Can the Pirates dethrone the Dogs ?

pirateville

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the post today the merrillville coach stated that both 125 & 152 were injured I think it made sense to bump avalos to 152. I don't think many people outside of merrillville thought the score would be much different. I predicted more than 25 points cp won by 26 and I thought merrillville would win four matches they ended up winning 5.

Cp also beat #4 Mishawaka by 28. So until proven otherwise I think it is a three team race between emd pm and cp.

On a side note fuqua looked very good as did Padilla.

I did not get a chance to get there last night.... 

103 was a match I was excited for and also a bit surprised to see Fuqua beat Garza 13-4.  Fuqua must be the real deal.  I understand he also beat the 103 kid from Hanover who is pretty tough.

I have seen Garza wrestle since he was young and he is gonna have a dynamite high school career but right now he is wrestling 103 between 95-100 pounds.  Don't count this kid out in the post season.  He will be back and be a factor in the semi-state.   

easy guy, nobody said anything about berry running, kral was the one who ran and forfeited. we commend berry for chasing that rematch from last year against kral

That was an ignorant statement , Tyler didn't make any of those decision he's one of the most competitive wrestlers in the state , if you would have seen how pissed off he was when he wasn't able to wrestle Knura . I guess since your Mr RankingsGuy and Kral who's 20 - 0 and only majored the #9  215 lber you'll probably knock him down to #7 in the state . At Crown Point the wrestlers do what the coach tells them to do , that might be the reason they've been a power out the Region for the last few years . Garza could have had another 8 lbs and he would have still lost .

103 was a match I was excited for and also a bit surprised to see Fuqua beat Garza 13-4.  Fuqua must be the real deal.  I understand he also beat the 103 kid from Hanover who is pretty tough.

I have seen Garza wrestle since he was young and he is gonna have a dynamite high school career but right now he is wrestling 103 between 95-100 pounds.  Don't count this kid out in the post season.  He will be back and be a factor in the semi-state.   

First of all you?re right Josh Fuqua is the real deal. Michael Garza is also a very good technician and a fantastic kid, but not on the level of Fuqua at this point. We've had the opportunity to train with both extensively and that match went exactly as I would have expected. No offence to Michael Garza he is giving 10#. I believe Fuqua has wrestled Boston twice in the last year or so, and lost both by a point or two, one being in OT. I don't see Fuqua getting bumped out of the top 3-4 at Conseco, he could very well be a finalist.

At Crown Point the wrestlers do what the coach tells them to do , that might be the reason they've been a power out the Region for the last few years . Garza could have had another 8 lbs and he would have still lost .

Or it could be timely move ins or bill hawkins running jr bulldogs that couldn't be it

Or it could be timely move ins or bill hawkins running jr bulldogs that couldn't be it

great...here we go with the move ins again...another dead horse...and what does jr bulldogs have to do with anything there is a jr bulldogs football program-not wrestling.  Bill Hawkins (along with other noteables) runs a program in northwest indiana that all kids from all schools have opportunity to attend...

great...here we go with the move ins again...another dead horse...and what does jr bulldogs have to do with anything there is a jr bulldogs football program-not wrestling.  Bill Hawkins (along with other noteables) runs a program in northwest indiana that all kids from all schools have opportunity to attend...

was Crown Point a state Power 10 years ago? Did all of the medals that came through CP not wrestle for a kids club at CP that Hawkins coached? Yes he coaches RWA now. Also did CP not get better with move ins the same way other schools have? That doesn't take away from CP being really good. 

Fuqua is Tough. Good on his feet better on top. He turned Garza a couple times. Garza turned him for 2 at the start of the 2nd and that was about it. He might be the top 103 at a tough Merrillville semi state.

Crown Point just kicked the you know what out of Merrillville and all your hearing is whining , instead of talking about the good things like  Blue filling in for Fuqua at 135  and pinning his kid , we're hearing about move ins , kids getting criticized for coaches decision , their pre high school training , I guess when your on top you you should expect this kind of crap . There's class and then there's comments like these .

Crown Point just kicked the you know what out of Merrillville and all your hearing is whining , instead of talking about the good things like  Blue filling in for Fuqua at 135  and pinning his kid , we're hearing about move ins , kids getting criticized for coaches decision , their pre high school training , I guess when your on top you you should expect this kind of crap . There's class and then there's comments like these .

