Connersville

tkdwn2

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't have said it better Mike...glad to see your gonna be back this year coaching at Connersville....as for a wrestler not being 100% , mentally if losing to a good wrestler in the first round, well that is their problem....If they are good too then it shouldn't make a difference. They should be ready to wrestle no matter what.

At a 32 team tournament you have to be ready for every match whether you know the kid is good or not.  When you have so many teams from different areas of the state if you aren't prepared you might be caught by a headlock king or someone that has a great firemans that you don't know about.  The best matches should be in the semi-finals and finals, not in some random round.  Remember we are preparing kids for the state series where each match gets tougher and tougher, its not where you have one real tough match then four easy ones then a decent match.  If I want random tough and easy matches we can schedule a super dual.

Remember we are preparing kids for the state series where each match gets tougher and tougher, its not where you have one real tough match then four easy ones then a decent match. 

yet we have a state series that only seeds at sectionals... and many times we do get a great or the best match up early in the day  because of this......

i know this much if it was seeded i would not drive from indy for the 1st day and would only show up around noon on the 2nd day and aside from family of kids wrestling im sure most people would do the same so by seeding this im sure the school would lose alot on ticket sales and concessions....not sure if thats why they dont seed but im sure it has some bearing....just my thoughts

They are losing just as many that don't want to sit in a gym all day waiting for a specific match or two.  The casual fans are the ones that are losing.

I don't know about that. I'm gonna call b.s. The casual fan wouldn't know the difference. I don't even know if wrestling has a casual fan.

So you think people go to the Al Smith either both days or not at all? 

I think seeding is so far down on the list as to not be statistically significant.  People attend or don't attend based upon what else is going on in their life.  I would guess that all tournaments, whether seeded or not, have higher attendance on day 2.  This is for several reasons, but two stand out. First, if you are only going for one day, of course you go to the championship day. Second, many people can't make it to the tournament on Friday nights due to travel time. I didn't go to the Friday night of state finals last year cause I couldn't get there in time to see all of it.

Less people will go to the second day of Connersville because there is a greater chance the best matches have already occurred.  If I had a choice of which event to go to on the second day I would take the one where I was guaranteed the best matches.  I am not going to go to Connersville to sit in the stands for two days to make sure I see all the great matches. 

Connersville is losing out on fans from schools that aren't in the tournament that would come on the second day if they knew for certain that Phillps vs. Todd or Kieffer vs. Raley was going to be going on, but instead they don't know if that is the first match or the last one.  This year I would honestly seriously think about attending the event for the second day over the Al Smith due to the number of ranked kids throughout the tournament, but I cannot take two days off to sit in the stands to make sure I see the key matches.  Plus, I am not going to travel that far to maybe see one of the key matches or even possibly NOT see any at all.  I really wouldn't want to go to see Raley tear up a kid that is probably 5th best in the weight class.

Less people will go to the second day of Connersville because there is a greater chance the best matches have already occurred.  If I had a choice of which event to go to on the second day I would take the one where I was guaranteed the best matches.  I am not going to go to Connersville to sit in the stands for two days to make sure I see all the great matches.  

Connersville is losing out on fans from schools that aren't in the tournament that would come on the second day if they knew for certain that Phillps vs. Todd or Kieffer vs. Raley was going to be going on, but instead they don't know if that is the first match or the last one.  This year I would honestly seriously think about attending the event for the second day over the Al Smith due to the number of ranked kids throughout the tournament, but I cannot take two days off to sit in the stands to make sure I see the key matches.  Plus, I am not going to travel that far to maybe see one of the key matches or even possibly NOT see any at all.  I really wouldn't want to go to see Raley tear up a kid that is probably 5th best in the weight class.

I am not advocating one format over the other, as I previously stated. I am quite convinced I am correct regarding a place for both formats, so we will just have to disagree.

Well, you now know the brackets an can figure who is most likely to be the matchups for the 2nd day to figure out if it's worth it or not.  The attendance at Connersville looks very much the same for each day, no huge drop as you think and no noticeable gain either.  It's good to see the brackets spread out with who are believed to be the better wrestler in each weight class.  I notice wrestlers from some of the other local schools that aren't in it that do attend both days to watch an or support there friends.  Good luck to all next week in it an it should be some real good wrestling.

Well, you now know the brackets an can figure who is most likely to be the matchups for the 2nd day to figure out if it's worth it or not.  The attendance at Connersville looks very much the same for each day, no huge drop as you think and no noticeable gain either.  It's good to see the brackets spread out with who are believed to be the better wrestler in each weight class.  I notice wrestlers from some of the other local schools that aren't in it that do attend both days to watch an or support there friends.  Good luck to all next week in it an it should be some real good wrestling.

It is this year, but in the past there is no way I would go.  First off, no brackets released so I would have no clue when the good matches would be.  Secondly, I would have a 50% chance of missing the best matches if I only went one day.  If people know for certain the best matches are going to be at 2pm on the second day more fans from Indy will be making the trip to see the great matchups.

It is this year, but in the past there is no way I would go.  First off, no brackets released so I would have no clue when the good matches would be.  Secondly, I would have a 50% chance of missing the best matches if I only went one day.  If people know for certain the best matches are going to be at 2pm on the second day more fans from Indy will be making the trip to see the great matchups.

You can never guarantee that the best matches occur...There can always be a sleeper that nobody knows about or a kid that catches another kid...Thats why we wrestle!

I agree with y2 on this one I can normally only make one day and in the past I always went to day one because my team normally is almost all out by the end of the day and the matches I want to see happen early. This year if I go I'm going to make sure I atleast go to the second day sure there might be some close matches on day one but the best matchers will be day too. like in 112 135 and 171 at those weight class we could have 1 and 2 at 112, 1 and 3 at 135 and 4 and 6 will probably face in the semis ate 171 and the winner will probably face 2. judging by the brackets I dout any of them will loose in the 1st day. I've been to Connersville the last 6 years at least one day and three of those years both and all 3 times the attendence seems to be the same both days maybe even more the first day due to the tourney starting with about over 375 wrestlers the 1st day and only 168 the 2nd day.

There is nothing wrong with spreading out the ranked kids. No its not a seeded tournament so the basically those who aren't ranked are basically just riding on luck that they don't have to face an animal in the first round. They had the same chance of facing the best guy first this way or the other way that produces more anticipated match ups. Nothing is more boring than a one sided finals match.

There is nothing wrong with spreading out the ranked kids. No its not a seeded tournament so the basically those who aren't ranked are basically just riding on luck that they don't have to face an animal in the first round. They had the same chance of facing the best guy first this way or the other way that produces more anticipated match ups. Nothing is more boring than a one sided finals match.

Nothing wrong with spreading out the ranked wrestlers I agree,  but dont make it so obvious that you seeded this tourney without the coaches input and then  give the higher seeds  all the FFTS.    At least  blind draw the FFTs.   

Lets hear everyone's thoughts.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.