AN EXCITING IDEA FOR NEXT SEASON!

RankingsGuy

Hey Everyone,

I've talked to Y2 a little bit about this, but I wanted to post an idea that I had here on the board, and I am asking for feedback from the wrestling community (wrestlers, parents, coaches, fans, etc.) to see what you all think about it.. Here it goes:

Every year, at the beginning of the season, the NWCA puts together what they call the "All-Star Match" in which they invite the Top 2 pre-season ranked NCAA Division 1 wrestlers in each weight class to compete in an exhibition match against one another.  1 match per weight, 10 matches total.  The invite to compete is extended to #1 and #2 in the country in the pre-season polls, and then they have the option to either accept, or decline, and if #1 or #2 decline the invitation, then an invitation is extended to #3, etc. until the top 2 wrestlers who accept the invitation are found.

I feel like it would be very exciting for Indiana wrestling if IndianaMat.com sponsored our very own version of the All-Star match, in which I would extend an invitation to each of the top 2 kids in each weight class to wrestle one another (most likely with 5 pound allowance) in a 14 match show for the fans in mid to late October just before the first official practice..

My questions then, are...  would we, the wrestling community, attend?  Would the coaches with top ranked wrestlers be willing to send their kids to this All-Star match?  Would the kids want to compete in it?  Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.  Hopefully we can get this idea off the ground!

I am willing to bet the kids would be excited to wrestle in this, if they are one of the top kids in the state, they got there by wrestling the best, and this is just another chance for them to do so.

I am sure it would or could draw a decent crowd, depending on where it was hosted.

As far as the coaches, that is something that could be a problem, but if it was done pre-season, how much control do they have.

I would think that we could maybe get a little more exposure for the sport, depending on the rest of the sports landscape.

The biggest problem might come from the football coaches with the ones that have a lot of 2 sport kids.

Football was something I considered, and this causes the potential for the #1 or #2 kids to decline the offer, however, if it's late enough in October, half or more than half of the football teams in the state are already eliminated anyways.  I agree that the venue is a big factor in how successful the attendance can be.  One idea that I came up with to increase attendance would be to possibly invite 4 kids per weight, which would likely more than double the attendance.  This, however, would detract from the prestigiousness of an invitation.  Also, I think one huge benefit of participating in an event like this would be that college coaches would LOVE to attend something like this and get to see kids in action.  I am very confident that Purdue, IU, and maybe even Illinois, etc. in Division 1 would send a representative, not to mention all of the Division 2, Division 3, NAIA, and NJCAA coaches that would be interested in attending something like this.

Would the IHSAA sanction this?  And would that match count towards the points used for a wrestlers max of 18?

I cant see the IHSAA sanctioning this event, but they could suprise me, however that does bring up a question of insurance.

I like the concept....great idea ...

however, i do disagree with you RankingsGuy.  I do not think that inviting four will tarnish  the prestigiousness of this event.  Having a set of duals will still put a great highlight on those wrestlers and would still make it a prestigious event.  And 4 at a weight may bring in more college coaches and more interest.

This could be a great way to kickoff the wrestling season....

On top of the added recognition an event like this would draw from college coaches, and possibly the media, just think of all the discussion it would avoid on the rankings early in the season.

No, on second thought it would just change to why was so an so not invited, he placed higher at regionals last year than that kid did, he would have won hands down.

I love the idea, but attendance would rely on when and where it was held. If the competition was good enough to make it worth the cost people will be willing to drive to a location like Indy. It could potentially be as exciting as the state finals, which is definitely worth it.

I believe top 4 of every weight class from the previous state meet should be in the matches with substitutions for the previous seniors if they were 1 of the four and also throw in the next best 4 on this year's preseason poll that way its an eight man bracket well round and this would be a big draw in for college coaches seeing the best in the state as well as a large attendence which means more revenue as well as sport publicity and excitement and accurate State rankings for the preseason based off the results of the tournament

I've suggested before a semi-state vs semi-state All-Star dual tournament at the end of the year.  It would basically be the top guy at each weigth from each semi-state.  Seed the based on individual state placements and then have 4 vs 1 and 2 vs 3.  Winners face off in the finals and losers face off in the consolations.  Thats 2 matches per kids and the crowd gets 4 total matches at each weight class.  It may be possible to do the same type of thing at the start of the season too.  That would thus increase the number of competators state wide and bring in a more even number of people from those areas.  You still get the same great matchups but with a longer event and some evidence of how each semi-state would do that year at state.  Not quite the College All-Star meet but definitely interesting to fans from each area of the state, especially those who always want to compare semi-states against each other.  Semi-State tournament dual series would offer several decent matchups to over look some of the #1 vs #2 you didnt see,  last longer to be worth the travel, bring in an even group from all parts of the state, and  bring some hype by also offering the semi-state vs semi-state angle.  I could see the choosen semi-state coaches when compiling their team trying to use the semi-state pride motto to try and get a few top wrestlers and coaches on board that may hesitate.  Nothing like getting a rivalry going that you can extend from year to year.

If a perfect central location can't be found I'm sure alternating alternate between a north-central and south-central location with enough gym space could be possible.  Our gym may be on board for a south-central location.

I do thing the biggest issue would be fall sports in general though.  They will cut into many of the best matchups if it was just a 14 match meet.  

As a parent and coach I think this could be an event with the potential to increase overall participation numbers.  Kids want to be recognized, other kids want to achieve what someone in their school has already accomplished (or be the first), and every kid wants to be invited to the "All Star Team". 

Since many excellent wrestlers know they will never win the state title (due to the simple fact their are some super studs in their weight class) I think it has the potential to  help keep those kids who are losing interest in their Junior/Senior years in high school by knowing they could be invited to a "State All-Star" event.  A recommendation would be to coordinate the event with another event such as the Indianamat.com preseason (it would be the "All-Star" division) or coordinate with ISWA to have a joint venture to keep the cost down.

Get USA to sanction the event as an "Exhibition". All participants will need a USA card (most will have from club season). That way the insurance is covered and it will not count as an official match. Leave IHSAA out of this!!!!!

I think this is a great idea, I know I would love to see the matchups and gladly make the drive to watch these matches. I think the wrestlers would take it as a huge honor and be very exciting to take part. I think that wrestling coaches would feel the same way, good exposure for the school & team.

Football coaches might not like it, if they have a good season & make a deep run in the post season. I'm sure the wrestlers involved would want to get some mat time in 1-2 weeks prior to the event & possibly miss a little football. Hopefully if this does become a reality, the coaches of both sports could work together & agree that this would be great for the athlete and the school as a whole.

having just the top 2 would definitely be prestigious......but.......it would also draw the least amount of fans, parents and those college coaches.....and more than likely, you will get very few 1 vs 2 match ups because of fall sports, afforability for kids to travel (assuming the cost of this would fall on the kid/parents), etc........so rather than have just 28 kids, most of whom will be your "preseason ranked" 1 thru 4 or 5 lets say, invite 4 to 8 kids per weight group.......this will draw far more in attendence and basically be a preseason state finals type of show.......now that would draw a crowd and make for some interesting discussions once the real season winds down and we see who really makes it through the meat grinders and goes to indy......

It could be made a qualifying event; take returnees from Conseco, ISWA state winners, or national event placers, this way you would also get the new freshman accounted for  especially in the lower weight classes.

That way it would not limit the entries, but still keep a high level of competition.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.