Al Smith Brackets

Y2CJ41

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main purpose of a seeding meeting is to get the 2 best kids separated which I don't see any spot where that wasn't done. I predicting at least 10 #1 seeds not seats will be champions.

You might be right--but how many will take second--that had no chance--if in other side of bracket--glad you can spell--that you can tell difference of a typo between seeds and seats. Is probaly not about who is seeded number one--but who is seeded--on opposite side of the number one seed.

Was not complaining--was just venting--if everyone else on team got lower seeding than expected--thought maybe in Xmas spirit--you would had thrown us a bone--to makes us wrestling fans feel good about the seeding process. Just an old man venting--hoping maybe one went our way--maybe next year.

That doesn't make any sense.  For them to "throw you a bone" then someone else has to get hosed.  If they made decisions to "make us wrestling fans feel good about the seeding process" then what about the other fans?  The one's of the school of the wrestler that gets hosed.  Then they wouldn't "feel good about the seeding process".  This isn't a subjective process, everyone involved is trying to be as fair as possible.  

If every seeding meeting was all about being nice and doing favors because it is Christmas time, the result would be so chaotic and nonsensical that we would be better off without seeds in the first place!

How common is it for coaches to not attend seeding meetings?  In most of these tournaments, the team title is basically between 2-3 schools.  Are there some schools that don't worry about seeds and even consider an early round loss as an opportunity for more matches/mat time?  Just curious as to the how coaches treat the seeding process versus what the fans think is happening.

"This isn't a subjective process."

Yes it is.  I know what you are trying to say, but seeding is absolutely subjective.  There are judgements all the time about the quality of wins, strength of schedule, etc.

That is why I am adamantly against reseeding in the state tourney series.  It would open up a can of worms and would be political and crappy.  

The only way you could make a subjective seeding process is to go strictly by wins and winning percentage and disregard everything else.  No one wants that except teams that wrestle weak schedules.

For instance in the Al Smith . . .  Princeton is down here in the Southern part of the state.  It is completely subjective to judge their record against the teams from up North.  There are very few if any common opponents to help in the discernment.  Seeding should not prevent the best wrestler from winning, nor should it prevent anything other than perhaps a second best wrestler in a tourney getting 3rd which often times can produce as many or more points than the 2nd place finisher.  To me it is a non point in an in season tourney.  The best wrestler will win and the 2nd best wrestler has at worst the opportunity for a 3rd place finish.

ok, there are some subjective things about the seeding process, i will grant you that.  but when there is objective information available it takes precedence over the subjective information.  subjective info is only used if there is no adequate objective info. 

You might be right--but how many will take second--that had no chance--if in other side of bracket--glad you can spell--that you can tell difference of a typo between seeds and seats. Is probaly not about who is seeded number one--but who is seeded--on opposite side of the number one seed.

Their is no difference between 2 seat and 3 seat. I do not see anywhere in the brackets that someone who should of been a top 3 not. Can you? 

There won't be any kids in this tournament that place that are not good.  Luck has ZERO to do with it!!

All the kids that place will be good, but the ones that should finish higher won't, and the kids that  should wrestle under the lights won't either. I guess wrestling for third is the same as wrestling for second. I think not. Its all about the lights. Good thing state is seeded accordingly, or we might have a repeat of this.

All the kids that place will be good, but the ones that should finish higher won't, and the kids that  should wrestle under the lights won't either. I guess wrestling for third is the same as wrestling for second. I think not. Its all about the lights. Good thing state is seeded accordingly, or we might have a repeat of this.

I looks like you won't be happy unless we just put all of the Merrillville kids straight in the finals.  Sorry, but this just aint fantasy land.

I looks like you won't be happy unless we just put all of the Merrillville kids straight in the finals.  Sorry, but this just aint fantasy land.

I'm sorry did i say that, but thank you for speaking on my behalf. As i see, you must have been at the seeding, and must be very happy with the outcomes. You seem full of joy. Hey, its ok, be happy and confident with the decisions made. Don't be bias, i was not at the seeding, but from hereing your view point all went well. Happy, what is there to be happy or sad about. Wrestling is done and decided on the mat. Hence, coaches arguing for wrestlers, oh yeah wrestlers that are seeded is that necessary. Have we not seen enough wrestling to know better. Anybody, ranking guy, Karl, On the Rise, W2j. Something wrong with this logic. Since you say i represent merrillvile, who do you represent. I represent or should i say support REGION WRESTLERS.

Uhh. . . State is not really seeded.  Is that a joke? 

You know what semi-state your at and know you wrestle the guy who finished at what weight class accordingly, from another semistate. No surprises, unless there are upsets. Thats the beauty of it. Let the wrestlers decide...

You know what semi-state your at and know you wrestle the guy who finished at what weight class accordingly, from another semistate. No surprises, unless there are upsets. Thats the beauty of it. Let the wrestlers decide...

I'm thinking that after 868 bouts over the next 2 days the wrestlers will be the ones that decide the outcome.  The best over those 2 days at each weight will be the champions.  Seeding has nothing to do with who the champions wiil be.  2nd place is the 1st loser and everyone is striving to be the champion and no matter where you are seeded you have to beat the best to be the best. 

State isn't seeded

There are numerous times where the best wrestlers have met in the semi-finals and one has to take third instead of second.

I'm thinking that after 868 bouts over the next 2 days the wrestlers will be the ones that decide the outcome.  The best over those 2 days at each weight will be the champions.  Seeding has nothing to do with who the champions wiil be.  2nd place is the 1st loser and everyone is striving to be the champion and no matter where you are seeded you have to beat the best to be the best. 

Elegantly put.

If a kid deserves to wrestle under the lights then the kid will wrestle well enough to get there regardless of a seed.

This link has some of the dumbest wrestling logic I have ever read. If you think that a wrestler will not get to the finals because of a seed or matchups, that is an admission that you know the kid is not good enough to beat some of the people along the way. Even the best seeded tournaments rarely come out as predicted.

This happens all of the time at state. Someone wins semi-state and gets to wrestle a stud in the first round of state because someone upset in another semi-state.

Sure some big matches might happen earlier than if the seeds would have been perfect, but the best wrestler will win and move on. That's all that matters.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.