Whats with Good Wrestlers Quitting?

Southern Single

This is just one of the reasons I love Freestyle and Greco.  Loved wrestling it and now love coaching it.

Freestyle and Greco are a complete change of atmosphere in the wrestling room and at tournaments.  The pressure is off, kids get a break from cutting weight, and it's just more relaxed.  As a coach, I don't have to track kids down and find out why they're missing a practice.  The ones who want to be there and want to improve are the ones who are at the club practices.

"Burn-out" can happen with coaches, too.  Some coaches put too much emphasis on folkstyle in the off-season.  That just gets redundant and boring for the above-average wrestlers.  These coaches completely miss the opportunities that Freestyle and Greco provide along with great number of benefits those styles can have on folkstyle.

Agreed.  The difference can be remarkable.  It's like a whole new sport. 

I think weight-cutting is one of the biggest issues with kids.  It takes such a toll on the body over an extended period of time.  It causes fatigue, makes it harder to recover, and takes the joy out of the sport.  I understand coaches need to fill out lineups.  However, they should try to let kids wrestle their normal weight, if at all possible.  They will be the ones getting stronger at the end of the season, not weaker.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good thread for discussion.  People quit for different reasons.  I agree that weigh cutting sucks.  But the current rules are followed there would be no weight cutting.  1.5% of your body weight per week is not cutting weight it is being disciplined.  Too many kids try the easy way of starving themselves to get down rather than working their butts off. 

Normally I don't agree with a reactionary but I agree with this statement......and vee believe in nothing.

A good thread for discussion.  People quit for different reasons.  I agree that weigh cutting sucks.  But the current rules are followed there would be no weight cutting.  1.5% of your body weight per week is not cutting weight it is being disciplined.  Too many kids try the easy way of starving themselves to get down rather than working their butts off. 

So a 14-18 year old kid who weighs 150 lbs and loses 2.25 lbs per week for 4-5 weeks and gets to 140 is no big deal?  These kids are growing.  Even losing 10 lbs can have a significant effect on someone, even if they did it the right way. 

So a 14-18 year old kid who weighs 150 lbs and loses 2.25 lbs per week for 4-5 weeks and gets to 140 is no big deal?  These kids are growing.  Even losing 10 lbs can have a significant effect on someone, even if they did it the right way. 

Depends on what his body fat % is.

So a 14-18 year old kid who weighs 150 lbs and loses 2.25 lbs per week for 4-5 weeks and gets to 140 is no big deal?

How about a 40 something  kid who weighs . . . somewhere over 150 lbs?  I've been trying to loose 1/2 lb for the last 4-5 weeks and can't do it, let alone  my 1.5% allowance!!

Parents - sometimes there is too much pressure coming from the homefront

A good friend of mine from back in the day, Andrew Clark (some of you may know him) was always getting pressured by his old man.  His dad was always on him about his dedication and intensity.  It got to the point where Andy (that's what we called him) wished he would just get hurt (maybe blowout his knee) so he couldn't wrestle anymore.  It also started changing his behavior as he started to get in trouble at school.  He even got a detention for picking on hairy Larry Lester.  Andy did eventually complete his senior wrestling season with an early exit in the Illinois State Tourney but I don't think that really bothered him because he had met this girl earlier in the year that made him happy (truthfully, I found her a little weird).  I haven't seen Andy in a number of years but I heard he has really ballooned up, man could that guy eat.

The wear and tear of weight loss over time can be as difficult and starving yourself, maybe even more so since it takes so much discipline over a long period of time.  Just look at society as a whole, how many people do you see (outside of a wresting tourney) who are at 7% body fat?  I came back into the sport in the last few years and I am hugely impressed with the physical abilities and strength of the majority of kids now.  When I wrestled in high school (78-81) there might be 2 or 3 guys in an area who looked like body builders, now there are 5 to 7 at any given match.  These kids work their tails off in the weight room, summer clubs, and with their diets (lets be real weight loss and weight management is the same thing, your not eating the same things as someone not wrestling) so it will always be difficult and at some point a kid may just start thinking it just isn't worth it anymore.

