Disqualification QUESTION

wrestlingdad

This happened to one of our guys 2 years ago, it was our last tournament before the Conference meet, and same situation, guy on top was crossfacing our guy and the other guy said he bit him, ref DQed for the rest of the day, and he had to sit out the Conference Tournament that following weekend.

We had this happen last weekend to one of our kids.  Then the ref realized our kid had a full mouthpiece that covered both the top and bottom teeth making it almost impossible to bit someone during a match.  I assume the scratch or mark came from catching a part of his braces that may have become exposed as he was trying to breath from his mouth.  It a very subjective thing for a ref to determine if a bit occured or a crossface was pushing into the teeth caused by an open mouth.  Guess it depends how clear the marks actual are.  

In most officiating circles, the rule of thumb if the bite isn't witnessed goes like this: top marks only equals a cross face that accidentally went in the mouth; top and bottom equals an intentional bite and an automatic disqualification according to very clear statements in the rulebook.  This rule of thumb is not outlined in the rulebook but is generally followed as a principle for deciding if a bite took place.  I have talked with a few officials who will not call it if they see the arm go hard directly into the mouth because they believe an accidental bite could easily be caused (this seems like a logical assessment).  But with normal cross-faces, top and bottom teeth marks are an auto DQ.  And any DQ is an automatic one-event suspension.

Just one more reason we should require all high school wrestlers to wear mouth guards.  We could avoid so many of these situations.

I agree as well. Is there some reason why this isn't required?  I think ISWA requires it. I'm sure there are reasons, but I doubt they are very compelling. Among other things, a high quality mouth piece can reduce the chance of concussions ( I hope I didn't make that up, but I think I read that the last time I bought one)

And any DQ is an automatic one-event suspension.

This is incorrect.  You only serve a suspension for flagrant misconduct not any DQ.  You can get DQ'd but no suspended for locking hands, unnecessary roughness, etc.

I agree as well. Is there some reason why this isn't required?  I think ISWA requires it. I'm sure there are reasons, but I doubt they are very compelling. Among other things, a high quality mouth piece can reduce the chance of concussions ( I hope I didn't make that up, but I think I read that the last time I bought one)

The ISWA has a modified rule, which is expected to be enforced at all ISWA sanctioned events in all styles of wrestling, that requires a mouthpiece for all competitors in the age groups of Schoolboy/girl and under. This is strongly encouraged by USA Wrestling but is not a requirement and is not enforced at all USA Wrestling events.

Last season this happened to us twice.  The first kid intentionally bit someone, and was DQ'd for the day.  The second was the result of a cross-face going into the mouth, and this kid was DQ'd for the day.  The official didn't witness either one. 

Have not run into a biter since youth years.

The last time this happened we had warned the ref the kid had a history of being a biter to no avail. He bit 3 kids at the same tourney.

All 3 sets of parents went to the biters parents and showed the marks (the marks were still there quite some time later!)

The dad of the biter pulled his son out of the tourney right away after having his son apologize. Not sure what he told his son but that wrestler never bit anyone again.

Officiated an elementary dual last year and a 3rd grader was in trouble (cradle) bit his oponent hard on the hand. I stopped the match stood them up and DQed the wretler. I got on my knee and was talking to the biter explaining why he was DQed. He bit me on the forearm and ran off the mat.

Officiated an elementary dual last year and a 3rd grader was in trouble (cradle) bit his oponent hard on the hand. I stopped the match stood them up and DQed the wretlers. I got on my knee and was talking to the biter explaining why he was DQed. He bit me on the forearm and ran off the mat.

That is too funny! Maybe they should make that chain mail style shark bite armor part of the equipment list for refs in youth tourneys.  ;D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.