Thank You

starsaw

As some of you may know, ?starsaw?, or the original South Adams Wrestling Star, ok maybe not the original there were many, many other great wrestlers that I have had the opportunity to wrestle along side and coach for over the years from South Adams, and where I have had the pleasure to also work with some very amazing and professional coaches as well. 

I have been on staff at South Adams since 1998, when I got of active duty from the Army. Over the years I have found myself back with the military, mainly because other than Wrestling, it?s the very one thing I Love. I have been recently assigned to Ft. Benning, GA as a Drill Sergeant. I report right after the Christmas break, so sadly I am going to miss out on the second half of the season. My time here at South Adams has been a great one, first rate. Our Varsity went from winning just a few matches a year to winning A.C.A.C. titles. We have gone from not getting a kid out of Sectional some years to walking the Floor at Conseco almost every year. 

I am very proud of our kids that have busted it and our Coaches that put endless hours to make our Program what it is today. Leaving Starfire Wrestling is probably one of the hardest things I have had to do. I love all of those guys like my own kids, my own brothers, and my family. BUT, they are in the greatest hands and that makes me feel good. I will follow them as much as I can, and do what I can from down south to assist each and every one of them. I want to thank all of you, in the Wrestling community for all your efforts to make our sport what it is today. Indiana Mat is without question one of the best Wrestling Websites out there, besides www.starfirewrestling.com of course. 

Who would have thought I?d go from some young snot nosed, mouthy coach that argued with Y2 any chance I could? to doing what ever I could to help him create this amazing site. It?s been a huge asset to every wrestling program across the entire State of Indiana. Thanks Joe!  It makes me feel good that I was able to help in what ever way I could. Thank You Indiana Mat, Indiana Wrestling, for everything? it?s been Awesome!

The E.C.I.C. at Jay County will be my last event before I go but like I told the guys here? if I have any opportunity to come back? I will do just that. If I can?t, well I will continue to follow our great sport using Indiana Mat.

GOOD LUCK to all of you for the remainder of the season! GO Starfires! F.I.R.E!

-Coach Sparks

Special Thanks to all of the Starfire Wrestling Coaching Staff, over the years: Jeff Miller, Ron Crider, Steve Tatman, Danny Brotherton, Ryan McCroskey, Eric Hirschy, Craig Hammitt, Jay Stahly, Denny Schwartz, Brian Fox, Herb Bergman, Bob Vickery, Ryan Moore, Jeff Sprunger, Ben Wanner, Josh Kimberlin, Josh Mann, Dustin Ehr, Jackson Werst, Landon Genth, Andy Myers, and of course my close personal friend Coach Eric Myers, who allowed me to come into my own. Thanks Brother.

And Last but not Least a Very Special Thank you to all of you Past, Present, and Future members of Starfire Wrestling!

I would also like to thank starsaw.  Much of the hopefully professional layout of the front page is a result of his company Sparks Design.  He jumped right in with both feat in this website endeavor with Joe and a few others and for that I thank you.  He and Coach Myers have also been nothing but classy representatives of their program, school and community.  Good luck in what the future brings to you.

Dear starfire,

I know how difficult it must be.  Thank you for your contrabution to wrestling but more so THANK YOU for your contribution to this great country.  It takes great people like yourself to do what you do and are going to do.  My son is lookingto graduate next year and hopefully attend the USN Academyand become a part of the Spec. Ops, and its great people like yourself that as a veteran myself look toward to help make average boys and girls great true Americans!

I have told Coach Sparks this over and over, but I think it would be nice for all of your to hear it.  Coach Sparks has spent the last 10 year tirelessly working with the South Adams Wrestling program.  He has developed new drills, unique/creative conditioning techniques, painted/designed our wrestling room, developed our incredible website, been a barber, kept stats, was the ACAC tournament director/host, coached the Elementary, Jr. High, J.V. and High School Teams, designed all of our apparel, ran Open Mat, etc, etc.  I know that I?m missing several things there, but I?m sure you all get the point.  This is a guy that has given his whole heart and soul to South Adams Wrestling in the time that he?s been here.  Our program takes a big hit with the departure of such a great asset.  Thanks for everything that you?ve done Coach! 

Good luck on Sand Hill and the Malone Complex.  I was a Drill Sergeant there in 1996 to 1998 while on active duty.  I remember those days clearly.  The 0330 training meeting, and then wake-up, PT, chow, training, lunch, training, dinner, training, Soldier counseling and packet work, and off to the house at 2230.  True groundhog day, just repeat it until you  get it right (or your 2years is up) :) 

Train those young Warriors hard.  DS is a job that will affect young men, greater than coaching did.  You will be affected more by the this job than I can put in words.(Wait and see)

Having been deployed over 12years of my 22 years of military service, I know the sacrifices that are made; I want to thank you for your service.

Be careful and remember that those young Warriors will be fighting for us and themselves in their near future.

Thank you for your service to our great country.  Very proud to have guys like you in our military, and leading by example.  Great to have you being the outastanding model for our young soldiers to follow.  And of course, thanks for all the contributions for wresting at your school, and all of Indiana wrestling.

I never got the chance to chat with you but your post says alot about your character.  While one community is losing a tremendous individual other groups of young men are going to benefit immensely from your presence.  You obviously have a rare gift of being able to touch lives in a positive way, Ft. Benning and the United States are extremely fortunate to have you.

Thank You and Good Luck! 

Thank all of you! For all ur comments.. Ur all too kind. I will enjoy Sandhill and the heat... But not as much as the snow flies at Conseco! Todays the day! E.C.I.C.... Good luck Starfires... Tear it up!

Coach Sparks,

Your contributions to SA wrestling and to Indiana wrestling have been HUGE and will never be forgotten!!!

Good Luck in your new challenges you are embarking on in the Army and the squad at Ft. Bennings is getting a wonderful LEADER!!!

God Bless you for everything you have and will do for our wonderful United States of America!!!

Coach Sparks

You have definitely moved to a huge responsibility, in training young men who will be our future leaders. I still remember my Drill SGTs names after 23 years. As a Retired 1SG, I thank you for he good work you will be doing, and do not envy the hours and stress. As a parent of a young PFC in Iraq right now, I know you will train them to be, excuse the old Army slogan ( but is still the best), "ALL THEY CAN BE".

God Speed.

Your brother in arms 

1SG James D Vance (ret)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.