McDonalds fries are awfully tempting!

A good friend of mine from back in the day, Andrew Clark (some of you may know him) was always getting pressured by his old man.  His dad was always on him about his dedication and intensity.  It got to the point where Andy (that's what we called him) wished he would just get hurt (maybe blowout his knee) so he couldn't wrestle anymore.  It also started changing his behavior as he started to get in trouble at school.  He even got a detention for picking on hairy Larry Lester.  Andy did eventually complete his senior wrestling season with an early exit in the Illinois State Tourney but I don't think that really bothered him because he had met this girl earlier in the year that made him happy (truthfully, I found her a little weird).  I haven't seen Andy in a number of years but I heard he has really ballooned up, man could that guy eat.

Ding!  Post of the week.  Wahoo for you, my friend.

It was probably hard for Andy to keep up his stamina after he smoked all that pot in the library.....

This is just one of the reasons I love Freestyle and Greco.  Loved wrestling it and now love coaching it.

Freestyle and Greco are a complete change of atmosphere in the wrestling room and at tournaments.  The pressure is off, kids get a break from cutting weight, and it's just more relaxed.  As a coach, I don't have to track kids down and find out why they're missing a practice.  The ones who want to be there and want to improve are the ones who are at the club practices.

"Burn-out" can happen with coaches, too.  Some coaches put too much emphasis on folkstyle in the off-season.  That just gets redundant and boring for the above-average wrestlers.  These coaches completely miss the opportunities that Freestyle and Greco provide along with great number of benefits those styles can have on folkstyle.

I couldn't agree more!  Freestyle and Greco are being phased out by folkstyle in the off season.  Folkstyle is too slow and monotonous for kids to stay psyched up for year round.  Maybe we should take a step back in time when wrestling off season was fun!

In many of the replies, I see the words "being a champion". This is whats wrong with the sport, tomany kids get told that to get any respect, you have to be a champion. This is not true, I have alot more respect for the kid that starts out, does not win a match his 1st year, but stays with it, and eventually through hard work develops his mind body and spirit to be a productive if not excellent wrestler. Someone that can be counted on to go out and give it his best. Someone that has learned that being the best is not what it is all about, but being your best is all that anyone can ask of you. If that makes you a champion, fantastic, if that makes you a kid that only wins 30% of your matches, great. All anyone can ask is for you to work hard, and develop.

I used to be one of the dads that pushed to hard, was abrassive with the refs, and basically acted out of control from time to time. I learned that just relaxing and watching my son develop as a kid, a person, and a wrestler was alot more fun, for both him, and me.

To the kids, I would say if you have a dad or coach that drives you to hard, find another adult to talk to about it, use them as a relief valve when things get to hard for you, someone that you can go to in the tough times.

To the parents and coaches, I would tell you to remember these are kids we are talking about, listen to what it is you are telling them, and how you tell them. And most importantly, relax, its only wrestling, have fun and enjoy this while it lasts.

i am currently wrestling in high school and to be honest i cant wait until my senior year when i am done. im not going to quit though. dont get me wrong i love the sport, actually watching it is probably my favorite sport to watch out of anything. as for participating i just dont have the desire to do it anymore. this may be what is happening to the kids who are quitting.

I know at times while I competed in hs and college I wanted to quit and just hang it up. Even though I had won numerous tourney and titles. I discussed with my coaches that the fire was gone and I had thought about quitting. My coaches were understanding and allowed me to have some time "off" from the sport to sort things out. Eventually, the passion retured and I continued with the sport that I love. Now that I am coaching, I do things that are not wrestling related at all to break the monotnous repetition in the practice room. I involve my wrestlers and parents to sugguest outings that we can do as a team to get away from the sport somewhat in the season. One suggestion that I would give to a great wrestler before he/she quite is to remember why you started and how fun it was for you in the beginning and there is a means to an end!!!

