285 ? Daniel Meyer vs. Eric Thigpen

wow, looking at the top 5 teams

# of seeds

Mishawaka-8

Penn-8

Merrillville-7

Bellmont-6

LN-6

when you look at the quality of seeds though, Penn and Bellmont  look very close to Mishawaka

This could turn out to be a race where all five of these teams have a shot at either 1st or 2nd coming into day two and the semifinal round

where can we find all of the teams represented?

Merrillville          Lawrence North              Northwood                    New Prairie

Lake Central      Lawrence Central            Elkhart Memorial        Calumet

Lowell                  Center Grove                  Goshen                          Munster

Chesterton          Southport                        South Bend Adams    Hobart

LaPorte              Bellmont                          South Bend Riley        Peru

Rochester            East Noble                      Penn                              Jasper

Princeton            Prairie Heights              Mishawaka                    Michigan City

Columbus East  Warsaw                            Jimtown                        South Bend St. Joe

Today, i see the brackets, and all i could do is laugh. I thought the Al-Smith tournamet was a elite tournamet based on records performance and previous standings based on the Al-Smith tournamet. So i here its based on kids record, who they beat what they placed at state and so forth. I guess placing high in the Al-Smith tournamet, means nothing. Just another day of wrestling. What really matter is State. Yes, that is obvious, but does it mean, when a wrestler beats all those good wrestlers on that one day and place high, and than the next year it means nothing. I guess all incoming wrestlers, must have it rough, should they not be seeded the lowest. Since placing at state is the measure used for seeding at the Al-Smith. Do good one year at the Al-Smith,  or if you do not do good at Al-smith. Just finish strong and will recognize it. Where is the recognition for what is done at AL-SMITH. I consider the AL-SMITH a minnie Semi- State, but hey make sure people arrive early the second day. It looks like a lot of wrestlers will be wrestling there finals in the semi-finals. Way to go, in seeding the wrestlers i see you guys took it serious.

I think head to head, previous Al Smith placing and advancement in the state series are all taken into consideration.

Karl I though you and the rest of the Triumvrate were suppose to be present at the Al Smith seeding meeting to ensure everything was bracketed the right way?

By looking at the low seeds that the Merrillville wrestlers got--Garza, Garcia, Padilla, Sandufer, Peppers, even Berry who was seeded number 2--I am willing to bet--there was no one from Merrellville at seedings meeting.

Berry was seeded behind an undefeated returning state qualifier.  I don't remember seeing Berry at state last year.

Today, i see the brackets, and all i could do is laugh. I thought the Al-Smith tournamet was a elite tournamet based on records performance and previous standings based on the Al-Smith tournamet. So i here its based on kids record, who they beat what they placed at state and so forth. I guess placing high in the Al-Smith tournamet, means nothing. Just another day of wrestling. What really matter is State. Yes, that is obvious, but does it mean, when a wrestler beats all those good wrestlers on that one day and place high, and than the next year it means nothing. I guess all incoming wrestlers, must have it rough, should they not be seeded the lowest. Since placing at state is the measure used for seeding at the Al-Smith. Do good one year at the Al-Smith,  or if you do not do good at Al-smith. Just finish strong and will recognize it. Where is the recognition for what is done at AL-SMITH. I consider the AL-SMITH a minnie Semi- State, but hey make sure people arrive early the second day. It looks like a lot of wrestlers will be wrestling there finals in the semi-finals. Way to go, in seeding the wrestlers i see you guys took it serious.

That's what it looks like Adam Garica a 6 seed when he placed 3rd last year ahead of Crume.

All of the items mentioned were taken in consideration for seeding including past Al Smith placement.  I think at 125, all of the top 4 seeds were returning state qualifiers and this weight class had the most discussion during the seeding meeting.  I think in most seeding discussions during the meeting, state qualifiers were considered slightly higher than past Al Smith placers.  Garcia is the 5th seed.  Also, the Merrillville coach was not present to argue for his wrestler.   Most all of the coaches at the meeting want to be fair and try to do what is right for seeding, but also they fight for their own wrestlers.  That is human nature.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that if coaches can make 3 and 4 hour drives to go to the seeding meeting, then a coach that only has an hour drive should be able to make it to the meeting.  If they can't make it to the meeting, then they should just accept what they get.

I can see there was a lot of people that should have been, could have been, were not there. Could you guys at least set up a conference call. Meeting of the minds. It looks like things were run by a dictatorship. Call it damage control. Just dont see the justification. More questions, then answers, never a good thing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.