Can the Pirates dethrone the Dogs ?

pirateville

I think the only way  Merrillville can knock Crown Point off the top of the D.A.C. they can not allow any pins like they gave up last year , and they will have to win all the matches where Crown Point wrestlers are non ranked . One big swing match which the pirates have to win will be at the 130 lb class between Padilla and Halsted , if the Dogs win that match it could be a long night .

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only way  Merrillville can knock Crown Point off the top of the D.A.C. they can not allow any pins like they gave up last year , and they will have to win all the matches where Crown Point wrestlers are non ranked . One big swing match which the pirates have to win will be at the 125 lb class between Padilla and Halsted , if the Dogs win that match it could be a long night .

that match is at 130. and i agree, its a must win for the pirates.  they could also use a big win out of michael garza over fuqua at 103.

A lot of things will have to go right for M'ville to pull it out, but i sure couldn't say that it isn't possible.  When these two schools get together, it is gonna be a dogfight.  This year, I don't think it will be as close as it usually is though.  But, you never know.   

C.P.            Merr.

103 lb   Fuqua  C.P.                        maj.                Garza   Merr.                     4                 0                                

112 lb   Saroff   C.P.                         dec.                 Costakis Merr .                 7                 0

119 lb   Jacobs Merr.                      dec.                 Burlison C.P.                     7                 3

125 lb   Garcia  Merr.                     maj                 Harvey C.P.                      7                  7

130 lb   Halsted C.P.                        dec.                 Padilla Merr.                   10                7          

135 lb    Fuqua C.P.                          wbf                 Jara Merr.                        16                7

140 lb   Tsirtsis C.P.                         wbf                 Acosta Merr.                     22               7

145 lb    Roach C.P.                           wbf                 Avalos Merr.                     28               7

152 lb    Flamme C.P.                       maj                Sandefer Merr.                 32               7

160 lb    Schurg C.P.                         maj                Deluna Merr.                    36              7

171 lb    Shrewsbury C.P.                  dec.              Norman Merr.                 39              7

189 lb    Berry Merr.                         wbf                Legbehn  C.P.                    39             13

215 lb    Kral C.P.                                wbf                Nickson Merr.                   45             13

Hwt.       Acosta Merr.                        dec                 Swope C.p.                         45             16

If the lineup is the same from the Traicoff and the Merr. - Portage match .  , and no injuries between now and then .                       

I don't see Fuqua maj garza.

103 garza d Fuqua

112 Saroff maj costakisis

119 Jacobs wbf burlison

125 Garcia d Harvey

130 Halsted d padilla

135 Fuqua wbf Jara

140 Tsirtsis wbf

145 flamme d Avslos

152 Roach wbf Sandefer

160 deluna d Shurg

171 peppers d Shrewsbury

189 berry wbf langbhen

215 kral wbf nickson

hwt slope d acosta

36-27 CP

I don't see Fuqua maj garza.

103 garza d Fuqua

112 Saroff maj costakisis

119 Jacobs wbf burlison

125 Garcia d Harvey

130 Halsted d padilla

135 Fuqua wbf Jara

140 Tsirtsis wbf

145 flamme d Avslos

152 Roach wbf Sandefer

160 deluna d Shurg

171 peppers d Shrewsbury

189 berry wbf langbhen

215 kral wbf nickson

hwt slope d acosta

36-27 CP

A pretty reasonable, objective breakdown.  But, a few corrections: 

Fuqua over Garza.  Jacobs by decision, he won't pin Burlison.  and Shrewsburry over Peppers.  +6 CP  -9 Merr.  Final score  CP 42  Merr. 18.

A pretty reasonable, objective breakdown.  But, a few corrections: 

Fuqua over Garza.  Jacobs by decision, he won't pin Burlison.  and Shrewsburry over Peppers.  +6 CP  -9 Merr.  Final score  CP 42  Merr. 18.

I don't see Padilla losing to Halsted.  Padilla looking extremely tough.  Didn't Halsted only beat Alex Katsafaros 5-3? If Halsted was that good he should have mopped the floor with him.  Plus, Halsted was out last year.  I don't think he's there yet and I don't take anything away from Halsted being a good wrestler, I think he's overrated......

Its called swing matches. Those matches will decide the victor. If merrillville wins those. They could win. If crown point wins the swing matches as last year meeting. The outcome will be the same.. Only time will tell. Better bring my heart monitor..

I don't see Padilla losing to Halsted.  Padilla looking extremely tough.  Didn't Halsted only beat Alex Katsafaros 5-3? If Halsted was that good he should have mopped the floor with him.  Plus, Halsted was out last year.  I don't think he's there yet and I don't take anything away from Halsted being a good wrestler, I think he's overrated......