One of the biggest causes IMO one good wrestlers' quite is the ageless battle that we have been fighting for years. THE WOMEN!!!! 8)

Andy did eventually complete his senior wrestling season with an early exit in the Illinois State Tourney but I don't think that really bothered him because he had met this girl earlier in the year that made him happy (truthfully, I found her a little weird). 

You don't put cereal and sugar on your sandwhiches?  Or use your dandriff for your art?

The kid had an eating problem during the wrestling season. Did you ever see what he ate at lunch time? I mean come on!

Picking on a kid is one thing, but taping his butt cheeks together? There's no excuse for that... :o

In some programs they keep the kids going all year then fundraising that takes a tole, coaches expect to go to all the national tour. or they think your slackin theres alot of pressure on these kids!! Sometimes they need a break to be a kid!!

In some programs they keep the kids going all year then fundraising that takes a tole, coaches expect to go to all the national tour. or they think your slackin theres alot of pressure on these kids!! Sometimes they need a break to be a kid!!

Unfortunately, you must do this to compete at a high level in athletics today.  I agree with you that kids need time to be kids, but if you are not training year round, you are not going to be able to compete with the teams that are, plain and simple.  A coach is judged by the success of the program, like it or not. 

Guilty of all the above with my first wrestler. Letting my 2nd one do it because HE wants to. I will get him to practice, matches and anything else he needs to make him as good as  HE wants to be. So far it  has worked. It has seemed to teach him more responsibility knowing that he chooses his weight and extra work needed to accomplish how ever far he wants to succeed in the toughest sport there is. Parents, you can push, but do it in a way that builds confidence. I have never seen a kid get on the mat to lose.

How about a 40 something  kid who weighs . . . somewhere over 150 lbs?  I've been trying to loose 1/2 lb for the last 4-5 weeks and can't do it, let alone  my 1.5% allowance!!

stop eating ***potty mouth*** ;D but seriously, eat only salad with some chicken in it and watch your weight plummet

When some kids turn 18 and go into the armed forces they will come back and say I am glad I was pushed so hard, I wouldnt havd made it without it....some kids return when they are older and say I am glad I got pushed to go the extra mile and didnt quit, I got the job I wanted because of it....some kids come back and say when times were tough I was mentally strong enough to deal with my son having cancer, I didnt give up...Some kids have come back and said I wish I would have continued, life isnt fair, easy, always full of fun and joy and I know testing myself in wrestling would have prepared me for life more than most things I did after I quit.  Why are kids feeling pressured to go a certain weight??? They declare a weight, they compete at that weight and the season goes on.  If they dont want to cut then dont cut, if you dont want to wrestle dont wrestle..life is all about personal choices, make them and go on..btw there is peer pressure in life too.. I am a big advocate that wreslting isnt for everyone, but if you start something you finish it, if you dont want to wrestle the next season dont start. Just some food for thought.

I completely agree. I myself have enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. I need wrestling to keep me motivated and to push me to my physical peak. Wrestling gives me the hardest workout I can ask for. I may get "burnt out" but then I realize how far I want to go this season and what I have in store for me in my future. Life isnt fair but we have to live it.

There certainly are parents that push too hard, but there are also a segment that don't push enough, if at all.  Allowing a kid to quit any sport to pursue a job or a car is poor judgment in most cases.  These kids are going to have to work for the next 40+ years of their life and the money they earn now isn't worth squat compared to their entire life.  Quitting for girls, well, that is the first in a long string of bad decisions over the opposite sex.

There may be a few who would disagree and offer the argument that kids need jobs, learn to work hard, etc.  I think that sports, especially wrestling, teach those skills better than most jobs available to high school kids.

There may be a few who think kids need the job to support the family.  I would suggest that really is the fault of the parents if this is truly the case.  That time would be better spent studying and breaking the cycle of poverty.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.