I believe that someone posted that CP's team is good because they listen to their coach I simply post why they became a power in the state. A good kids club, being a school system in which talented wrestlers want to be a part of. I guess the people on this board are really putting down the Bulldogs. Come on you can take it how you want 

I believe that someone posted that CP's team is good because they listen to their coach I simply post why they became a power in the state. A good kids club, being a school system in which talented wrestlers want to be a part of. I guess the people on this board are really putting down the Bulldogs. Come on you can take it how you want 

I think that if you said "a good kids club, being a school system in which talented wrestlers want ot be a part of" in the first place and not a snide comment about move ins and a coach that is not cp's you would not have gotten the response you did...

[table]

[/table]

Crown Point just kicked the you know what out of Merrillville and all your hearing is whining , instead of talking about the good things like  Blue filling in for Fuqua at 135  and pinning his kid , we're hearing about move ins , kids getting criticized for coaches decision , their pre high school training , I guess when your on top you you should expect this kind of crap . There's class and then there's comments like these .

I did talk about the good things a few pages back. I touched on how merrillville wrestled tuff with a young team and got most of its wins late in the duel, and how CP's guys that don't get as much ink step up huge and were getting major, techs, and falls. I'm not sure why your getting upset. The only real thing people have a problem with is why would Vlink bump kral away from berry?  By your name I know your from CP and you know they have at least 4 horses in the line up that didn't go to CP until high school, and didn't English transfer there a few years back with hopes to wrestle but the state wouldn't let him?

Whoever said CP wins b/c they "listen to their coach" is completely ignorant.  How many of CP's studs are Scott Vlink trained?  Scott Vlink was given a gift with all of the talent that Bill Hawkins and others produced that happened to either live in Crown Point or later move into Crown Point and he is simply along for this ride.  Let's not forget the similar situation that happened at Griffith at the beginning of the last decade.  I believe that this one down in CP will turn out much the same.

I think that if you said "a good kids club, being a school system in which talented wrestlers want ot be a part of" in the first place and not a snide comment about move ins and a coach that is not cp's you would not have gotten the response you did...

seriously.. why does he have to be politically correct...  just because he didnt fluff what he said doesnt make it any less true....  CP is a dominant program now, no doubt, but everything he said as to why they are dominant is absolutely true..  and i didnt find a single negative or snide remark in his comment.

Whoever said CP wins b/c they "listen to their coach" is completely ignorant.  How many of CP's studs are Scott Vlink trained?  Scott Vlink was given a gift with all of the talent that Bill Hawkins and others produced that happened to either live in Crown Point or later move into Crown Point and he is simply along for this ride.  Let's not forget the similar situation that happened at Griffith at the beginning of the last decade.  I believe that this one down in CP will turn out much the same.

I don't want to get into a pi**ing match on here, but I have to defend my boys. You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.  I had a whole bunch of facts written to refute you, but it's not worth it.  You obviously are not a rational person, because to compare CP to Griffith is insane.  

Wow do you truly believe what you all that you said in that statement because if you do you maybe the one we should look at as ignorant.  First off I would like to point out that 12 of the 14 studs on the team that won the state championship were quote, unquote Scott Vlink trained.  As for your comments about Coach Hawkins and what he did for the program well let me point out to you that when he ran the Team Lightning Club (the club program for Crown Point) he was also the assistant varsity coach for the high school program much like what Coach Rodreguez is now and let's see he also now runs the club.  The Elementary program has been around since the time that Bill Hawkins wrestled for Coach Vlink and now is run by the former freshman coach Del Keutemeir.  Now yes some families have moved in and provided a great boost for the program I am not going to lie there, but to say that where they are today is not due to the coaching of Coach Vlink is totally absurd.  Let me also point out that there is a rich history of excellence at Crown Point High School which I know for a fact because I was there during some of the early excellence and would like to say that I am still sure that the Dogs would still have been a force in the state because of what they learned from the teaching and coaching of Scott Vlink.

