Wrestlers shaking hands with opponenet Coaches after a match

SlickRodz

I dunno about the japanese yen but I believe it is known that the air currents produced by shaking hands or "bumping knux" can directly affect the flight patterns of migratory birds which in turn can, over the course of time, result in hurricane force winds over isolated islands in the southern seas. Tis true.

I dunno about the japanese yen but I believe it is known that the air currents produced by shaking hands or "bumping knux" can directly affect the flight patterns of migratory birds which in turn can, over the course of time, result in hurricane force winds over isolated islands in the southern seas. Tis true.

that means that shaking hands is a major contributor to global warming

Ever since basketball went to multiple handshakes, no one goes to the games.

In all seriousness, though, I'm kind of in the camp that it's not that big of a deal either way.  People do realize that it's not some time-honored tradition, right?  It's only been a consistent thing in the past 10 years.  I'm very much in favor of showing respect and sportsmanship as much as possible, but I just don't think it's somehow disrespectful for a team not to do it.

I was watching Iowa and Michigan State last night and one of Michigan States wrestlers did go and shake the coaches hand.

That being said I don't think it matters either way. Although I am impressed when a young man loses a hard fought match and sicnerely shakes the opposing coaches hand. I usally think that is a class act. I am with others though if you are just going to slap at it or have an attitude it is better to not go into the opposing corner.

It is not about the hand shake. It is about a kid walking over to a coach to shake hands or bump knuckles and the coach doesn't acknowledge the kid. He may even hide from the kid. If a team doesn't want to shake, then the coach should Man-Up and tell the opposing coach to let his team know that there will be no hand shaking. All other fighting sports have a shake or hug after their match. Simply put it is about Respect.

I think shaking hands witht he coaches after a match promotes good sportsmanship. If a coach spits on a wrestler when they come over to shake his hand, the coach should be banned for life from coaching in the IHSAA.

Not shaking the hand of the coach instills an attitude in the wrestler of disrespect. The wrestler needs to say it on the mat not in an action of disrespect afterwards.

It is not about the hand shake. It is about a kid walking over to a coach to shake hands or bump knuckles and the coach doesn't acknowledge the kid. He may even hide from the kid. If a team doesn't want to shake, then the coach should Man-Up and tell the opposing coach to let his team know that there will be no hand shaking. All other fighting sports have a shake or hug after their match. Simply put it is about Respect.

What a true statement this is. I've seen it so many times where coaches turn their back. One did it to my son just the other night and my son lost to this coaches kid! But the coach felt his wrestler should have pinned my son so when he didn't he was pissed. My son stood right behing this coach and waited for him to turn around and then put his hand out only to get a limp wristed hand slap. Who is the "adult" here? All coaches should be available to shake a kids hand if the kid comes over to do so. Remember, they are not only coaching wrestling, but also teaching life skills and sportsmanship.

We shake hands with all wrestlers and coaches on the other team at the end of the dual meet.  We offer positive statements like "good luck the rest of the year" or "good match".  Our kids will shake other coaches hands after individual tourneys since we won't be lining up afterwards to do so.  We have explained to our wrestlers why we don't shake in between matches during dual meets so they understand our point of view.  Andwhenever a wrestler from an opposing school comes to us after a match we always shake hands with them.There are far more reasons to not shake than there are to shake.  We are not trying to disrespect anyone or any program in the sport we love.  We just don't find it necessary to shake hands all the time.  If the other sports like football, of baseball start shaking hands after each play then maybe my point of view will be changed.  Again, it not out of any disrespect for any opponent.

Wow!!  Why is this such an issue?  In a dual meet format, wrestlers shake hands in the face off, before the match, after the match, and again at the end of the meet.  Also, the wrestle shakes hands with the coach after the meet.  Why is it a big deal to shake the coach's hand after he wrestles, after all he did not wrestle him. 

As a MD fan,  I know things have been said to the wrestlers after the match that shouldn't be said.  Why expose a teenager to that?  How does that show respect?  Does it really show respect when a wrestler runs to the coach and just slaps his hand?

Who cares if they only shake the coach's hand once?

I really can't believe this came up again??????? Who cares!? I don't see the coach out there wrestling the kid why shake his hand? I wrestled for MD I never knew the story about the coach spitting on the kid but we never shook the coaches hand in grade school and we never shook it in high school either you shake it at the end of a dual but if you wanna talk at a tourny you can usually find each other after the match on the side of the floor.

Yes it is not in the rules.

So what!

If someone offers, then it is common politeness or Good Sportsmanship.

I think that it is common decency to extent your hand.

Ninety percent of the high schools in Indiana shake hands with the coach. If you don?t does that mean that you are rude?

Belmont has a great program but they don't shake hands with the wrestler after they have taken the time to walk over, just to be left hanging or embarrassed...

Let us treat our children with disrespect, what a lesson.

I say Rude! They are the only program in our area that doesn't extend the Sportsmanship.

your post is foolish and ridiculous enough that I don't think anyone has even bothered to respond to it.....

The way you talk, the only way to show sportsmanship is by shaking hands?????

What kind of lesson are you teaching your kids if you are judging people by whether they shake hands four out of five times on a night, instead of five out of five?

I would trust any of the three Bellmont coaches with my life, they are great guys that constantly stress sportsmanship, and always display it.

By the way, it's Bellmont. Learn how to spell

I fist bump everyone and usually say something nice.  Wrestlers do nasty things with their hands after a match.  A kid just wiped his face and nose, and you want me to shake his hand?  Let's start bowing... less germy.  I am tried of being sick during season.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.