growth allowance on a different date?  Eons ago Indiana gave their's on Christmas Day, which still makes sense to me.

Yes, apparently, TN gives 2 lbs beginning on Christmas and, according to several of the parents, their wrestlers believed they got 2 lbs for the Holiday Classic.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.