Crown Point Records:

Semi-State Champs ? 1988

Regional Champs ? 1988, 89, 1992, and 2006, 08, 09, 10

Sectional Champs ? 1970, 74, 77, 80, 86, 87, 88, 89, 91, 92, 98, 2001, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10

Lake Suburban Conference Champs ? 1986, 87, 88, 89, 1991, 92, 93

Duneland Athletic Conference Champs ? 2007, 08, 09, 10

INDIVIDUAL STATE QUALIFIERS (post 1980)

1983 ? Kenny Miller

1984 ? Kenny Miller, Jeff Stokes, Gary Weilbaker

1985 ? Dean Black

1986 ? Jarret Bothwell, Myron Swope, Jim Bogash (2nd), Dan Degani

1987 ? Evan Rees, Jarret Bothwell, Steve Smith (5th), Troy Hepp(5th)

1988 ? Evan Rees, Jeff Greco, Troy Hepp (3rd), Doug Willems (5th), Andy Coburn, Charlie Smith (2nd)

1989 ? Bill Hawkins, Brian Nelson (6th)

1990 ? Bill Hawkins (2nd), Brian Malone (5th)

1991 ? Eric Bothwell (4th), Brian Malone (3rd), Andy Tucker

1992 ? Jason LaPorta, Eric Bothwell (5th), Paul Nierman, Kyle Loudermilk

1994 ? Tom Stanojevic (5th)

1995 ? Chris Catalano

1996 ? Chris Catalano (8th)

1998 ? Mark Kaiser, Kevin Wilkinson

1999 ? Kevin Wilkinson

2000 ? Kevin Wilkinson, Ryan Wilkinson (3rd). Wayne Postelthwait

2001 ? Brian Mellis, Kevin Wilkinson (8th), Ryan Wilkinson, Tony Schoeffel

2003 ? Mark Vlink (4th)

2004 ? Brett Mellis, Cory Bush (4th)

2005 ? Brett Mellis, (7th)

2006 ? Brett Mellis, Tony Conway

2007 ? Anthony Hawkins, Tony Conway, Andrew Szymborski (5th), Marcus Shrewsbury (7th)

2008 - Anthony Hawkins (4th), Dallas Schurg, Anthony Fennel, Eric Roach (2nd), Tony Conway (4th), Mark Myers (5th), Marcus Shrewsbury (2nd)

2009 ? Cameron Halsted (7th), Anthony Hawkins (1st), Jason Tsirtsis (1st), Eric Roach (4th), Mark Myers (3rd), Marcus Shrewsbury (1st), Jimmy Bakalik

2010- Anthony Hawkins (5th), Jason Tsirtsis (1st), Josh Flamme, Eric Roach (1st)

State Finalists- 71

State Place Winners- 35

State Champions- 5

A pretty reasonable, objective breakdown.  But, a few corrections: 

Fuqua over Garza.  Jacobs by decision, he won't pin Burlison.  and Shrewsburry over Peppers.  +6 CP  -9 Merr.  Final score  CP 42  Merr. 18.

when i typed that score i thought it was kind of high, but then went with my first instinct.  final was 46-20  shrewsbury and peppers didn't wrestle. 

Coach77, these numbers you give only strengthen my argument.  As a huge 5A school, you'd expect CP to get their 1 to 2 state qualifiers a year, which they did until 2007.  This is where you see the huge boom!  Did Vlink become a better coach all of a sudden and go from producing 1 to 2 state qualifiers a year which anybody who knows anything about wrestling at a huge school can do to producing state champs, a state championship team, and 5+ placers a year?  I'm thinking not.  I'm attributing this to the move-ins and the success of Bill Hawkins' Crown Point Lightning program.  I'd love to hear how much new found wrestling knowledge that Scott Vlink passed on to Jason Tsirtsis, Eric Roach, Marcus Shrewsbury, Anthony Hawkins, etc. in the past 4 years that took Crown Point from a very average 5A team that hadn't ever won a Duneland title until 4 years ago, hadn't won a Regional title in 14 years, and hadn't produced an individual State Champion until 2 years ago.  Where did Vlink drastically improve his coaching skills in the last 4 years? I'd love to know.

granted, we have been fortunate to have a few kids move in the last few years.  but it is not like they were not moving into a pretty solid program.  there must have been some reason they wanted to come here. 

a couple of years ago when we had 3 champs, two of them (hawkins and shrewsbury) came up through the cp system since early grade school. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.