Halsted only lost to Wisler 6-5 at the Traicoff , and had Wisler on his back , and Wisler is a lot better wrestler than Padilla .

The region has produced some good wrestlers the last couple of decades and as names change the rivalry stays the same. This rivalry goes deeper than some of the matches in the state.  The intensity has already begun and the build up will be greater than the outcome . I would rate this mathup like a semi-state football game.  All the wrestlers have worked hard and all the wrestlers have been in tight situations before.  Does not matter the outcome cause  it is a win win situation.  The regions 2 top teams square off and both teams benifit from the talents on both squads.  The better these two programs get the higher the quality of wrestlers in NWI we will have.  M-ville and CP,  does not get any better.

The region has produced some good wrestlers the last couple of decades and as names change the rivalry stays the same. This rivalry goes deeper than some of the matches in the state.  The intensity has already begun and the build up will be greater than the outcome . I would rate this mathup like a semi-state football game.   All the wrestlers have worked hard and all the wrestlers have been in tight situations before.  Does not matter the outcome cause  it is a win win situation.  The regions 2 top teams square off and both teams benifit from the talents on both squads.  The better these two programs get the higher the quality of wrestlers in NWI we will have.   M-ville and CP,  does not get any better.

it is always a awesome dual. When you can get two set of fans who care and pack the gym it always makes for a great dual

Halsted only lost to Wisler 6-5 at the Traicoff , and had Wisler on his back , and Wisler is a lot better wrestler than Padilla .

...Halsted may have lost by "only" 1, but still lost....I think Wisler was off his game that day.  Wisler and Padilla have never wrestled each other so you can't make any judgements or calls on who's a "much" better wrestler.  Wisler is tough as nails but I believe he may be cutting way too much weight, which will definitely affect the way he wrestles.  I wager that Padilla will beat Halsted convincingly.... However...I don't think Merrillville will win regardless of swing matches...Crown Point has too many kids that were never brought up under Crown Points feeder program...Look at the Fuqua brothers...their not even from Crown Point! Nor are Roach or Tsirtsis....

...Halsted may have lost by "only" 1, but still lost....I think Wisler was off his game that day.  Wisler and Padilla have never wrestled each other so you can't make any judgements or calls on who's a "much" better wrestler.  Wisler is tough as nails but I believe he may be cutting way too much weight, which will definitely affect the way he wrestles.  I wager that Padilla will beat Halsted convincingly.... However...I don't think Merrillville will win regardless of swing matches...Crown Point has too many kids that were never brought up under Crown Points feeder program...Look at the Fuqua brothers...their not even from Crown Point! Nor are Roach or Tsirtsis....

You must have a short memeory ole merriville has had a few too. I tink your 103 pounder was a griffith kid.

I guess I would rather have kids wanting to come to your school  than wanting to leave your school . Crown Point is a fairly new high school with a great accademic and athletic programs . We feel honored that other atheletes want to come here , even as far away as Warsaw .

If I do recall the Pirates have had their fair share of move ins through out the years as well.

As I am older, wiser, and also a parent I can say a few things.  I as a parent want what's going to give my children the best opportunity to succeed.  If that means moving school districts then so be it.  When I say succeed I mean by all aspects.  If moving is going to give my child a better education, a better chance at going to college in sports, or even out of a bad neighborhood then so be it.  I grew up in East Chicago and always root for the hometown team, but I would never want my kids to grow up in that type of environment that I made it out of.  (An example: my little brother Anthony Napules)  When these two teams get down and dirty it doesn't matter who is the better wrestler or who is more likely to win.  It comes down to who has the bigger set of cajones.  It's gonna be a good one and I will be their watching.  Good Luck to both teams.

As I am older, wiser, and also a parent I can say a few things.  I as a parent want what's going to give my children the best opportunity to succeed.  If that means moving school districts then so be it.  When I say succeed I mean by all aspects.  If moving is going to give my child a better education, a better chance at going to college in sports, or even out of a bad neighborhood then so be it.  I grew up in East Chicago and always root for the hometown team, but I would never want my kids to grow up in that type of environment that I made it out of.  (An example: my little brother Anthony Napules)  When these two teams get down and dirty it doesn't matter who is the better wrestler or who is more likely to win.  It comes down to who has the bigger set of cajones.  It's gonna be a good one and I will be their watching.  Good Luck to both teams.

good post.  to hear some people tell it, if you go to first grade in a town, you better graduate from that same place!

i moved to cp 24 years ago from illinois.  from a town that was, well, not the nicest place to live.  judging by the growth rates of certain towns in this county, we are not the only ones that feel that way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.