#1 Howe vs #2 Burroughs

devildog47959

1 of the most anticipated matches of the season! #1 Andrew Howe (Wisconsin) defending National Champion at 165 vs #2 Jordan Burroughs (Nebraska) 08-09 157 National Champion

Jordan Burroughs was the #1 ranked wrestler at 157 entering the season last year, as he was the defending national champion. But just a few weeks into the season he suffered a season ending knee injury. He was given a medical redshirt and has now returned as a 5th yr senior at 165lbs.

This matchup was supposed to happen this weekend at the  Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational as Nebraska has been attending for as long as I can remember, But for whatever reason the Huskers decided not to attend. The next possible matchup between these 2 great wrestlers will come at the Midlands. (12/29-12/30). Wisconsin will wrestle @ Nebraska on 1/21.  Then the NCAA's in March. looks like like these 2 outstanding wrestlers will face off 3 times this season. Going to be some excellent wrestling, so who ya got?

Andrew Howe Wrestling Bio:

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/howe_andrew00.html

Jordan Burroughs Wrestling Bio:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=61&SPID=28&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=205039370&Q_SEASON=2010

I think these matchups will be the most exciting of year! I don?t know if Howe has wrestled anyone of this caliber at the college level. I think match 1 will go to Howe, but match 2 will be even closer as these 2 will have felt each other out in match 1, I think Burroughs might steal this one. Then comes match 3 at the NCAA's where it counts... I can?t see Andrew losing twice to the same opponent, so I have to take Howe with a 2-1 record against Burroughs, I want to say Howe 3-0 but I know how hard it is to beat such a great wrestler 3 consecutive times.

Howe hasn't wrestled anyone like this in college?  I agree.  Howe as a wrestler is way above college level wrestling.  Howe cut his teeth this summer at the international level and showed he is competitive with the best wrestlers in the world, regardless of age.  Burroughs is the one that has to prove something by moving up a weight and competing with a wrestler of Howe's caliber.  Also Burroughs has to show he is over the injury.  I agree this is the most anticipated matchup this year in college and I think Howe will not be challenged.

Howe hasn't wrestled anyone like this in college?  I agree.  Howe as a wrestler is way above college level wrestling.  Howe cut his teeth this summer at the international level and showed he is competitive with the best wrestlers in the world, regardless of age.  Burroughs is the one that has to prove something by moving up a weight and competing with a wrestler of Howe's caliber.  Also Burroughs has to show he is over the injury.  I agree this is the most anticipated matchup this year in college and I think Howe will not be challenged.

I agree, Howe doesn't have anything to prove. I think he'll work him over. How 6-2

#1 Andrew Howe (Wisconsin) defending National Champion at 165 vs #2 Jordan Burroughs (Nebraska) 08-09 157 National Champion

needless to say these two wrestlers are great at what they do. Has Andrew wrestled anyone of this caliber? Very debatable. Burroughs proves very tough i mean look at these matches, "Burroughs earned his third major decision of the year against Iowa State's Cyler Sanderson, defeating him 14-6 in the quarterfinals. In semifinal action, Burroughs claimed another major decision with a 12-4 victory over third-seeded Gregor Gillespie of Edinboro, and topped second-seeded and undefeated Michael Poeta of Illinois, 5-1, in the final." (08-09 ncaa's) Clearly smashed his way through a tough bracket to win a national title. Moving up a weight class somewhat changes the game, especially coming off a season ending knee injury. Aside from his family and maybe a couple other people in this world, I would like to see Andrew go 3-0 against Burroughs more than anyone. I'm also pretty confident he will. Wrestling people like Burroughs is what Howe lives for, tough matches that push him farther than hes ever had to push him self before is what this man gets off on. The reason why Howe wins wrestling matches isn't because hes the most technical wrestler in the world, its because in every match he tries to break his opponent. devildog47959: i completely agree that Howe will take the first match because I doubt Burroughs has wrestled someone like Howe, in the aspect that his goal in every match is to break his opponent. Match two might be a game changer, because once Burroughs figures this out about Howe, he might come prepared with a more strategical game plane. None the less I can't wait for these matches to happen. Good Luck to Howe in route to title number two.

Burroughs has wrestled somebody that tries to break his opponent every match....Brent Metcalf.  Metcalf beat him 6-0 and 8-4, I believe.

How has definitely not wrestled anybody with the athleticism Burroughs posesses. The match will come down to whoever can dictate their style.  If Howe can tie him up and grind him, he'll win.  If Burroughs can use that athleticism (similar to what Caldwell did to Metcalf) then he will win.

I think Howe how wins the season series 2-1, I just hope that 2nd win is in the NCAA finals.

#1 Andrew Howe vs. #4 Justin Kerber (Cornell) Finals at Cliff Keen Dec 4th

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/237925-cliff-keen-las-vegas-invitational/376930-165-lbs-finals-andrew-howe-wisconsin-vs-justin-kerber-cornell

Howe is so good at being patient and waiting for perfect time to strike! He will be very tough to beat!

No way Burroughs even comes close to finishing any of those shots he hit on Yohn against Howe, his positioning is just too good.  After watching both those videos posted, I'd give it to Howe on the mat and in neutral.  Burroughs is definitely more exciting to watch though, although that single Howe hits is absolutely nasty.

• 2 weeks later...

Howe in HS: 2,1,1,1

How in College: 2,1,?,?

Could have the exact same results.  Greatest wrestler in Indiana history.

You'll have to leave a space in the College list for an Olympic Redshirt year.  Hopefully even a spot on that years squad (and if we get lucky maybe another IN wrestler can join him).

Burroughs Named Big 12 Wrestler of the Week:

Burroughs earned the honor after going 2-0 during the week with two technical fall victories to improve his season record to 13-0 and 8-0 in dual play. Burroughs defeated No. 6 Cody Yohn (Minnesota) by technical fall, 23-7 (5:54), in the Huskers' dual against Minnesota on Dec. 9, before defeating Jon Brascetta (Oregon State) by technical fall, 26-9 (5:17), on Dec. 11

On the season, Burroughs has recorded 54 takedowns through eight duals and has yet to give up a takedown. The Sicklerville, N.J., native has been dominant all season having won seven out of his last eight matches by fall or technical fall, while racking up a team-leading 41 team dual points

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=56&SPID=28&ATCLID=205054495&DB_OEM_ID=100

On the season, Burroughs has recorded 54 takedowns through eight duals and has yet to give up a takedown. The Sicklerville, N.J., native has been dominant all season having won seven out of his last eight matches by fall or technical fall, while racking up a team-leading 41 team dual points

Burroughs is  Avg. almost 7 TD a match... How many will he have against Howe? Burroughs has yet to give up a TD... How many will Howe be able to get?

This is going to be an incredible battle of contrasting styles!  I am pulling for Howe, and  have little doubt that he'd beat Burroughs in freestyle, but I could see folkstyle going either way.  I was originally picking Howe, because of Burroughs coming off a major injury, but it looks like he's back to his pre-injury form. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.